Red Jacket AK Rear Sight Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    So I was rewatching the Sons of Guns episode where they made the integrally suppressed AK on the DVR and I got to thinking about how the sights were mounted. At one point they were testing the rifle without the rear sight attached at their range. The suppressor worked great but the accuracy wasn't stellar, I can only assume it was due to the lack of a rear sight and because they were merely interested in testing the suppressor's function.

All this led me to wonder about how the rear sight is attached. In another scene later in the show the rear sight seemed to be attached to the dust over. I am curious why a sight would be mounted at that point. I thought dust covers were generally pretty loose on Ak's. Can someone please explain this a little better to me?

Last edited:

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    I realize it's TV. I just thought AK dust covers were notoriously loose. I thought that was why they made a receiver mount for scopes and red dots. If this is correct then why would someone mount a rear sight to an AK's dust cover?

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    They weld HK mounts to the dust cover. You can't make an AK dust cover lock up like a vault, but if they are well fitted they are reasonably functional.

Not to mention that these are custom guns so the dust cover is likely tightened up more than your regular $400 AK from the pawn shop.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Yes, IIRC they do modify the top cover for a tight fit. I highly doubt they'd put their name on a rifle that you couldn't aim.

If you want to know more, just PM Will directly here on BS I'm sure he'd gladly answer your question. ;)

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm going to talk them around noon about doing that very thing, so stand by for updates. I also need a few other things done...

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Welding the HK base on the dustcover only works on Saiga's or those with similar heavy dustcover's . No problems in 10 or so years of doing it . Wouldn't do it on a AKM cover . Will

Top Bottom