Recommendation on 38spl defense loads...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leeshall

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Suburban NOLA
    Although a backwards loaded wad cutted would indeed be a nasty piece of work, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use anything other than factory loaded ammo for defense carry. In the civil trial that would always follow a self defense shooting, the other side would absolutely demonize you for concocting your own ammo. "What's the matter, factory ammo wasn't deadly enough? You had to make something worse to shoot my poor client." A uninformed Jury would eat this up and hang you out to dry. Doesn't matter if the District Attorney deems it a righteous shoot and not prosecute you, the bad guy and/or his family will come looking for a pay day. Nuff said.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Although a backwards loaded wad cutted would indeed be a nasty piece of work, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use anything other than factory loaded ammo for defense carry. In the civil trial that would always follow a self defense shooting, the other side would absolutely demonize you for concocting your own ammo. "What's the matter, factory ammo wasn't deadly enough? You had to make something worse to shoot my poor client." A uninformed Jury would eat this up and hang you out to dry. Doesn't matter if the District Attorney deems it a righteous shoot and not prosecute you, the bad guy and/or his family will come looking for a pay day. Nuff said.

I agree totally. I only use factory for a carry gun. Never tried to load a backwards wadcutter, but think it would work.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I have some winchester +p, plain lead hollowpoints, think it was the FBI load they came up with back in the day. It's what was issued so it's what I have.

I'm sure LSP972 will be along shortly to set the record straight.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I don't know whether or not your pistol is rated for +P, but mine is not, that is why I use Federal Nyclad rounds in it. NyClad's are good enough that police all over the country carried them for decades, and that is good enough for me.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    In Louisiana, it very much does matter.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

Know of a case where this has actually happened?

rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    shot the s&w model 642 today with 125 grain lead bullets, 2.7 grain of red dot.

also went to wal-mart and got a cheap ($5) golf glove to wear when shooting the 642. glove made all the difference in the world.

the glove is just a suggestion when shooting very light handguns. takes a lot of the "sting" out.

rp

Top Bottom