Revolver for self defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Ok, I kinda started a conversation in the classified section that I'd like to get some input on. Here's the situation. I'd like to get my wife a lightweight revolver for self defense and CC. Her hand strength is not great for racking slides, due to carpal tunnel syndrome. So I figured that a wheelgun would be right up her alley.

So here's the problem. The usual suspects are .38 special and .357. and larger. In the past, 9mm has been available in revolvers, with the use of moonclips. The .38s and larger are pretty snappy in the lightweight frames. I'd like this to be something she could practice a lot with and get good at and not have a sore wrist to prove it.

Am I missing something here, or is getting an older generation 9mm my only choice? I left out .327 Fed Mag because I figured that would have just about the same kick if not more then a .38 special.

~rc~

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The problem with that logic is that while she obviously will not have to rack a slide, revolvers will generally have a pretty stiff double action trigger pull.

If she can still manipulate that, then you might have your answer. If not, you may no other choice than to have her carry a revolver and practice shooting in single action.

I have had a handful of rather "mature" students who simply had no other choice. Taking the time to ensure they understand the mechanics of what they are doing and how important safety is should do the trick.

It obviously is not optimal, but for some it is the only option.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Good point. It seems that she does not have a problem with finger strength for the double action pull. Where her weak point is, how you form your hand to rack a slide. I've tried a couple different variations on how to hold your hand to rack the slide, all require a lot of effort on her part. And it's an odd thing, because she is not what you would think of as a weak woman. Just years of deskwork has put the caput on her hand strength.

And I guess what it boils down to, is I want to put a gun in her hand that I feel confidence in and that she'll like to bring out to the range and shoot with me.

Thanks for the input.

~rc~

Last edited:

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    I'm currently considering a small revolver chambered in .327 mag. now that I've had time to read up on it. It seems that this would offer a 6 shot gun, with the potential to shoot the .327 (expensive but decent self defense round) as well as all of the other .32 cartridges.

Comments?

~rc~

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You confused me with the two threads, so in case you didn't see it, this is what I posted in the other:
    I understand if she wants a smaller revolver for concealed carry, but there is no good reason to get an alloy or light weight gun in that size. Get the heaviest and largest gun she can conceal with her preferred method. I'd suggest getting it out of her purse and on her body, but either way would probably allow the use of something not quite as small and light.

Next, I suggest that you forget about +P loads, and just use normal 38 special--wadcutters would be great, but any target load will do. You are putting .38" holes in the bad guy, and any extra penetration or expansion of a hot load is not worth the recoil, if it at all affects her confidence and ability to shoot well.

jro6803

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just returned from the range with my wife. My daughter usually accompanies but not today. My wife will shoot the Browning Buckmark (22 cal) all day but does not like to shoot anything else. My daughter will, in addition to the Buckmark, shoot 38s out of the Security Six but prefers wadcutters or a light load. She does not like to shoot my 9mm semi-autos or my 9mm revolvers. IMHO 9mm coming out of a revolver is just as snappy as a 38 out of a simlar weight gun. Others may disagree. I would like to hear from someone with experience with a small 22 magnum revolver like a S&W 351PD. Would also like to learn how the 22 mag fares against the 38 special as a self defense caliber.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Perhaps I opened a can of worms here. I'm just looking for a small revolver with a decently powered self defense load that doesn't kick like a .38 special, in all honesty. :)

~rc~

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Im totally lost when you said "the weak point is how you form your hand to rack the slide" are you talking about the strong hand or support hand ???????

depending on which one you are talking about the revolver will pretty much still imitate the same shape, also there are quite diferent ways to rack a slide, they might not be "perfect" but it can get done, if you explain a little further what her problem is we might be able to help you out better.

Revolvers do have a limitation but then again ANY weapon does.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Yes, I've found that out today with my research Dan.

As far as the slide racking goes, the gun she usually shoots is her Baretta .380 mid-sized. And even though I've run 500+ rounds through it and clean and lube it after every range outting, she still has time racking the slide. She can barely move the slide on my Glock 23c. Even though I work them with ease. She has a harder time with my little Sig p238, that may be due to the fact that it's a newer gun. But I think it all boils down to, is that when she positions her thumb and forefinger to grab the slide from the rear by the serrations or even if you take and double up your forefinger from the top, she is still not able to rack it well.

For those of you who are younger and work at a desk, pay attention when those wrists and hands start hurting, look into it. By the time you get to 50, it's just about too late.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys, I just figured it would be easier on her to have a small revolver. She doesn't have a problem with the double action trigger pull on my .357/.38, it's just the kick she doesn't like. I want to get her something she's going to be reasonably accurate when called upon. Which, i guess is what everyone wants.

~rc~

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Sounds like you have your mind set on a revo which is NOT bad, I would def try to find one in 9mm though if she has wrist problems the high recoil will get her to not want to practice and then it looses its point with the 357/38 unless you hand load some soft 38's.

I would instead try to switch from the pinch method to rack to the full support hand on top of slide and bringing her strong hand in towards her side chest area, and do a push pull within her work space where she is the strongest by using her entire upper body strenght and not only her arms and wrists, I have seen MANY weak female shooters being able to do this succesfully once thought the "correct" way.

Keep us posted on what you buy and how she does.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    What Guate said; sounds like the technique is lacking on the slide racking. Check out this article with pictures:

http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

I personally think that a revolver is a good idea, and as I said earlier, 38 specials are not bad if the gun and grip are not too small/too light. But if she wants a semi-auto, proper technique might get the job done.

One last thing--generally, smaller autos are harder to operate than larger ones, due to stiffer springs, and or simply less gun to hold onto.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The only thing that I would change from those pics is the area where he is racking at, granted he is using his pelvic area as support the BAD thing about this method is indeed the fact that ANY shooter will get used to looking down towards the gun, keep in mind in a stress situation where you are heaving to engage a threat the LAST thing you want to do if you have to clear a malfunction is looking down, your work space should always be UP around your shoulder area this will allow you to continue to "monitor" what is going on w the BG while working the problem with the gun, the last thing you want is to look down gas the gun back up, look up and surprise the BG just moved and now he switched you up into defense mode instead of offense mode, granted you have to learn to walk before you can run but if she starts with the wrong foot its going to be hell breaking her out of it

Just a humble opinion.

Last edited:

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The only thing that I would change from those pics is the area where he is racking at, granted he is using his pelvic area as support the BAD thing about this method is indeed the fact that ANY shooter will get used to looking down towards the gun, keep in mind in a stress situation where you are heaving to engage a threat the LAST thing you want to do if you have to clear a malfunction is looking down, your work space should always be UP around your shoulder area this will allow you to continue to "monitor" what is going on w the BG while working the problem with the gun, the last thing you want is to look down gas the gun back up, look up and surprise the BG just moved and now he switched you up into defense mode instead of offense mode.

Just a humble opinion.

I agree completely. I didn't even read the whole thing-I just wanted to find some pictures to illustrate what you were trying to explain about technique. You know what they say about a picture being worth 1000 words. :)

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Good read, I forwarded that page to my wife's email so she can study it. It may just be what we're looking for. Although I may still go ahead and get her a wheel gun, I'd like her to be more comfortable with using semi-autos, since we have several.

~rc~

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    A few thoughts:

If she has trouble racking the slide due to wrist issues, a .38 snub's recoil isn't going to do it much good either. A heavier gun would have less recoil. My wife hated my .38 snub years ago. I switched to a 4" full sized and I couldn't get the gun away from her. She was not pleased w/ me when I traded it off later.

Have her try racking a slide with both arms outstretched and elbows locked. Just use her shoulder muscles. This should make it easier. Again, hard to explain without visuals...

Colt made some nice little .32 s&w long revolvers (listed as the 'police positive') a long time ago. They're fairly easy to find and reasonably priced ($350?). They're good shooters, reasonably light, often have 3" or so barrels, and were accurate. They don't kick very much. Ammo is still available at gunshops but not at walmart. Self defense rounds are bit more scarce. .32 isn't my first choice in a self defense load but I'd bet the .32 s&w long is on par with .380 in stopping power with a hollow point.

Beretta made the tomcat in .32 ACP with a tip up barrel. That eliminates the need to pull the slide.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Walther PK380.

The easiest slide manipulation I've ever felt, and a darn solid shooter with great ergonomics t'boot. With modern ammunition, even former naysayers of this round often concede it can be a viable self defense option. Most importantly, "something is better than nothing"-- and if 9mm and .38 are out of the question, it's definitely better than other pocket pistol options (in terms of caliber).

They're not very expensive either, and .380 practice ammo has come down considerably in the past few months as well. It definitely warrants consideration. My GF has no problem working the slides on my Glocks, M&P, Beretta, Sigs, etc. She enjoys shooting them all as well, in 9mm-- and doesn't mind the .40 or .45 either. But a light weight snubby is where she draws the line-- and frankly, I don't much enjoy shooting them either!

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If .38 Special has too much recoil, I'm not sure 9mm will be much better. I have not shot the .327 Mag, but it might be an interesting idea. You might also check out the Chiappa Rhino as it puts the barrel lower and would "flip" less. Another option would be a revolver in .22 Magnum, while kinda weak, it could be the best option.

Lastly, you might consider buying two near identical guns.... one in .38 Special for actual defense and one in .22LR for most of the practicing. I would prefer this option. Good luck with your search.

Edit: Oh, you might want a steel gun as it will absorb recoil better than the light weight ones.

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I bought a S&W 642. She has shot it but says it kicks too much. I keep it in my truck now. She has a G19 on her side of the bedroom and I have a G26 on mine. She says she likes the G19 more then anything else. She keeps wanting to shoot using the old cup and saucer and I keep trying to break her of it but she only goes shooting 2 or 3 a year.

Top Bottom