Riding in someone elses automobile?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I am an automotive mechanic. Today it occured to me that maybe I could dig myself a hole by riding or driving a customers vehicle with the owner in it. If their vehicle is an extension of their home, am I obligated to inform them that I am carrying? If so, I might as well have it tattoed on my forehead. Any recommendations on a good local tatto artist?

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I am an automotive mechanic. Today it occured to me that maybe I could dig myself a hole by riding or driving a customers vehicle with the owner in it. If their vehicle is an extension of their home, am I obligated to inform them that I am carrying? If so, I might as well have it tattoed on my forehead. Any recommendations on a good local tatto artist?

My penis is an extension of my body and by law I'm required to notify women before I, oh well you get the point. So many laws just aren't right. :wtc:

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Thanks guys. I really did not want that tatto on my forehead. Damn it Joel, now you know. You'll be looking at me all crazy like trying to figure out where is that pocket rocket he just bought.

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How do we stop this extension of your home nonsense?

We could buy every billboard and put up signs "Your car IS NOT and extension of your home." :mamoru:

Other than that, simply nicely correcting people who use that terminology is the only way to educate the mass populace.

I'm guilty of it, as I'm sure most people are, until they were educated.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    We could buy every billboard and put up signs "Your car IS NOT and extension of your home." :mamoru:

Other than that, simply nicely correcting people who use that terminology is the only way to educate the mass populace.

I'm guilty of it, as I'm sure most people are, until they were educated.

Hell, I was too until I researched it.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It may not LEGALLY be an extension of your home, but you do enjoy SOME of the same rights as you would in your home. The right to prevent a forced entry when you are inside the vehicle would be one....Isn't this correct? Obviously, in some ways there's a helluva difference. Chances are, Miss July driving around naked in a convertable will result in legal trouble for her (and probably a few wrecks)....
    Here's a question though, seriously. How about a hunting camp? (has to be YES) RV? Travel Trailer? Tent?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    It may not LEGALLY be an extension of your home, but you do enjoy SOME of the same rights as you would in your home. The right to prevent a forced entry when you are inside the vehicle would be one....Isn't this correct? Obviously, in some ways there's a helluva difference. Chances are, Miss July driving around naked in a convertable will result in legal trouble for her (and probably a few wrecks)....
    Here's a question though, seriously. How about a hunting camp? (has to be YES) RV? Travel Trailer? Tent?

Yep, exactly. The supreme court (not sur ethe case off-hand) has ruled you have the same expectation of safety, ie self-defense, in your car, boat, RV, etc, as you do your home. However, you do not have the same expectATION OF privacy, due mainly to the fact that useage of the roadways and driving is a privelage and npt a right, but self-defense is. that is a very broad explanation.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yep, exactly. The supreme court (not sur ethe case off-hand) has ruled you have the same expectation of safety, ie self-defense, in your car, boat, RV, etc, as you do your home. However, you do not have the same expectATION OF privacy, due mainly to the fact that useage of the roadways and driving is a privelage and npt a right, but self-defense is. that is a very broad explanation.

Sounds good to me.....

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Where did that saying come from?

What saying?

Extension of home....has been used for probably 100 years or so. It is a common term, like calling any soft drink a coke, or using any phrase to convey a common concept. The statement itself is not 100% factually accurate, but the spirit of the words are true.

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'd like some more edumcation on the "extension of your home" thing...... before running across this thread, I thought that the car was in fact an extension. Clarification?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I'd like some more edumcation on the "extension of your home" thing...... before running across this thread, I thought that the car was in fact an extension. Clarification?

What clarification do you need?

let me ask you a question...

What do you interpret the words"your vehicle is an extension of your home" to mean?

Top Bottom