Question for our mechanics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    I'm car shopping right now and I'm leaning towards a 2007-2011 camry at the moment based upon reputation of the car over the years. I'm leaning towards going back to school and pursuing my phd so I won't have much of an income in the near future and am wanting a vehicle that won't give me any problems. Toyota had a lot of recalls a few years ago and I wanted to check with the guys who work on cars day in and day out to give me their $0.02 on camrys in the year range I listed above. Are they in fact something I can really on still or have they lost a step? Online reviews look ok but want to be sure from my friends on the forum. Thanks in advance.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    If you find a vehicle record the 17 digit vin# and enter it on Toyota's website for a list of recalls. http://www.toyota.com/recall
    I have not found the Camry's to be problematic. There is some chatter about oil consumption because of stuck rings. I have witnessed this with the 2.4 4 cyl. but FWIW I am seeing this with a variety of manufactures.

headcase

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Metairie, LA.
    Toyota reliablity

I have had 2- 1999's, 1- 2000, 1- 2006 and now drive a 2009 Camry and have had no major problems with any of them. I still own one of the 1999's, the 2000 and the 2009 Camry. All are 4 cylinder Camry LE's. I have done nothing on the 09 except change the tires 2 months ago. The 1999 and 2000 have had the water pumps, the timing belts, brakes and batteries replaced. my 1999 needed a starter 6 months ago. All have had regular oil and filter changes and minimum regular maintenance. No oil burning problems with any of them. I was told the V-6's were the ones with oil consumption problems. The oil drain passages in the heads were sludging up and stopping the oil from draining back into the oil pan causing puddled oil to be drawn into the cylinder thru the valve seals and causing oil consumption problems. My work vehicle is a 2003 GMC Safari van and have had many more problems with it. Way too much to list here. I highly recommend Toyota Camrys. The 4 cylinder models are cheap on gas and just seem to run forever. Genuine Toyota parts are expensive though. I have had good luck with mine, although I've heard the newer models are more problematic. Just my two cents!

Laid Back

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Livingston Parish
    I currently own a 2007 with the 6 cylinder engine. I drive it to work 130 miles a day and I have not had a problem with it other than the A/C is starting to not be as cold as it used to on one side. I currently have 205,000 miles on it.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I currently own a 2007 with the 6 cylinder engine. I drive it to work 130 miles a day and I have not had a problem with it other than the A/C is starting to not be as cold as it used to on one side. I currently have 205,000 miles on it.
    I'm really not trying to hijack this thread, I have a question about the A/C though. What's the cause for the A/C not blowing as cold on older vehicles? If the fans are working properly, the cooling fins not clogged, and the pressures check out then what gives? Clogged TEV?

Top Bottom