Questions about a Rem M700 build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm kicking around the idea of building a rifle around a 700 action and looking for suggestions on what action to start with. Stainless, blued, older or newer built? Other than finish are there differences between ADL, BDL, CDL that would make one better to start with than another?

To give an idea of the finished product. For sure this will be on a short action in something in the 260 Rem ballpark with a finished barrel length probably less than 24" and at most 26". Thinking probably a #5 taper at the heaviest. At this point I'm not sure if I would buy a used factory gun in some caliber that I already reload for and shoot it for awhile, save up some money and then rebarrel and blueprint at a later date or buy a used gun that's already had work done but that's where I'm at right now.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    The actions are the same except for "regular" or stainless steel.

If you are going to have the barreled action coated in a quality finish such as Cerakote IMO either works but some people want the added insurance of the stainless action.

For the .260ish family I would not undercut the performance of the round by reducing the velocity with a barrel shorter than 24". If you don't reload I would suggest 6.5 Creedmoor and buy the 140 grain Hornady AMAX ammo. Crazy accurate at a fair price with much better ballistics than a .308Win.

Great all around caliber for hunting or target shooting.

Last edited:

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I'm kicking around the idea of building a rifle around a 700 action and looking for suggestions on what action to start with. Stainless, blued, older or newer built? Other than finish are there differences between ADL, BDL, CDL that would make one better to start with than another?

To give an idea of the finished product. For sure this will be on a short action in something in the 260 Rem ballpark with a finished barrel length probably less than 24" and at most 26". Thinking probably a #5 taper at the heaviest. At this point I'm not sure if I would buy a used factory gun in some caliber that I already reload for and shoot it for awhile, save up some money and then rebarrel and blueprint at a later date or buy a used gun that's already had work done but that's where I'm at right now.

What is the intended use of the rifle? Long range paper punching or hunting? Average range hunting rifle? For a hunting rifle at normal distances (less than 300 yards) I'd rather have a lighter and shorter barrel.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    What is the intended use of the rifle?

The plan is for a general purpose target/hunting rifle. Cartridge wise I'm pretty familiar with what's available and what will meet my needs. The McMillan A-3 sporter is at the top of the list for stocks. I've been looking at different actions and leaning heavily towards a 700 because they seem like a pretty good balance between cost, quality, and aftermarket part availability.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Well then it sounds like you got it all figured out.

Action 700 - yes they are a good compromise for quality and cost and a very accurate rig can be built around one.

Barrel - Just about every reputable aftermarket barrel shoots. I'd stick to Bartlien, Krieger or Rock.

Stock - You said McMillan, with them you can't go wrong.

Now pick a trigger and bottom metal an you have the rifle. Tuned factory triggers work well and can save you some money by using it instead of going aftermarket. Decide on if you want DBM or a blind or hinged floor plate and select the best option.

After that its a base, quality rings and an optic followed by years of happiness and accurate shooting.

In short order with some practice you can make shots you would have not dreamt of before.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Win1917....it sounds like you've got your stuff together. Depending on how you plan to get your donor action, you would be way ahead to spend the extra couple of hundred dollars to step up to a good aftermarket like a Stiller or Defiance action. They are 700 clones and can run the same aftermarket parts for the most part (even have the same footprint) but will be much less of a "craps shoot" on the tolerances of your action. By the time you buy a 700 action, have it trued, buy a new recoil lug, have a side bolt release installed, pin the recoil lug, thread the handle, and purchase a new bolt knob....you just paid for a Stiller Tac30 but may not have as tight tolerances. Now I've seen some 700 actions that will shoot and it would be more than accurate and robust enough for a general purpose target/hunting rifle, but I'm just throwing the comparison out there.

I mirror Barney88PDC's advice about the .260 barrel length. The cartridge really likes at least 24" of barrel length. For something stubby it's hard to beat a .308 and how forgiving it is with barrel length.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Depending on how you plan to get your donor action, you would be way ahead to spend the extra couple of hundred dollars to step up to a good aftermarket like a Stiller or Defiance action.

Funny you mention that. I had been looking at the Stiller Predator and then last weekend at a gun show a benchrest shooter friend of mine talked me into going the 700 route but as I'm penciling it out I'm not seeing huge savings either. I wish I had more of a plan in mind when there was that Stiller group buy on SH last year cause that would have been a great way to go.

I mirror Barney88PDC's advice about the .260 barrel length. The cartridge really likes at least 24" of barrel length. For something stubby it's hard to beat a .308 and how forgiving it is with barrel length. [/QUOTE

I agree with what you guys are saying. It'll be a good while yet till cash actually starts getting plunked down for this project so that's why I'm not too worried about specific cartridges yet. I plan to do at least some HP silhouette shooting with it so the cartridges I'm looking at somewhat revolve around that discipline and I like wildcats so still looking at a variety of options.

crazy_mike

Cautious
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Lafayette,la
    for a starter rifle i would suggest going with the savage axis .308, if u are tight for money, has a 22" barrel and i have read on some of the forums guys putting a 5/8" spacing at 500 yds. I purchased one the other day at walmart 257.00 NIB at walmart, and it isn't made cheap like the remington model 770 nor the weatherby vangaurd, but affordable to start, and on a budget build :)

tashle1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Pointe coupee
    To my knowledge the only difference in the adl, Bdl, and cdl is that the adl has blind magazine. The Bdl and cdl both have hinged floor plates cdl has fancier finish, all of the actions are the same. I absolutely LOVE my .260 rem.... I only cheat on her with a 6.5x284. Either way the .264 bullet is hard to beat! My next build will probably have a stiller action, the .260 and 6.5x284 are both remy actions, but as stated the stiller is in the ball park after smith work. My only regret is going with 22" barrel on the 260. Would/will go with a minimum of 24"... More than likely 26" krieger 1:8 so that I can get those 140s moving a little faster.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    When choosing a Remington donor action the only thing one really has to look out for is if they want to have a BDL or ADL set up (fed by internal magazine). The Remington actions that come on rifles set up with Remington's detachable magazine system from the factory do not have the internal feed lips in the feeding port. If you plan to go with a DBM from the start then it's a non-issue, but there is that difference with those actions. I learned that the hard way when fitting a stock to a new build and the rounds wouldn't load in the internal mag.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    for a starter rifle i would suggest going with the savage axis .308, if u are tight for money, has a 22" barrel and i have read on some of the forums guys putting a 5/8" spacing at 500 yds. I purchased one the other day at walmart 257.00 nib at walmart, and it isn't made cheap like the remington model 770 nor the weatherby vangaurd, but affordable to start, and on a budget build :)

I have GOT to get me one of THOSE!!!

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    for a starter rifle i would suggest going with the savage axis .308, if u are tight for money, has a 22" barrel and i have read on some of the forums guys putting a 5/8" spacing at 500 yds. I purchased one the other day at walmart 257.00 NIB at walmart, and it isn't made cheap like the remington model 770 nor the weatherby vangaurd, but affordable to start, and on a budget build
    smile.gif

I have GOT to get me one of THOSE!!!

Uhhh....Bonjour!!

bonjour.png

Last edited:

crazy_mike

Cautious
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Lafayette,la
    lol i"m just starting, so of course im gonna start on a budget, i'm not gonna just go out and spend a couple of grand on a rifle then another grand on a scope :)....so it is a starter rifle to see how it does, i can always sell it once i get alittle better lol

shaggy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Northshore, LA
    By the time you finish working over a Remmy action, you're already into a Defiance.

McMillan - cant go wrong.

Barrel - dont overlook Brux. Great barrels.

Trigger - Timney are cheap enough and will do you proud.

DBM - CDI is relatively affordable, and makes a good product.

Top Bottom