Remington 700 caliber change.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clifton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    houma louisiana
    I have a Remington 700 in .270 WSM. Does anyone know what calibers are compatible with that action? I know the 7mm, 300 and 325 WSM would work but are there any other options?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I have a Remington 700 in .270 WSM. Does anyone know what calibers are compatible with that action? I know the 7mm, 300 and 325 WSM would work but are there any other options?

Im no expert but shouldnt most short action calibers work out with that receiver? Someone else chime in!

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Considerations for an alternate chambering take into account not just action length. You also need to consider the bolt face and to a lesser degree perhaps the magazine follower. The case rim diameter on the WSM series is .535" so without a bolt change you would need to stay with cartridges with a similar case rim size. The Remington Short Mags are .534" which should work.

What direction were you hoping to go?

clifton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    houma louisiana
    I was thinking maybe a 308. little less recoil ammo is cheaper. I don't hand load. 300 and 7mm wsm has a much larger bullet selection in factory ammo too. switching to those would only be a barrel swap? any thing else a new bolt would be needed? probably would end up cheaper to just buy a 308 than all the work to switch it to one.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I was thinking maybe a 308. little less recoil ammo is cheaper. I don't hand load. 300 and 7mm wsm has a much larger bullet selection in factory ammo too. switching to those would only be a barrel swap? any thing else a new bolt would be needed? probably would end up cheaper to just buy a 308 than all the work to switch it to one.

That is a tough choice. You could get a really nice barrel and other enhancements. It come down to what you want to do with it.
    A used rifle helps on price also.

Top Bottom