Recommendations for dSLR camera for a beginner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Hey photography gurus and camera experts...

What would you recommend as a good entry-level dSLR camera for a beginner? Canon? Nikon? Or something else?

I would like to keep my budget in the $500 thereabouts if possible. Thanks!

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    I'm no hobbyist or expert, but my first was Nikon D3000 (now the D3100). Advanced features but also great on auto and it meets your budget.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Go and try out different models and pick which one you prefer the feel for. I'm a Canon guy myself. Buy used or if you can get a broken Canon P&S you can great refurb deal from Canon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    the cameras are like trucks.

each year a new model comes out to one up the other. and each model has to be taken at its sum of features.

for instance.
    f150 is > dodge chevy
    tundra > ford chevy dodge
    dodge 3500 > ford chevy

and each new model MAY change that.

on a dslr you are really using the LENS. the LENSes dont generally work across brands.

i prefer canon. and have cannon lenses. i like the cmos sensor on canon vs the CCD of nikon

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I was in the same boat a couple of months ago. Ive alwas been a canon camera guy and started looking at the entry level DSLRs. I settled on a Nikon D5100 with the standard 18-55mm lense and a 35mm lense. Bought the camera from bennetts and ordered the lense from newegg. Total spent, $700 with both lenses and memory card. The camera and standard lense was $450. Ive already taken about 600 pics and am having a blast being back into photography.

Sent from an unregisteted mobile device.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Get an older body without all the bells and whistles and a prime (non zooming lens). A Canon 20D and the Canon 50mm 1.8 would be good for a very small budget (under $400). For a slightly bigger budget get an original Canon 5D Mark I and a Canon 50mm 1.4. Would be about $900.

Set the camera and lens to manual mode and force yourself to learn to focus and set the exposure by hand.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Nikon D40x is what I'm currently using, excellent quality photos. I have several Nikon cameras and also a couple of Canons, but prefer this particular one. Do a google search for Nikon D40x, saw several outfits with lenses included for around $300 - $350 on eBay.

Last edited:

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Bought a Canon T4i last year and love it but I'm sure the Nikons are just as good. Watch Amazon for sales. Pretty common to get $200- $300 discount for buying the camera, 15-55mm lense and zoom lense.

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    I am partial to Nikon, mainly because that is mostly what I have used, but I don't think you could go wrong with either a Canon or Nikon. I bought a Nikon D50 several years ago and I am embarrassed to admit it but I have only taken it off of the "point and shoot" mode once or twice since I have had it. It just takes fantastic pictures in the automatic mode so I haven't needed to change it. The best part is I can hand it to my wife or kids and don't have to explain anything, just show them where the button is and the camera does the rest. Of course, that is probably true for most if not all of them these days, but for my photography needs it certainly fits the bill. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I was given a Nikon D50 a few years ago and it's great. I don't use the advanced features, typically just play around with shutter speed or aperature and that's about it. 90% of the time I use it like a point and shoot and keep it on auto. I'm not a photographer by any means but the pictures always come out looking very nice.

You can get a body for $100-150 off ebay and lenses are $50-100 depending on what kind you want. Very low investment, good way to get started, easy to resell when you are ready to move to something newer/better.

Last edited:

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I would recommend getting a efurb D3100 for $350 shipped. Amazing little camera. Comes with a 18-55 kit lens which is all you need to start out with. Then spend $200 and get a 1.8 35mm prime for low light. It's closest to a 50mm on full frame. You'll spend $550 and have a powerful set up.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I use a Nikon d3s and love it. A bit out of your price range though.

I started with Canon (20D, 40D, 5Dmkii) then went to Nikon d3s. Love the Nikon, miss the Canon wheel.

What will you be using it for primarily?

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Lots of good suggestions. Thanks!

The camera isn't for me. I guess I should have been more specific. It will be a gift for my wife. She has been wanting one for a while. While I'm not saying that she couldn't figure it out, I'd like something that would be simple to operate so that she can start using it right away and be able to take decent pictures without getting frustrated.

I have been eye-balling the entry level Canons and Nikons. I've been told by others to stay away from the Canon T3, but that the T3i is good to go. I'm really liking the looks of the Nikon D3100 and the reviews of it seem favorable. :dunno:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Forgive me for how weird this sounds, but I have smallish hands and small cameras are too small for me. Maybe it's because I'm used to the grip on my Nikon.

I don't know. My camera body fits my style and whatever.

Feel free to PM me. I've worked with several camera companies so just let me know what you decide and I can point you in a good direction.

Last edited:

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Forgive me for how weird this sounds, but I have smallish hands and small cameras are too small for me. Maybe it's because I'm used to the grip on my Nikon.

I don't know. My camera body fits my style and whatever.

Feel free to PM me. I've worked with several camera companies so just let me know what you decide and I can point you in a good direction.

You're used to the grip probably. I was fine shooting standard ones until I started using a battery grip and now standard entry dSLR's seem ridiculously small. They are nice!

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    If y'all aren't douches ill add you to some amateur Facebook photo groups that shoot stuff and learn together.

And you can try some high end lenses I have.

Also if anyone wants to shoot muddy mayhem let me know

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If y'all aren't douches ill add you to some amateur Facebook photo groups that shoot stuff and learn together.

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

Muddy Mayhem? I'm intrigued.

Oh, and I promise I'm not a douche :)

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

Doesn't BS and douchbagery go hand in hand. I'm interested in joining some groups. Granted school and 3 gun take up the little free time i have now a days

Top Bottom