Removing scratches from a truck?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Sooo... I let the wifey use my truck over the weekend for her work's Family Day. I specifically said to her- "you can borrow my truck as long as you promise to be careful and not break it."

Got it back this morning and discovered this:

IMG_4170.jpg

Yep... that's a ~6" scratch on my 6-month-old truck :wtc: She backed over a wooden parking stop with the tailgate down. What I need to know is, what can I do to fix this? Do I need to have it painted, or is this something that I can buff out? If I can do it without going to a shop, what products should I try?

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    I would try going to a local auto parts store and trying some scratch remover products first. Some of them can actually work fairly well. I'm not sure if you will get it out completely, but it could mask it well enough not to be so noticable.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    It looks like that could possibly be buffed out. I would run by a local body shop and ask them to buff it for you. They shouldnt charge much to do that.
    Be careful if you try doing it yourself. You could do more harm than good.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Thanks for the advice so far. I'm more just upset that it's my brand new truck than anything :(

Will probably try a good wax or scratch remover from the auto parts store this evening.

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    Thanks for the advice so far. I'm more just upset that it's my brand new truck than anything :(

Will probably try a good wax or scratch remover from the auto parts store this evening.

Well, just look at it this way. You already have the first scratch on it, so the rest are going to be less painful! :D

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Come Park at LSU for a day or two. It will change your mind on that little scratch!

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Wyldhog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    At my computer
    Porter Cable 7424XP Dual action polisher with Lake City orange buffing pad and Chemical Guys V34 compound.
    I have used this on my 2011 black Tahoe and it works GREAT! removes all the superficial clear coat scratches that develop over time. The Porter Cable polisher is idiot proof...no way to burn your paint. The website for all this stuff is www.chemicalguys.com

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Come Park at LSU for a day or two. It will change your mind on that little scratch!

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Haha.

I actually lived on campus for like 6 years, and nothing notable ever happened to my cars. Moved off campus and the apartment parking lot ****ed up my car pretty good, both bumpers hit and scratched doors.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    First one is always the worst, in a year you won't even notice it. Never got those who go to extreme lengths to keep scratches off of truck beds, it's truck.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    make sure it is non abrasibe or it will leave swerils
    All polishes are abrasive to different degrees.

I own a bodyshop. Dont go by a bodyshop and ask for this to be fixed unless you are a prior customer or you would use them if you had real damage. Would i fix it, yes. Would i charge? No, but i would remember paying it forward.

The place to go for this is a professional detail shop. This will be your cheapest option as buying quality products is not cheap and they often come in qt. bottles

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    All polishes are abrasive to different degrees.

I own a bodyshop. Dont go by a bodyshop and ask for this to be fixed unless you are a prior customer or you would use them if you had real damage. Would i fix it, yes. Would i charge? No, but i would remember paying it forward.

The place to go for this is a professional detail shop. This will be your cheapest option as buying quality products is not cheap and they often come in qt. bottles

Best advice I've gotten. Thanks!

And Jack, quit being an internet meanie.

Top Bottom