Range Safety at Sherburne

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    Today while teaching new shooters how to handle a pistol at Sherburne WMA, I watched an unknown shooter repeatedly walk to his target during live fire. Sh!t for brains, who was at the other end of the bench, never signaled or yelled before moving down range. Shortly thereafter my group finished shooting. A friend calls the range cold with everyone in acknowledgment before heading down to retrieve a spinning metal target, during which I observe sh!thead fumbling with his weapon. Luckily he did not fire any rounds while other people were down range but I was looking for it to happen and prepared to do something about it.

Does anyone know who I could contact while at the Sherburne WMA firing range about this sort of thing?

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    You should have gone and have a talk with him about range safety and etiquette. I sure don't hesitate at my home range to call down anyone who is unsafe.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I find it's the older gentlemen with the worst habits. I get swept routinely by men who look to be in their late 80s. How do you tell a guy almost triple your age he is acting unsafe?

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I find it's the older gentlemen with the worst habits. I get swept routinely by men who look to be in their late 80s. How do you tell a guy almost triple your age he is acting unsafe?

You have to yell because they all turn their hearing aids off at the range. ;)

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Today while teaching new shooters how to handle a pistol at Sherburne WMA, I watched an unknown shooter repeatedly walk to his target during live fire. Sh!t for brains, who was at the other end of the bench, never signaled or yelled before moving down range. Shortly thereafter my group finished shooting. A friend calls the range cold with everyone in acknowledgment before heading down to retrieve a spinning metal target, during which I observe sh!thead fumbling with his weapon. Luckily he did not fire any rounds while other people were down range but I was looking for it to happen and prepared to do something about it.

Does anyone know who I could contact while at the Sherburne WMA firing range about this sort of thing?

And what did you do about it? Did you talk with him about his practices?

When we see stuff like this, we need to man up and take care of the issue. It might save someone else's life.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    When we see stuff like this, we need to man up and take care of the issue. It might save someone else's life.

+1000 People might think you're being a know-it-all or an ass, but you just gotta put a stop to stuff like that. If I were at the range and saw someone walk out during live fire, I would stand up and holler "CEASE FIRE" every time. Dude would have gotten the point.

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    This guy was in his 20's and apparently did not care about his safety let alone others. Every time I noticed he was down-range, I called cease-fire. My group could hear the command but other shooters on the range could not. I could and probably should have approached him about such actions but instead I decided to leave the range. I don't want a showdown at the shooting range as that would end bad for all parties. I could and should have gotten an authority figure on the range since the place wasn't mine but I was still going to have to leave the range for that.

twokids

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Oscar, LA.
    Do the right thing and point out how unsafe he was acting, I am sure that if you asked other shooters to walk down there with you they would assist you. Having the other shooters beside you reinforcing the point that he was not acting responsibly or safely should get the point across.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Stop going to public ranges, usually that tends to weed them out.

At least at a semi private place they will have some sort of board member thingy-ma call it group that you can aproach.

Also you should become a CRSO, its easy enough to do and when they ask "who the hell are you to tell me?", they usually take it a little better when you show them that its not only commun courtesy, its range safety and you have taken a course that "qualifies" you as a designated safety person. NOTHING I hate more than having a "safety" person at a range that has never even open a training book, makes them look like idiots.

Last edited:

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    If you don't say any thing and he hurts or kills some one can you live with the fact that you didn't say anything? Be polite, but don't hesitate. Contact Dept of wildlife and fisheries immediatly if any one is unsafe, and wont listen. I would get off the range if some one was endangering me.

cheese

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Went to Sherburne on Sunday, and I have to say that there was a good group of people there. As far as I could tell everyone was handling their weapons respectfully and people were on their best behavior when someone called a cold range.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom