RDS on a handgun: Who is doing it, what are you using, and how do you like it?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have 5 RMR's with a 6th on the way. I like it, All of them are RMR's (though I have a PA micro reflex and burris FF2 on some plinkers I rarely use).

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I tried it, an RMR on a G19. It was neat, but just didn't feel natural to me and I didn't want to get used to shooting that way and have my iron sight instincts suffer, as that is what I'm most likely to need. I made a decent deal on it and got some different toys with the money.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I ran a deltapoint on my G34, loved it. As long as you put suppressor sights on for a backup, I would say jump in. I found it MUCH easier to shoot accurately from 25-50 yards, but not all that helpful inside 25 yards. Low light was a totally different story. I never did night fire with it, but in lower light it was a million times easier to pick up the dot that it was to line up sights, even night sights.

The only two negatives I can really think of are the availability of retention holsters (might not be a factor for you), and you do have to worry about battery life eventually. on an EDC, I would make it a ritual to change out every couple of months just because.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I just put one on my Browning Buckmark, for fun. The gun has a rail on the top, so it attaches easily. I got a sight with quick release, so I can easily shoot with or without. It wasn't an expensive one, about $70 I think. Just wanted to see if I'd like it. So far, just been to the range once with it, and it wasn't bad, once you get used to it. I need to dial it in, shoots low/left a little. Just need to play with the adjustments, that should be easy to correct. Initial impression is it can be helpful when you get used to it, especially for competition shooting, i can see why they like them for competition. However, I don't know if I'll get one for any other guns, or I don't plan too. Not sure they are worth the expense and hassle for any gun unless you have a specific reason for having one, or if you have a gun with a rail and it's easy to mount, then not a bad thing to play with. But if you have to modify a gun to mount one, then I would think you'll need a really good reason and really need one to go through that expense and trouble. For most shooters, I doubt it would really be worth it to mount on a gun that doesn't already have capability to take one easily. Buckmark-RDS.jpg

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    I tried it, an RMR on a G19. It was neat, but just didn't feel natural to me and I didn't want to get used to shooting that way and have my iron sight instincts suffer, as that is what I'm most likely to need. I made a decent deal on it and got some different toys with the money.

X2

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I plan to go to Honey island not this weekend, but possibly the next. I can bring my pistols if that's something you're interested in

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have 5 RMR's with a 6th on the way. I like it, All of them are RMR's (though I have a PA micro reflex and burris FF2 on some plinkers I rarely use).

I ran a deltapoint on my G34, loved it. As long as you put suppressor sights on for a backup, I would say jump in. I found it MUCH easier to shoot accurately from 25-50 yards, but not all that helpful inside 25 yards. Low light was a totally different story. I never did night fire with it, but in lower light it was a million times easier to pick up the dot that it was to line up sights, even night sights.

The only two negatives I can really think of are the availability of retention holsters (might not be a factor for you), and you do have to worry about battery life eventually. on an EDC, I would make it a ritual to change out every couple of months just because.

I just put one on my Browning Buckmark, for fun. The gun has a rail on the top, so it attaches easily. I got a sight with quick release, so I can easily shoot with or without. It wasn't an expensive one, about $70 I think. Just wanted to see if I'd like it. So far, just been to the range once with it, and it wasn't bad, once you get used to it. I need to dial it in, shoots low/left a little. Just need to play with the adjustments, that should be easy to correct. Initial impression is it can be helpful when you get used to it, especially for competition shooting, i can see why they like them for competition. However, I don't know if I'll get one for any other guns, or I don't plan too. Not sure they are worth the expense and hassle for any gun unless you have a specific reason for having one, or if you have a gun with a rail and it's easy to mount, then not a bad thing to play with. But if you have to modify a gun to mount one, then I would think you'll need a really good reason and really need one to go through that expense and trouble. For most shooters, I doubt it would really be worth it to mount on a gun that doesn't already have capability to take one easily. View attachment 66927

I plan to go to Honey island not this weekend, but possibly the next. I can bring my pistols if that's something you're interested in

Thank you all for the input.

Noob, I'll PM you my number. Thanks for the offer.

Topgunz, I'm sure I will be faced with the same challenges that you had. That's what has kept me away from this as long as it did.

Liberty, the holster holster and battery issue will be easy to address.

I'm looking for information regarding using the RDS on a duty style pistol. I will be doing this on a glock 17. I'm debating on getting the slide milled for a RMR. I have read tons of stuff about the RMRs acting up on slides (turning off/on, flickering, etc). Anyone experienced any issues with a RMR?

Thanks,

JR1572

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Cmore sights STS works for me at the 150ft mark.
    They are said to hold up just fine on a 1911 slide.
    Dot is micro fine. Using a American Defense QD mount.

90d07226f94d2f7a623d86e51b5a0c09.jpg

Last edited:

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Thank you all for the input.

Noob, I'll PM you my number. Thanks for the offer.

Topgunz, I'm sure I will be faced with the same challenges that you had. That's what has kept me away from this as long as it did.

Liberty, the holster holster and battery issue will be easy to address.

I'm looking for information regarding using the RDS on a duty style pistol. I will be doing this on a glock 17. I'm debating on getting the slide milled for a RMR. I have read tons of stuff about the RMRs acting up on slides (turning off/on, flickering, etc). Anyone experienced any issues with a RMR?

Thanks,

JR1572

I've got quite a few rounds through my G17 with Unity Tactical ATOM slide. Unknown the exact number but taking into consideration how many classes I've shot with it and what the round count typically is I'd guess around 15k. I've used pretty much all of the RMRs, the Deltapoint, and the Aimpoint Micro. I'm still on the micro. I just prefer a sealed system. Adjustable LED is also the way to go.

I don't find different at all going between a pistol with RDS and a pistol with just irons. Using a RDS actually made me better/faster on irons. If you are tabeling a pistol correctly to create a horizontal plane to get proper sight alignment/sight picture with a RDS then you are doing it properly for irons. I guess what I'm getting at is mechanics are the same. I treat a FSP like a red dot and superimpose it on the target like a red dot. I think Chilie Palmer with VTAC showed me that trick. Either him or Mike Green.

The issues with the RMR are valid. The sight was never meant to have that many g's ripping on it. The battery connections are the issue. Currently the only purpose built centerfire pistol optics on the market that I know of are the Deltapoint Pro and the Sig. Same guy designed both. Andy York who now is the president of sig optics. In talking to him there are issues with the DP that he is aware of that he fixed when designing the sig stuff.

If you are going to mill your factor slide I would recommend having the ATOM cut done to it to allow you to play with different systems.

For duty/combative use......I don't know. I guess I could see reasons to have it to aid in shooting. Especially when shooting in-extremis.

-Chris

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

Thanks,

JR1572

I have experienced the "flicker" on my RMR 06 before. Never an issue on my 01 or 04's. There's been a couple times when I noticed the dot either too dim or missing in between shots. Doesn't happen often, but it has happened. I run co-witness sights, so I can still see my sights. But on my Zev d17, it doesn't have a rear sight, so it's a lot more important for that one to be reliable. I have another adjustable LED coming in, and am doing another glock 17.

I also run an aimpoint of my glock 34 and a member here made me a holster for it. Not something you would conceal, but its quick since the sight doesn't cycle with the slide. So there will be some longevity there.

5B95F532-1EB3-40DB-B476-70826AB9B42D_zpsrs5nhbph.jpg

CC1EA9D0-95F4-42BD-9EAB-173753AB487A_zpshf5lem8j.jpg

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    I've been having a rmr on a glock for several years. Often the flickering dot is attributed to the battery being loose in the housing, a couple of small pieces of masking tape between the battery and backing plate/slide snug the battery fit.
    I never have experienced a flickering dot, but just recently I have been having extremely short battery life, last two batteries lasted only 8-10 days each. first two batteries made it over 12 months each. I may try another battery just to see if it is a fluke before I send it off to Trijicon.
    Red dots are the future especially for aging eyes. They will only get better and better and more compact as time goes on.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have experienced the "flicker" on my RMR 06 before. Never an issue on my 01 or 04's. There's been a couple times when I noticed the dot either too dim or missing in between shots. Doesn't happen often, but it has happened. I run co-witness sights, so I can still see my sights. But on my Zev d17, it doesn't have a rear sight, so it's a lot more important for that one to be reliable. I have another adjustable LED coming in, and am doing another glock 17.

I also run an aimpoint of my glock 34 and a member here made me a holster for it. Not something you would conceal, but its quick since the sight doesn't cycle with the slide. So there will be some longevity there.

5B95F532-1EB3-40DB-B476-70826AB9B42D_zpsrs5nhbph.jpg

CC1EA9D0-95F4-42BD-9EAB-173753AB487A_zpshf5lem8j.jpg

I've been having a rmr on a glock for several years. Often the flickering dot is attributed to the battery being loose in the housing, a couple of small pieces of masking tape between the battery and backing plate/slide snug the battery fit.
    I never have experienced a flickering dot, but just recently I have been having extremely short battery life, last two batteries lasted only 8-10 days each. first two batteries made it over 12 months each. I may try another battery just to see if it is a fluke before I send it off to Trijicon.
    Red dots are the future especially for aging eyes. They will only get better and better and more compact as time goes on.

That's my whole issue with this. There are cases all over the internet regarding the RMR issues. I have problems with putting tape on the battery inside of a $500 plus optic that I'm carrying on a gun used to defend myself.

If I wanted a toy I'd put a vortex RMR in a dueck defense mount and drive on. However, I'm going in the other direction. I've seen this discussed on P&S and if you question any part of the Roland Special the pitchforks and torches come out only to proceed you being burned at the stake.

Thanks noob and dmiculek.

JR1572

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    That's my whole issue with this. There are cases all over the internet regarding the RMR issues. I have problems with putting tape on the battery inside of a $500 plus optic that I'm carrying on a gun used to defend myself.

If I wanted a toy I'd put a vortex RMR in a dueck defense mount and drive on. However, I'm going in the other direction. I've seen this discussed on P&S and if you question any part of the Roland Special the pitchforks and torches come out only to proceed you being burned at the stake.

JR1572

ATEi is the only slide modifier that I know will hand fit the exact RMR you order to the slide. Supposedly you don't need to add tape with one of his slides, but I don't have one of his, so I can't say for sure. Just reiterating what the Roland fanboys say.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

JR1572

For the record, I've had ZERO issues with any of my 3 dual illuminated RMR's. I even run one on my full auto m10. Works well enough for me, and with my severe astigmatism, all the dots look larger than they really are, but the dual illuminated doesn't look as harsh to my eyes.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    ATEi is the only slide modifier that I know will hand fit the exact RMR you order to the slide. Supposedly you don't need to add tape with one of his slides, but I don't have one of his, so I can't say for sure. Just reiterating what the Roland fanboys say.

There's a guy in Metairie that will mill and tap your slide specifically to your optic. He builds 1911's also I just cannot think of his name. Met him at a plate match and a lot of guys recommended him.

BTW, the Zev fits the RMR so tight, that you literally have to tap it with something to get it in/out.

Top Bottom