Question for leo.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justsomeguy

deranged.......
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Gretna
    I have a question that concerns the open carry law in louisiana. I live in a nice neighborhood in gretna and work as a bartender on bourbon. I ride my bike to work and to do so i have to ride through a "not so great" part of algiers. When im on my bike i have a backpack to carry flat tire stuff and clothes in. The outer pouch of my backpack is a see through mesh type material. Am i within the open carry laws if i keep my pistol in that mesh pouch while its also in its holster? If a cop approaches me and looks at my backpack he would clearly be able to see it, but i wanna be sure before i do it.

Last edited:

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    The real question should be if you want the sheeple in that neighborhood to be able to see it?

I say it's a bad idea regardless if its 100% legal.

<<There is a better than average chance this post contains sarcasm>>

justsomeguy

deranged.......
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Gretna
    In a way i do kind of want it to be seen as a deterent if not easy access if the need arises. Id rather not conceal it, cuz there is a chance i could be stopped by nopd just cuz its obvious i dont belong in that neighborhood. I wouldnt be surprised if a leo questioned my reasons for being there. Even if it is just passing through to get to the ferry.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    In a way i do kind of want it to be seen as a deterent if not easy access if the need arises. Id rather not conceal it, cuz there is a chance i could be stopped by nopd just cuz its obvious i dont belong in that neighborhood. I wouldnt be surprised if a leo questioned my reasons for being there. Even if it is just passing through to get to the ferry.
    Doubt you would be able to get it out if you needed it. You would already be reacting, and adding time to remove the backpack from yourself, the pistol from your backpack, then the holster. Seems more like you're advertising something for someone to take from you, rather than maintaining an effective method of self defense.

justsomeguy

deranged.......
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Gretna
    Only other option is with my in the waistband holster and tuck my shirt behind it so its open carry legal. Thats what ive been doing, its just so damn uncomfortable on a bike pedaling. Im just trying to explore other more comfortable options.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Im not an leo, but IMHO, I would think it would need to be on your person.... Espcially with the fact that alot of officers are not familiar with the open c laws you will more than likely run into issues at some point..... Also leaving it on the outside of the bag like that seems like an easy route for someone to grab it from you.

I would just suggest working on getting a ccw permit.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    On my commuter bike I have a thingy of mace zip tied to the handle bars. Hardly noticeable and there mostly for dogs, however, if I need it for people its there. I suggest in your situation you do something similar until you can CC. Once you can there are great holsters that are still comfy on a bike. I have a crossbreed that has seen many miles around Baton Rouge with no trouble.

justsomeguy

deranged.......
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Gretna
    The club has a changing room with lockers in it. When i get there i go intk the managers office and the manager puts my pistol in the money safe till i get off.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Doubt you would be able to get it out if you needed it. You would already be reacting, and adding time to remove the backpack from yourself, the pistol from your backpack, then the holster. Seems more like you're advertising something for someone to take from you, rather than maintaining an effective method of self defense.

I'm with this guy. It seems like it would be much easier for some miscreant to get ahold of it than for you to.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    You'll have a gun, exposed to the world, that you can't get to. How much time do you think you'll have in any given SD situation? Seems pointless and possibly more dangerous to carry that way. I'd OC on my waste before that.

You'll also need some sort of GIS data for you're route. If you come within 1000' of school without a CHP, as I understand, you'll be breaking federal law. However, I don't know of any arrest or conviction where that was the sole charge. The law is stupid, but it exists.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Just wear it on your belt in a good retention holster and then secure it in the safe when you get to work. Don't overthink this so much.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    It's cool that your boss is understanding of the circumstances. You could end up in violation of LA 14:95.2 if you venture within 1000 feet of a school, but given the circumstances it would have to be for royally pissing off the officer or just encountering a real prickish one. As far as carrying it off your body, what you are describing sounds legal but not very advisable. Search harder for a more comfortable carry holster/position, and keep it on your body. You can easily be separated from your bag or bike.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    A bike is considered a vehicle in Louisiana law, just like a car. As long as he's on the bike, it's like having a gun in a car and the School Zone ban doesn't apply.

If you really can't carry it comfortably in a good holster on your body somewhere, you should look into some sort of holster that you can attache to the bike. You're asking for trouble with the gun so visible yet inaccessible. Maybe something like this: http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/ram-mounts-hand-gun-holster-handlebar-mount

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    A bike is considered a vehicle in Louisiana law, just like a car. As long as he's on the bike, it's like having a gun in a car and the School Zone ban doesn't apply.

That's a good point and yet another reason the law and its arbitrary distance are so asinine. You can legally pedal up to school, fully armed, or ride right on to campus if you're giving your child a ride home on the handle bars, but just don't walk up to the school armed. Stop at a gas station that backs up to a school: on your bike, you're ok; off you're bike, you're breaking federal law. Brilliant. The almighty Bush 1st signed that one.

This is the mess men make when they abandon logic, use maternal instinct, and pander to security theater when making and interpreting laws. Here's more of the mess based on that law:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/batf_school_zone.pdf

Top Bottom