Remington or Browning

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    It's been my experience that shotguns that start with B (Browning, Benelli, Beretta) are good guns generally. I've seen a few Browning Golds and they seem to work well. I haven't had enough experience with the 11-87s to give much of an opinion.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Browning gold and a Winchester SX2 are essentially the same gun, except appearances. I would choose one over an 11-87 for a few reasons. The 11-87 uses O-rings in the gas system, they can become brittle and crack/break, and fall apart when you remove the forearm. Another reason is that 11-87's tend to just "lose" their extractor. I've seen multiple ones fail. It's super easy to install a new one (hence why it's super easy for them to disappear), so if you go with the rem, keep a spare extractor and spring, along with some spare O-rings. Another thing is the wood forearms on an 11-87 WILL crack, there are 2 vents drilled in then where the bottom of the wood meets the receiver, and it's a weak point. If you were looking at synthetics, not an issue.

deadduck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    Bought my Browning Gold 3 1/2 back in 2000, and it's been a GREAT gun. Tames the recoil of heavy goose and turkey loads but still cycles dove loads. Never had one problem with it.

No experience with the 11-87, so can't comment on it.

Muddy45

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Covington
    I love my 11-87's I have 2 police and a 26" vent rib premier had it since 1989 replaced the o-rings twice never had a problem with the extractor. I've killed hundreds of pheasants and quail without a problem.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I love my 11-87's I have 2 police and a 26" vent rib premier had it since 1989 replaced the o-rings twice never had a problem with the extractor. I've killed hundreds of pheasants and quail without a problem.

I had an 11-87P with the old winged GRS. I really liked that shotgun.

I have an 1100 LT-20 that is the biggest killer in my collection.

JR1572

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I shot a LT 20 years ago and would love to find one.

If I wasn't so emotionally attached to that gun, it would have been gone a long time ago. It's one of three firearms I possess that have wood furniture.

It shoots well. I wish it had a remchoke barrel.

JR1572

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    I have a Browning Gold and passed a lot of shells through it and has never let me down. But have no experience with an 11-87.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Look at the Beretta Outlander. It's their entry level auto so it runs around 650.00 which I think is prolly a little cheaper than the Browning. It's a plain jane gun that's reliable as it's based off of proven technology from Beretta. It's also made in the US. It's not the softest shooting gun though.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    IMO,
    The last shotguns Big Green made worthy of (my) hard earned money was
    the 1100(must be pampered but oh so sweet)
    & the 870(Exceptional Functionality/Superior Dependability)

I won't buy anything but an 870 from Remington these days.

That 11-87 is hit or miss, especially with 3½" shells.

/

Last edited:

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    IMO,
    The last shotguns Big Green made worthy of (my) hard earned money was
    the 1100(must be pampered but oh so sweet)
    & the 870(Exceptional Functionality/Superior Dependability)

I won't buy anything but an 870 from Remington these days.

That 11-87 is hit or miss, especially with 3½" shells.

/
    100% agree with Hitman. The 870 is the Volkswagen of shotguns. Cheap and you just can't kill 'em. My brother has an old Wingmaster that stayed submerged in the water after a fall for 2 weeks before we could retrieve it and it still shoots great. I opted for the Benelli SuperNova, though, because I know people who use their Benellis as boat paddles and still cycle rounds smoothly. What good is a shotgun if you can't utilize it's potential?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Ah, the good old Remington LT 20.

I'll never sell mine. It was the first shotgun I bought with my own money. From Granberry's Guns (some of you remember them, I'm sure). :)

Anyway, I have both the 11-87 & the Browning Gold- both solid guns....My Gold Hunter (black synthetic stock) has been through hell since I've had it (got it when they first came out) and is my go-to woods gun. I don't see that changing.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Years ago I hunted ducks with a Browning BPS pump shotgun. It was a great gun (lost it in the 2005 Federal Levee Failure). I'm not sure if all Brownings have the safety on top of the gun or if all Remintons have it behind the trigger, but I really liked the safety on the top, just seemed easier to engage.

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    I agree with oleheat. My browning gold has been through hell also and still runs like a champ.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

bowhogger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    Louisiana
    I've used both. Auto-5, the original not the remake, Belgium and Japan. Also the Remington Model 12. 870 is the best for a starting shotgun you know is going to be roughed up. I agree with him an. Unless it's an 870 or 700 remington isn't what it used to be, IMO.

Top Bottom