Recommendations or suggestions on blueing kits

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    i have a parker hale that i got for free and don't want to spend a whole lot of money on.. shoots great though, but needs some touching up. i bought a blueing kit and never used one before. i've been looking on some youtube videos and it seems pretty easy.. does anyone have any advise to pass on to me.. i've heard its good to heat up the metal before applying the blue.

Thanks for the input!

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Some steels will take a certain bluing solution better than others. I've had to try several before finding what worked for a particular gun. Brownells products are great, but Birchwood Casey tends to be more available. If the B/C Perma blue kinda/sorta works, you can try the Super blue, which is the Perma blue on steroids.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1072/Product/OXPHO-BLUE-reg-

Do your research. Once you get behind all the gimmick products this is the best. Of the cold blue's it hold up the best, protects the best, goes on the easiest with great results.

Some steels it'll give a cyan tint to them. But coat the part with a light machine oil and let it set. After a while the cyan color fades. I've used it quite a bit over the years. BEST cold blue on the market. Period.

Dave

Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    I've used the Birchwood Casey Perma blue before on an old Belgium Browning HI-Power. Worked great if you take the time and do it right. A technique I used is pretty simple but go slow. I started by using steel wool, sand paper, and bead blaster to get all the old blueing and junk off. Then lightly polish it with steel wool, once its got a nice even color on the metal from rubbing it down with the steel wool clean with alcohol and let dry. once dry soak a cotton ball with the blueing chemical and saturate the metal with it. let it sit for 1-2 minutes dabbing where needed if color changes to much in one area than others. after the 1-2 minutes is up dip in cool water and rinse well. wipe it dry and then lightly polish with steel wool again. the first few time it will look like you are taking off what you just put on but this is very important to get a nice even finish in the end. Just repeat these steps as much as needed. I would say at least 8 or so times depending on how the metal takes the coats and how old and how dark you want it. after all done buff it down with a terry cloth or microfiber and coat in your favorite oil (not solvent) and wrap in a rag for a few days to soak in the oil into the metal. remove wipe down with a clean cloth and BAM like new shiny blue. It works great if you just take your time. Try posting some before and after shots on here. would love to see your success

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have used the Brownells Oxpho stuff with good results.

I saw this at Cabela's which should tell you how good it is if they are willing to carry a direct competitor's product. It's more at Cabela's but you don't have to pay the $17 hazmat charge or shipping costs.

dmurph

Serious as dick cancer!
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Huntsville, TX
    The Birchwood Casey kit is excellent for a beginner as it is easy to get a smooth finish if you follow the directions. As stated, there are better products on the market that can provide a nicer finish, however if this is your first time blueing I suggest the BC kit. Ill emphasize prep work and take your time, I start with a 220 grit cloth backed and work up to a 500 (depending on the finish i want), then I polish with 0000 steel wool and clean (alcohol) and dry. Apply a smooth even coat and watch for runs, rinse with cool water buff with 0000 steel wool and apply more coats in the same manner. I have tried heating the metal with a heat gun before, and with the BC kit it gave the metal a rainbow tint (think New England or H&R) so I stick with no heat and a cool rinse between coats. A word to the wise, if you are going to do this project at the kitchen table, put down some drop cloth.... nothing worse than a pissed off wife because you dyed the table blue! good luck!

Top Bottom