Refinish advise - what say you guys?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I have an older W. German SIG P220. Nice gun. Shoots like a dream. I dont ever "plan" on getting rid of it (never say never, right?). The thing is, from my understanding, it was carried by a Port Cop back in the day so the finish is a little on the nasty side. Not terrible mind you, but could use some love. So I'm thinking:

1) Leave it alone. Its a gun, it has character and history and just go with it. Or...

2) Have the slide refinished and satisfy my OCD side.

Resale value? Eh, its not some super rare Smith or Colt. Not a TON of them floating around but again, I dont really "plan" on selling it anyway. But if I did need to, you think it would kill the value at all?

Just some thoughts running through my head and value the input of a lot of guys on this board.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I forget the name of the coating, but there's always some booths at the Slidell and Great Southern gun shows. Might as well refinish it if it's to your liking. It's just a Sig.

Edit: Just a Sig, meaning it's a mass production, see them every day gun. Like a Glock, I wouldn't bat an eye to modify it if I felt I wanted something done.

Last edited:

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I forget the name of the coating, but there's always some booths at the Slidell and Great Southern gun shows. Might as well refinish it if it's to your liking. It's just a Sig.

Edit: Just a Sig, meaning it's a mass production, see them every day gun. Like a Glock, I wouldn't bat an eye to modify it if I felt I wanted something done.

Yeah, I knew what you were getting at.

It has some slight pitting on the slide so a coating would probably be the way to go. Hopefully would smooth it out a bit. Its such a cool gun and I know its porky and heavy and doesnt have the capacity that even my compact carry gun has but damn, its such a cool gun. It has character. :)

marmy7451

Bill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Livingston Parish
    I have several P220's that have been refinished with Tuff Gun

My P220's are OLD ( 1977 vintage) and have Browning on them (they were the importer at the time) That had extensive use after I got them, particularly the 38 SUPER. I had the slides done in Tuff Gun, a moly disulfide product that is very corrosion resistant and has high lubricity. Have over 10K round through all of them since refinish and still look great and the cost is under $150 each.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    My P220's are OLD ( 1977 vintage) and have Browning on them (they were the importer at the time) That had extensive use after I got them, particularly the 38 SUPER. I had the slides done in Tuff Gun, a moly disulfide product that is very corrosion resistant and has high lubricity. Have over 10K round through all of them since refinish and still look great and the cost is under $150 each.

I dont think I've ever seen Tuff Gun. That sounds like a cool finish. You have a picture you can post? I'd love to see them.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I've always loved the way Robar refinishes pistols.

Here's a pic of one in Robar NP3 that Speedracer sold for a friend of his back in '08

5p44dn5euh6hz9zmvy4i.jpg

They don't get any prettier than that.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I've always loved the way Robar refinishes pistols.

Here's a pic of one in Robar NP3 that Speedracer sold for a friend of his back in '08

5p44dn5euh6hz9zmvy4i.jpg

They don't get any prettier than that.

Truth. On certain guns colored coatings make it look cheap, and I feel the Sig P series is one of those. That NP3'd 220 felt and looked like a $1200 pistol, and the coating is damn near bulletproof.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    NP3 is a Robar exclusive finish. They invented it and they're the only ones who can do it.

It's NOT a spray on finish, it's an electroless nickel type finish. Just about anything you get from anywhere else will be a spray on unless you go with hard chrome.

Robar does a couple of nice black finishes as well and their prices and turn around are very good.

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    The NP3 finish by Robar is outstanding. Check out their website. I have had 3 guns done in NP3. Cleaning is easier. If you want to shoot or carry a gun a lot this finish is worth it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom