RELIABLE Semi auto in 308 - suppressed... please report

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aurellevi

Intermediate
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Oct 1, 2013
    Denham Springs
    Okay, sass are out of the question
    300 Blk is anemic. I have them in semi and bolt. Does not lay out pigs as DRT to my liking. I wanted the Blackout to be "the one" and have gone though all the variations of ammo and optics and at the end of the day it is a fantastic anti-bipedal urban solution, a decent white tail round within 100-150, and barely better than 556 against pigs which is 95% my application.

300BO<Grendel
    Grendel<308

I've considered the SCAR but they won't warranty it if you suppress it.

Edited because at first I was like ah I hadn't really thought of Armalite because I have DPMS/SR25 pattern mags but LOL at the SASS prices I'd go Noveske or LWRC.

Maybe a better specification would have been - is there a NIB 308 in the $2000 - 2500 range that works reliably suppressed - it appears the cost of admission is ~ $4000.
    Okay, sass prices have gone up quite a bit. That and the Armalite pattern mags would add to overall investment. Thanks for the specification.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Sorry -I meant rifle length buffer tube. I think the gas is intermediate but the guns are with a smith at the moment.

Craddock Precision will make you whatever you want, however...

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    This doesn't directly answer your question but what range are you looking at? If it's not over 250 yards, have you considered a 300 blk rifle? Given your needs, the 300 may be ideal. It's got the same bullet as the 308 but is designed to be shot suppressed out of a shorter barrel.
    This X 1000.
    Way easier to get the AR15 to cycle using subs than the AR10.
    There is simply not enough gas produced with a subsonic load to reliably cycle that big BCG with the heavier buffer, buffer spring etc. you’re working with basically the same pill and same charge. The pressure is about the same due to the caliber being the same, just more resistance. You CAN handload better ammo for certain rifles. A lot of folks get lost on that. All your commercial sub ammo looks for the 1000fps mark. I’m here to tell you that 1100fps is still subsonic. While a 220gr pill is about maxed out at 1000fps in a 300 BLK case due to lack of room for powder, you can push a 147-168gr bullet up to 1100. By the same logic, you can load a heavier bullet in a .308 case at higher subsonic velocity and have a better chance at reliable cycling. Even 5.56 AR’s require heavy bullets to cycle (near 90gr) when shooting Subsonic ammo.
    More times than not, I’ve improved the performance of my rifles by developing loads to suit them.
    There are AR 10 rifles that are special built capable, but it’s a challenge to set up one off the shelf I’m sure.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Been looking at the daniel defense.

Not looking to add a caliber : 300 HamAr.

Have come to believe that for packs of pigs the Grendel is the minimum and the 308 is ideal.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    300 Blk is anemic. I have them in semi and bolt. Does not lay out pigs as DRT to my liking. I wanted the Blackout to be "the one" and have gone though all the variations of ammo…..
    22LR is anemic, but I’ve killed big pigs at the feeder with it suppressed (ear shot) Supersonic .300 BLK is basically the equivalent of 7.62x39. Yeah, people deer hunt with AK’s and SK’s, Mini-Thirty rifles and what have you. Not the best choice either.
    You want to chuck a .30 cal bullet through an auto rifle while suppressed. The .300 on an AR15 platform will generally do that without a lot of fuss and it’s the best option, hands down. Doing it consistently from an AR10 is more difficult and maybe more impressive, but not one bit less anemic. It doesn’t matter if you’re sending that 220gr bullet down range at 1000fps with a wrist rocket or a 7.62 NATO battle rifle, it’s still a 220gr bullet traveling at 1000fps.
    Are you just wanting to have the option of going high power rifle in the field? I can’t see lugging around a 10 pound rifle to hunt suppressed when you can do it with something smaller. And unless you’re loading your own .308 subs, the cost and availability would change my mind pretty quick.
    Also, I don’t have a huge variety of barrel lengths in .300 to do my own testing, but I’d be willing to bet you’d see some significant difference in bullet speed with the supers from a 10-12” barrel over a 4”.

Last edited:

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I'm not shooting subs. I'm shooting 135-155 gr supers out of the 308. There is a huge difference in energy and performance between a not quite 2200 fps 110-125 gr blackout and 135-155 gr pushing 3000 fps.

I'd make a strong case the 300 Blackout is a superior choice for subs - most 308 twist rates mean you have to use a lighter 30 cal bullet in them then the 208-240 gr a Blackout can handle.

I'm looking for more "dead right there" performance, quickly, and suppressed.

Hopefully the 10's come home working. If not the DD looks like the least expensive factory option that is likely to work off the shelf without tinkering. TBD...

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I'm not shooting subs. I'm shooting 135-155 gr supers out of the 308. There is a huge difference in energy and performance between a not quite 2200 fps 110-125 gr blackout and 135-155 gr pushing 3000 fps.

I'd make a strong case the 300 Blackout is a superior choice for subs - most 308 twist rates mean you have to use a lighter 30 cal bullet in them then the 208-240 gr a Blackout can handle.

I'm looking for more "dead right there" performance, quickly, and suppressed.

Hopefully the 10's come home working. If not the DD looks like the least expensive factory option that is likely to work off the shelf without tinkering. TBD...
    Ok, I’m clear now. When people say they’re hunting with a suppressor I guess I just automatically assume with suppressor ammo. I didn’t notice you mention otherwise in the original post.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland

Leafbloer

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Slidell
    It has been mentioned and it is 100% true. Galil Ace Gen1 308 16" with kns and Sandman-S no issues 1.5-3moa depending on ammo.
    20240402_220754.jpg

Leafbloer

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Slidell
    The Ace series supress very well the fit and finish is custom shop grade from the 4 I have owned. I have not ran it in a class yet but hopefully I will get a chance this year to to run a 2500 round weekend on this gun.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I see at one point they released them with a fixed top rail - that would make them a lot more interesting. I'm looking for appreciably better than 3 MOA but if it is a true 1.5 and it works every time, that might be OK

Leafbloer

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Slidell
    I see at one point they released them with a fixed top rail - that would make them a lot more interesting. I'm looking for appreciably better than 3 MOA but if it is a true 1.5 and it works every time, that might be OK
    It's 3moa or less with tula steel case take that for what it is. It's favors 155g to 168g more so the 155g. I am not by any means an expert marksman and rarely shoot groups other than to zero. I have only shot tula steel case and GGG $1 a shot match so I am sure their are better factory and hand loads available just an option for you OP.

Top Bottom