Riding lawnmower brands....Updated

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redbone

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    I am saying you have a glorified Murray with green paint on it. If you have gotten 5 years trouble free, you are already ahead of most. John Deere across the board is not what it was 20 years ago.
    I have dealt with several, and they do not last like the old John Deere or the higher end units.
    Their smaller tractors are also not up to par with similar priced competitors. Less metal, lower capacities, etc. but you do get to pay extra for the green paint and nifty hat.

Having worked in a lawnmower repair shop I consider myself to be pretty good at selecting a mower for my purposes. After checking to see who actually made mowers and to which companies specs, I decided on the green one. I bought it at a J.D. dealer for same $s as Lowes. Actually bought in '05. It is in perfect condition and ready for more years. My only gripe is the hat wore out. FWIW I didn't like the quality of the J.D. mowers of years gone by.

Redbone

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    When I worked at Home Depot all of our John Deeres had a sticker under the seat said they were made by MTD.

I took a look under the seat of a couple of Deeres at Lowes a few minutes ago. The only tag I could find was a part number tag for the seat. I know MTD make a lot of the riding mowers that are sold in the U.S. They build them to the specs of the company under whose name they will be sold. It isn't too hard to pick out the better brands. I look at the deck thickness first.

A guy claiming to be a J.D. mechanic said the Briggs engines were manufactured to J.D. specs. He linked us to a site showing a finer cross hatch on engines made for J.D. I don't find that important because I've seen very few failures in ring sealing. Even then the rest of the motor was pretty well worn out.

I looked at a Husky also wile at Lowes. Kohler engine. A tag on the mower saying it was assembled in the U.S. leading me to believe it was made overseas. Top of the line quality is evident in this mower.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I looked at a Husky also wile at Lowes. Kohler engine. A tag on the mower saying it was assembled in the U.S. leading me to believe it was made overseas. Top of the line quality is evident in this mower.

Sarcasm? I don't think they sell Husky at Lowe's anyway, thats the HD store brand.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Having worked in a lawnmower repair shop I consider myself to be pretty good at selecting a mower for my purposes. After checking to see who actually made mowers and to which companies specs, I decided on the green one. I bought it at a J.D. dealer for same $s as Lowes. Actually bought in '05. It is in perfect condition and ready for more years. My only gripe is the hat wore out. FWIW I didn't like the quality of the J.D. mowers of years gone by.

My point is, the john deere you paid 2200 for is no better quality that a murray that cost half that. I have a murray 42" 16.5 briggs IC ohv that is 9 years old and still kicking. I have replaced belts and a spindle, but it holds up as well or even better than the john deere costing 2-3 times as much, hell, it even has greasable spindles.The deer does have a more comforable seat and better tires, but that can be had well under a grand.
    I have actually been thru several mowers between my dad and me. Top of the line craftsman $3k range, 1 year and major problems- 3 of em. Cub cadet over $4k- 2 years and trans and steering failed, kubota g1800 diesel +-$10k, 5 years each before major failures- 2 of them. These are all cutting less than 3 acres. Old snapper- many years and still going, but slow as hell.
    My old standby murray is used for the rough stuff full of limbs that I dont want to tear up my ztr on. I consider them junk throw away mowers, but they will last a while if you arent cutting but an acre or so every week.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I have a scag zero turn now and don't think I could ever go back to a traditional riding mower, but if I were in the market I would not look further than snapper. I worked at a local lawn equipment dealer and service shop during my first year in college and I was very impressed with their durability and how easy they were to work on. They are ugly as can be, but they are simple and they work. Reminds me I a Glock now that I think about it.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    I purchaed a Troy Built 22hp B&S Vangard Cast iron sleeves 46" cut (MTD made) from Sam's Club April of 2003, It is still doing a great job, I sharpen blades regulary and change out as needed, belts also...Oh I cut several acres twice a month sometimes more often. If I could buy this tractor today I would! Best $1800 spent. I may go with a Zero Turn someday!

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    I love my Cub Cadet. I've had it for 5 years now. I change the oil and blades once a year and have only had to replace the battery, fuel filter, fuel pump ($4 vaccum style) and 1 belt. I mow about 3 to 4 acres once every other week during the grass cutting season.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    I have a scag zero turn now and don't think I could ever go back to a traditional riding mower, but if I were in the market I would not look further than snapper. I worked at a local lawn equipment dealer and service shop during my first year in college and I was very impressed with their durability and how easy they were to work on. They are ugly as can be, but they are simple and they work. Reminds me I a Glock now that I think about it.

my grandpas had a scag zero turn with a kohler engine for about 8-9 years and its still running like a champ. and since i cut his grass now (5 acres) if/when i'm in the market and own some land it will be what i buy as well. but for the typical suburban lot i would go for a snapper. my parents had theirs for almost 15 years before they decided to sell it and upgrade. that too still ran like a champ

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Now, if they only made this.......
    7818ac95e7a71240986ba440091ae6c6.jpg
    This is epic:rofl::rofl:

Redbone

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    My point is, the john deere you paid 2200 for is no better quality that a murray that cost half that. I have a murray 42" 16.5 briggs IC ohv that is 9 years old and still kicking.

You may very well be right but my experience is very different. My main gripe was the thin deck. Notice I said "was". I haven't paid any attention to them lately due to bad experience of past. They were known to be slow go carts around here. The decks were thin and either cracked or rusted so badly the spindle assy. bent over. They were throw away mowers.

In the end preferences are usually based on experiences. My experiences wasn't good with Murray and some others. Snappers were tough, crude, easy to work on, and sloooowwww. Murrays can be the right mower for some people. I just like for the perspective buyer to learn from our experiences. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I'll give you that. I only expected to get a couple years from the Murray, but it is still hanging. I have actually worn the bottom edge off of a lot of the deck and then hit a stump and bent it, but was all easily repaired. I am actually impressed it still holds up, i only changed the oil once with royal purple, cut over 2 acres weekly and generally beat the crap out if it. It also makes a handy go cart for my kid. I know a couple years ago a replacement deck shell was only $150 for it. Right now , it would qualify for an ugly contest- July son decided to paint 3/4 of it with green paint.

Redbone

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    I'll give you that. I only expected to get a couple years from the Murray, but it is still hanging. I have actually worn the bottom edge off of a lot of the deck and then hit a stump and bent it, but was all easily repaired. I am actually impressed it still holds up, i only changed the oil once with royal purple, cut over 2 acres weekly and generally beat the crap out if it. It also makes a handy go cart for my kid. I know a couple years ago a replacement deck shell was only $150 for it. Right now , it would qualify for an ugly contest- July son decided to paint 3/4 of it with green paint.

VERY good story. Espcially the part about your kid.:rofl:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Wow! I see it's clear that everyone loves their brand of lawnmower!

BTW; if any of you love yours enough to come once a week and show me how much you love it on my lawn for free, I will be gald to provide the training ground for you to continue to practice with it. :D

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I tell you what, in 1986 my Dad bought a Snapper riding mower with a 12 hp Wisconsin Robin on it. It has had some normal wear and tear, and was driven for years by an abusive teenager, me. I beat the crap out of that mower. Eventually, around 5 years ago, he had the motor replaced, and the deck replaced. It's still cutting yards, under the ass of my Dad's girlfriend's grandkids.

I'm sure there are plenty of great brands. Dad has a Cub Cadet now, it does a great job, but has had several minor breakages that knocked it out of commision for a bit.

I have no idea what Snapper's build quality is like now, but if it's still up to par with the old one we had, I'd certainly get another.

Best of luck to you!

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    New mower runs fine...a little rough when first starting but once warmed up runs like a champ...

One damn problem though...:mad:

Went to clean it after finishing up the yard and noticed the belt was rubbing against the top of the mower deck when it's raised up at its highest position...Looks like a call to the dealer is in order...:curse:

Top Bottom