Reloading without air conditioning?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Who here reloads in an area with no A/C?

I have a small storage room that opens on to my patio that I want to convert to my gun/reloading room. Eventually I'll add a vent and a return from my central unit but am itching to go ahead and get my press set back up. I'm thinking the powder and primers should be stored away from the humidity but everything else should be ok right? Any thoughts?

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Should be. Rather than invest in the money to run a duct and not have great control, would a window or portable unit be easier to install?

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Nah. No windows and it opens directly onto our patio so I need to keep it looking nice. My main A/C unit is almost directly over the room so I'm hoping it'll be fairly easy to add the vents.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Yes it needs a return.

One of these maybe? Just a duct goes outside and you could either set up a ent at bottom of a window or put it out only when in use? Just tryimg to help you find a cheaper or easier way without hacking up ceilings and air handlers.

portable_ac_units_ifront.jpg

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    The only thing you need to worry with is humidity (rust) for the press. If you keep powder/primer in a controlled area, you'll be fine.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    When you say components are you talking about bullets and brass too? That might get to be a lot to carry in and out.

Most of the time, everything comes inside. Sometimes it doesnt, sometimes everything stays outside. I havent done to shabby with my rifle reloads either and Im a newb when it comes to reloading.

I havent seen any rust either.

johnjohn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    I have a small room off the garage that is neither heated or a/c , been using it for 13+ years no problems so far. It is fully insulated however.

lineofdeparture

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    New Roads
    I sectioned my Shop off as a Hand loading section.. so half of my shop is for hand loading other half for tools etc.. Its hot as F*&K.. but i did put in a dehumidifier to keep the rust away... its a metal shop, 20x30'... not insulated but the dehumidifier works good.. I wont store my primers and powder in there.. but everything is left behind in the dehumidified heat.. :) Soon ill probably insulate and put in some type of A/C.. but its sometimes good to sit in a Sauna... right? lol

TooOld

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Laplace
    I reload in my workshop, no a/c, heating or insulation. The only time I have a little problem with rust is mostly during the winter, both on my tools (woodworking, i.e., table saw) and very little on my presses. I usually wax the top of my tools and use dry lube on my presses to prevent rusting. I have never had any problems in 20+ years that minor cleaning would not take care of. I try to keep powder and primers in the house, but have forgotten them in the shop for extended times both winter and summer and have never had any problems with either. I think you would be fine, but it will take a little more effort to keep your equipment clean.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I've almost always did my reloading in a shed or garage. Currently do still and only run the AC there when I'm in it. Otherwise, it sits in the heat and cold. I've never, over 25 years of relaoding, had any problems with humidity affecting powder or primers stored in their original containers. Once, I left powder in my RCBS powder measure and the humidity made it cake up and i was never able to completely remove it from the plastic hopper walls. It came off the metal parts -no problem, but still has a stained look to the green plastic. I've had brass oxidize a little - that takes a while. I've also had some rust develop on tools that weren't used much, like old shell holders or the arm of my Rock Chucker. My bench is in a sealed & insulated room, that isn't part of the central hvac system. The humidity isn't what it might be in a leaky tool shed. I've used primers stored this way, although in a not so tight, tupperware container that were easily ten years old without a single FTF.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I used to reload in my back yard under a tree. (In Baton Rouge) I did store my primers in the house with air conditioning I never had a problem with misfires.

latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    I have a room off my garage that I ran a vent to but my wife is cheap and only runs the air in the evenings to it doesn't cool off til late. I have a 1050 though so I can load tons of ammo in a short time.

I have a new building built that will be heated and cooled but it won't be ready to move into for a year or so.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom