Rifle suitable for beginner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilssoon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bali
    I want to learn to shoot, what rifle is suitable for beginners!
    g.png

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Pick up a Ruger 10-22 and shoot the hell out of it. Don't buy anything in a large caliber as it is the easiest way to turn off a new shooter. Don't be afraid of buying a beat up used gun. Good luck.

screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    I'd recommend building an AR, there are walk through videos on Youtube on how to do it. That way you'd know your rifle inside and out. Also the cost could be easie to swallow since you could take your time and make it exactly the way you want it. Or pick up a well made AK variant and have fun.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    If you REALLY want to learn how to shoot a rifle, then I would suggest attending an NRA highpower 200yd competition and letting the guys there coach you on the basics. It is THE fastest way to learn the basics and apply them properly. 90% of people out there have an idea that learning to shoot a rifle involves going to a range and putting the damn thing on a bench. Please, for the love of gunpowder, don't do that......just say no to the bench.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    If you REALLY want to learn how to shoot a rifle, then I would suggest attending an NRA highpower 200yd competition and letting the guys there coach you on the basics. It is THE fastest way to learn the basics and apply them properly. 90% of people out there have an idea that learning to shoot a rifle involves going to a range and putting the damn thing on a bench. Please, for the love of gunpowder, don't do that......just say no to the bench.

I can agree Ritten, I learned without a bench with a Sheridan pellet gun. It wasn't as powerful as a firearm, and not as sexy as a semi-auto, but what it did teach me was to make every shot count. If you missed you weren't exactly just going to squeeze the trigger again.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I picked up a 310 Cadet Martini made in 1911 by BSA for the Commonwealth of Australia to teach my son to shoot. I've got a couple of years before he'll be ready.

But a 22LR chambered rifle would a great place to start. Also learning the right way from the beginning is an excellent idea.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I started with an AR-7 .22 rifle when I was a teenager. I mainly shot offhand at St Bernard Indoor. I shot expert in Marine Corps boot camp at MCRD San Diego. I shot a possible from the offhand position on qualification day with the M-16A2.
    A Ruger 10/22 would be fine. I do agree that using a bench is a bad idea. I did just fine without one.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Go with a .22 rifle and learn the basics, Ruger is a good choice. Other calibers offer higher cost ammo and more recoil, as a beginner start with the basics and work your way up. Bolt action is another choice as they can be simpler and slow down the shooter making him pay attention to each shot, Savage makes a nice bolt gun.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly

What Ritten said. We have a match on the fourth Sunday of every month at the ascension parish sheriffs range by Lamar Dixon. We can provide extra equipment and a rifle to LSA members for a fee of 5$ along with coaching, you will need 60 rds of .223 ball ammo. We also provide ammo for junior members.
    Pm me if your interested.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

This.

Project appleseed is great, and may be able to loan you a rifle for the event.
    https://appleseedinfo.org/

And This.

I would love to build an appleseed rifle and go to an event!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom