Refinishing Stainless Revolvers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    You can use any media you want. But whatever it is has to be perfectly clean. The SS will oxidize some because of its carbon content and the oils from handling/cleaning can stain it unless you spray with a clear.
    The only real way to avoid that is to polish it and that kinda defeats the look your after

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    You might want to make a comparision between matte, raw finishes and polished, smooth finishes. IMO, polished SS cleans easier and has, for lack of a better term, "closed pores" that resist staining. I've owned some SS 1911's that were two-tone
    polished and matte, and the matte part started to show blemishes first when I shamefully neglected them.

Ruger also uses a Duracoat type paint to make their Super Redhawks and some rifles that Target Grey color, so maybe they don't like the rough matte finish for their stainless models.

Let us know what works best on your RH, I might do the same on my .357 RH.

Buck8Point

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Plaquemine, LA
    You can use any media you want. But whatever it is has to be perfectly clean. The SS will oxidize some because of its carbon content and the oils from handling/cleaning can stain it unless you spray with a clear.
    The only real way to avoid that is to polish it and that kinda defeats the look your after

I was wondering about that. I wouldn't really want any kind of clear coat on it.
    This is exactly the kind of input I was looking for before I went and did it...
    Thanks
    Buck8Point

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    The SS will oxidize some because of its carbon content and the oils from handling/cleaning can stain it unless you spray with a clear.

So my statement has been bothering me since I said it. It didn't quite make sense so I started searching.
    I was wrong.

Here is some basic reading and you can Google the term from there.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passivation

hope it helps

Top Bottom