RED Flags (Read Between the lines)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Since there are quite a few of us that undertake transactions on this board, craigslist, louisiana sportsman and others I was interested to hear some your RED Flags. Things that made you call off a transaction or just feel like the person on the other end of the text or call was not being straight forward, or had another motive. Maybe some tips on what to say or not to say. Or relate a deal that wasnt right that you had, to give us all some insite.

Myself just recently a person text me and said they were offshore, they went on to say they would have their wife meet at a place of her choice. Was this ment for me to lower my gaurd? Weather it was legit or not I did not pursue the deal.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I think that's overly paranoid.

+1

There are two sides to every thing but it would make sense to me if I really wanted what you were selling I would also make sure my wife is comfortable with a location if I am not able to be there.

Look at it this way if you had a loved one you could not be with just in case wouldn't you want them to meet someone in a public place rather than dark alley?

Think about the Craigslist killer and you might have a different perspective.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Never had any issues on this board, but I was REALLY close to buying a pistol from a guy that was supposedly located in Alabama. I contacted him via a phone number that was in his ad and he kept addressing me as "good sir" which was just weird. But he seemed pretty straightforward so I figured he was an elderly chap that was simply respectful. When I asked him which FFL he'd be sending it out of he gave me the name of some supposed sporting goods store. I googled and couldn't find it. He proceeded to tell me he would get me the number for almost a week before I told him I wasn't interested anymore....almost 2 weeks later I got an email from armslist saying "A post you replied to has been flagged as a scam" and it was that very same post.

Just be smart and don't deal if you feel any suspicion. To the OP though, unless I was selling a firearm I wouldn't mind meeting the guy's wife or any other family member, but i would bring a friend along with me a a witness.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    ANYTHING When dealing online, I tell everyone I know - if ONE thing doesn't feel right. Call it off. Advice came in handy just yesterday. A buddy is searching for a BMW on Craigslist and all the usual sources. Found one nearby and called the guy. Spoke very little english. Had an out of state number. Claimed he didn't know what a VIN was. Swore up and down the car was single owner garage kept, mint. Finally got the guy to send a picture of the VIN and he searched it on Carfax (also use AutoCheck to be sure) and it had a salvaged title.... He could have saved the money on the carfax by just being aware of the red flags - out of state number, little english, blatant lies, etc. So yeah, if something makes you go HMMMM, it isn't worth your trouble or your life.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Since there are quite a few of us that undertake transactions on this board, craigslist, louisiana sportsman and others I was interested to hear some your RED Flags. Things that made you call off a transaction or just feel like the person on the other end of the text or call was not being straight forward, or had another motive. Maybe some tips on what to say or not to say. Or relate a deal that wasnt right that you had, to give us all some insite.

Myself just recently a person text me and said they were offshore, they went on to say they would have their wife meet at a place of her choice. Was this ment for me to lower my gaurd? Weather it was legit or not I did not pursue the deal.

it depends. if he's offshore and genuinely wanted it sold maybe he did send his wife. stupid imo, but some people are naive.

My red flags are/have been:

won't give me the serial over the phone
    pushes to meet right now/asap for the deal. cuts price almost in half to sell it right now right now.
    hesitates or gets annoyed when I ask where they got the gun.

My standard advice:

meet somewhere public, in the daytime.
    bring someone with you, and if possible have another friend nearby but not physically AT the location.
    arrive and pull in at such a way where I can text the make/model/tag to a friend. now even if my phone is taken etc, I have a record.
    demand ID. some people don't like it, but its a must if you deal with the wabbit.
    when I find out the serial I call/text the serial to have it verified that it isn't stolen.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner

To expand, I was the seller and it was a gun. And the supposed offshore texter did not identify himself as a BS member

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    it depends. if he's offshore and genuinely wanted it sold maybe he did send his wife. stupid imo, but some people are naive.

My red flags are/have been:

won't give me the serial over the phone
    pushes to meet right now/asap for the deal. cuts price almost in half to sell it right now right now.
    hesitates or gets annoyed when I ask where they got the gun.

My standard advice:

meet somewhere public, in the daytime.
    bring someone with you, and if possible have another friend nearby but not physically AT the location.
    arrive and pull in at such a way where I can text the make/model/tag to a friend. now even if my phone is taken etc, I have a record.
    demand ID. some people don't like it, but its a must if you deal with the wabbit.
    when I find out the serial I call/text the serial to have it verified that it isn't stolen.

All good advice and hopefully helpful to the less experienced.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    To expand, I was the seller and it was a gun. And the supposed offshore texter did not identify himself as a BS member

I've said it before and I'll say it again- I've had bad online exchanges, but never from bayoushooter. Every single time I've met someone off bayoushooter in person it was someone I'd be inclined to drink a beer with. Never had a bad deal off this site.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I have no problem selling things to people in person. I meet somewhere public and pay attention to what is going on around me. Buying things, especially not in person, is the only time I'm ever concerned.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Do not ever send money for a gun from Armslist or any other site that lacks a rating system.
    This is a sample response for a scam: "where are you located and do you have an FFL?"
    After insisting that I want to meet FTF, I am told that she wants to ship it and gives me this info for payment:
    Account Name: Betty F McElyea
    Account Number: 9590314721243
    Routing number: 031101169

FFL Details:

Palm Bay FL Shooting Ranges FFL
    Private FFL: (904) 206-8691

Thanks

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Who do you call/text for this verification? An FFL holder? LE agency?

police dept/SO. I work there so I just text the serial and have them run it. You could call or show up and request the same.

alternatively, there are websites and apps you can use. Hotgunz for example is growing in popularity.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    police dept/SO. I work there so I just text the serial and have them run it. You could call or show up and request the same.

alternatively, there are websites and apps you can use. Hotgunz for example is growing in popularity.

Most UCR compliant LEA's will not run a serial number without a valid reason.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, But do you have to be a member to view this site now ? I think Austin had put in that feature awhile back ?

It's once you visit x amount of times I think 5 or so.

That's what I thought too. I tried to have one run once in Kenner and didn't get anywhere. They wanted me to bring the gun in and since I didn't have it they told me no.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

wow. even before I worked there I'd call and say "i just bought a gun and i'd like to make sure it isn't stolen"

They'd have me bring it in and they'd run it every time. I'll have to inquire about that.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, But do you have to be a member to view this site now ? I think Austin had put in that feature awhile back ?

Many of the sections you cannot view without being logged in. You can view five topics (in the non-restricted sections) without being logged in. After that it pops up saying to login or to register. There are a few easy ways around that, but no need to go into them. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom