queston for the hunters

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan6726

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Boyce,La.
    Im looking for a opinion on lever action 30/30s. Who makes a decent quality lever action? Want to start doing more hunting and want to give a lever action a shot. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Winchester, Marlin, Browning (not sure if they do .30-30) are the main ones. You might also look at Henry, but their rifles are a little heavy. You can probably get a used Marlin pretty cheap.

The .30-30 is really a great and often overlooked round. It used to be the deer hunting round.... it still works fine.

Lyle Savant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Central (NE Baton Rouge, LA)
    Killed my 1st deer w/ a Winchester .30-.30, never had any problems w/ it. To my knowledge, Henry was the original.

Go w/ Leverevoluton rounds by Hornady & get the scope made for that round.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    To me, a lever action rifle for hunting in the wake of modern rifles is like CC'ing revolver in the wake of semi-auto pistols. It's nostalgic, but no longer practical. And to me there is nothing wrong with the firearm per se. However, to each his/her own. I suppose wanting to toy with an older nostalgic mechanism is like me refusing to go to a modern cross bow instead of a compound.

As for your question, and unless someone disagrees, I don't think I've heard of any problems with any of the aforementioned brands off the shelf. I mean, if there was a particular brand of gun that was tagged for having problems out of the box, it would most likely end up having a bad reputation throughout the gun world. It wouldn't last long in the market.

What your motivation for using the lever action in the first place should dictate to you which brand and "production age" of lever action you seek. But consider what type of hunting you are going to be doing. Shooting over large fields? Brush busting? Running behind dogs? Close quarters?

Lyle Savant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Central (NE Baton Rouge, LA)
    Winchesters seem hard to find lately. If you get a Win., try and avoid the old Model 94, which ejected out the top & req'd a Side-Mount Scope. The 94 also had an issue w/ holding the Blue Finish on the receiver.

There's a guy on here that has a .30-.30 for sale or trade, new in box; I would look him up. Nice looking gun.

Sneakybuffalo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2014
    United States
    Marlins are having major quality control issues since Remington took them over in '08 I think. They are getting much better, but are still having issues reported daily on other sites. If you buy new, make sure to give a Marin a good look and make sure everything is functional and before you shoot it, make sure to strip it down and give it a full cleaning. There's no telling what is inside the action. An older used, but in good condition gun will be cheaper and likely a better rifle than a new one.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I have an older marlin 336 before the additional safety and I love it, works great, lightweight and handy. I don't see it as nostalgic, or unpractical, I see it as fitting the bill. Good round, Good ergonomics, good action, what more do you need? Works great without a scope for me.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I wouldn't buy a new production Marlin even at 80% off. Just my .02
    fb24b2b299ce9c7dee688b415039cb11.jpg

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    To me, a lever action rifle for hunting in the wake of modern rifles is like CC'ing revolver in the wake of semi-auto pistols. It's nostalgic, but no longer practical. And to me there is nothing wrong with the firearm per se. However, to each his/her own. I suppose wanting to toy with an older nostalgic mechanism is like me refusing to go to a modern cross bow instead of a compound.

I started hunting deer with lever actions and single shots with open sights as well as scoped pistols because I was getting tired of how easy it was using a scoped rifle.

Dan6726

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Boyce,La.
    Many thanks. Forgot i had a savage magazine fed in the safe i got on a trade. Put it up and forgot about it. I still want a lever though.

Top Bottom