remington 700 action blueprinting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clifton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    houma louisiana
    can i have my factory barrel reinstalled after having my receiver trued? i want to change my barrel eventually but dont have an unlimited budget so i would like to do a couple things at a time.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    can i have my factory barrel reinstalled after having my receiver trued? i want to change my barrel eventually but dont have an unlimited budget so i would like to do a couple things at a time.

It depends on what you mean by "trued". If you have the receiver threads trued up by being overcut .010" then the only way to put the factory barrel back on is to cut off the tennon and set it back. You may or may not have enough barrel to do that and the cost would be the same as going with a match barrel anyway. Remington barrels are cut to fit 1.062x16tpi but a trued receiver is 1.072x16tpi. The wobble of the barrel in the receiver would kill accuracy. You could have the barrel set back slightly, the receiver face trued, bolt face trued, and the barrel shoulder trued, but I would argue that you wouldn't gain much.

Unless the rifle is a complete turd, shoot the hell out of it while saving up for a good match barrel and then have it all done at once. That really is the best way to start out.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom