Questions about becoming a Cop

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I have always wanted to become a cop but just never pursued it. What are the qualifications to become a cop? I have always heard that pay is horrible but the retirement is great. Pay is not a huge concern for me but I would like to know an average salary I can expect for starting out. What are the physical requirements? What do you go thru on your day to day? Is 25 years old too late to start?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    You need to pick a location as every question you asked will vary from LEA to LEA. New Orleans will be different than Franklinton.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    You have to be able to drive in the left hand lane all the time.
    You have to speed yet not feel bad when you give someone else a ticket
    You have to be a hypocryte, but most times an a-hole.
    I can go on and on, there are a lot of good policemen out there, and I respect them, don't let the bad ones I just ranted about stop you. I loved being a police officer, but the corruption in my parish made me pursue another career. It is very rewarding at times and can be the best job in the world.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    You have to be able to drive in the left hand lane all the time.
    You have to speed yet not feel bad when you give someone else a ticket
    You have to be a hypocryte, but most times an a-hole.
    I can go on and on, there are a lot of good policemen out there, and I respect them, don't let the bad ones I just ranted about stop you. I loved being a police officer, but the corruption in my parish made me pursue another career. It is very rewarding at times and can be the best job in the world.

You learn this after the academy. Quit giving away secrets :)

tso

Observing...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Covington
    You can always become a reserve first, see how you like it before making the jump. Both SPD and STPSO have reserve programs. Both agencies require POST certification for reserves.

As others have pointed out, each agency is different. PM me and I can give you the contacts for each agency.

Steve

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA

There are talks in the works to "unfreeze" a couple of positions to open up for hiring, but you have to get on the list first. Go to the city personnel office and sign up to take the civil service test for police officer, if you pass they will have you take the physical test (Cooper standards for sit-ups, push-ups, and mile and a half run, I think they did away with the sit-and-reach flexibility test). There's an extensive background packet to fill out. If you pass and get on the list, they start from the top when positions are opened up.

Retirement? There's a pension plan, but read/watch the news and decide how much you want to rely on just that. There is a deferred comp investment available, too, and currently a fair amount of details available, a couple of overtime grants for seatbelt/DWI enforcement. I think the starting pay is $14 and change/hr., increases with reaching different pay grades, occasional step increases (used to be yearly, lately only when they can find some extra money). Uniform allowance, state supplemental pay after a year, take-home priveleges cost a monthly fee, but it's not unreasonable. No residency requirement. I started at 26, twelve plus years ago.

Day to day? Last week on night shift we had pursuits two nights in a row, one almost to Gulfport, one into NOE ending in a crash at Bullard/Haynes. Those two women who stuffed the old dude in the ice chest? I was the first officer they told that crap to the other night. Then there will be months with nothing near that exciting or strange. Many have described policework before as "long hours of frustrating boredom punctuated by sudden instances of extreme stress and terror." That can be very true in Slidell. New Orleans, depending on district, probably runs a constant backlog of 35+ calls at any time, so start to end the shift is busy. Our dispatchers get in a tizzy if they're holding a barking dog complaint and a report of an abandoned vehicle at the same time. Many nights, in the early morning hours, we can go 3+ hours without a call for service. I still love what I do, though, and have trouble imagining myself doing anything else.

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    Well whatever you decide, dont become a cynical A-hole & whine about shitty cops, then quit. Be the kind everybody says was professional, cared, was concerned, & did everything he/ she could to be a positive influence on society. Become the kind of cop you would want to help you if you ever needed them.

On second thought, screw it, dont do it.

Slidell is top notch, you WILL receive great training (I went there, um, a few years back, be paid middle of the road for LE in La, and have room for advancement. The job can be extremely rewarding, give you some great experiences that no one else will ever get to experience, have days that you feel like you made a difference, etc... There will also be some crappy days, but they are way outweighed by the good you do. Give it a try, you can always quit.

You took the words right out of my head.Very well said.

Top Bottom