Reloading data websites

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Currently I'm using a fairly generic mid power load for my .40 to plink with. I've been using my Lyman book as well as Hodgdon's website for loads. I've decided to try and make my loads as close as possible to the PD loads I keep in my pistols at all times. I exclusively keep Speer Gold Dot's loaded for my USPf and my carry P2KSK. (180 grGDHP's) I think I'm going to switch my CC loads to their Short Barrel GDHP's since they're optimized for a 3.5" barrel. Most loads I find are specd for a 4" barrel. Are there more in depth sites I'm missing that will allow me to tailor a load to mimic the Short Barrels? Or is there a formula that will convert muzzle velocity FPS between barrel lengths?
    For the record:
    -------------------muzzle________50yds
    180 Gr GDHP's..... 1025 fps ... 956 fps
    180 Gr SB GDHP's ... 950 fps ... 898 fps

Last edited:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna

I've had this one bookmarked for a few years. Beauceau data there, just not specifically what I'm looking for.
    Doing some poking around some old shooting mags, I think I found the answer. It seems that you lose roughly 20% of your velocity for every inch of barrel lost. IE: 5" barrel tested load gets, say, 1200 fps. The same load out of a 4" barrel would be 960fps, and 780 fps out of my 3.25" Hk. Of course this is unconfirmed, and I could be waaaay off target.:(

TonyT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Currently I'm using a fairly generic mid power load for my .40 to plink with. I've been using my Lyman book as well as Hodgdon's website for loads. I've decided to try and make my loads as close as possible to the PD loads I keep in my pistols at all times. I exclusively keep Speer Gold Dot's loaded for my USPf and my carry P2KSK. (180 grGDHP's) I think I'm going to switch my CC loads to their Short Barrel GDHP's since they're optimized for a 3.5" barrel. Most loads I find are specd for a 4" barrel. Are there more in depth sites I'm missing that will allow me to tailor a load to mimic the Short Barrels? Or is there a formula that will convert muzzle velocity FPS between barrel lengths?
    For the record:
    -------------------muzzle________50yds
    180 Gr GDHP's..... 1025 fps ... 956 fps
    180 Gr SB GDHP's ... 950 fps ... 898 fps

Ialways prfer the powder manufactures pressure tested data. The Hodgdon website is excellent. The Alliant website is almost useless as they only provide data for the Speer/Alliant/Federal/CCI group of companies bullets - there 205 reloading guide had much more information.
    If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you the pages from the 2005 Alliant guide as well as the W-W 14th Edition if you are interested.

Top Bottom