Rock River Arms AR-15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Of course...after seeing Louisianacarry's youtube.com gun vids, I got the itch for a AR15. Don't worry, I am still looking for that 1911, but for now, I figured that it would be in my best interest to look at a good AR & AK before I pursue the 1911. :squint:

For the AR, I have decided on a RRA. Now here is my dilemma. I am having issues with which model I want. I have NO experience with RRA or shooting them but I have read many good things about them.

Entry Tactical? Tactical CAR A4?

Anyone have experience with these? Any Pro's & Con's between them? Which one is the better choice for someones first AR? Anyone have one that they are looking to part with?

I was going to contact AR15Sales.com & speak with Pete, but figured that I could get an unbiased opinion on here.

PM me or just post away! Thanks guys & gals!!

-CC

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I've got an Entry Tactical and love it. It takes absolutely anything I feed it. I just bought another RRA stripped lower for a 6.5 Grendel build that I'm starting. Can't go wrong with RR.

IMG_0846-2.jpg

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Don't underestimate Stag- they make all their own major components- including their own tooling and dies- in house, so everything fits like a glove. Not to mention awesome customer service.

I am a Stag fanboy, you may have noticed.

FrankJr

Tazer,Mace,then Miranda
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Zachary, La
    I have an Entry Tacitical. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. The only thing I don't like is the tactical handle or whatever u want to call it like the one shown above. Would much rather a good flip up sight. I've been trying to get rid of mine but you cant hardly give them away. But I think when Topgunz ordere his he was given the option of the handle or flip ups, may want to get with him. Can't remember where he orderedhis from.

FrankJr

Tazer,Mace,then Miranda
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Zachary, La
    I have an Entry Tacitical. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. The only thing I don't like is the tactical handle or whatever u want to call it like the one shown above. Would much rather a good flip up sight. I've been trying to get rid of mine but you cant hardly give them away. But I think when Topgunz ordered his he was given the option of the handle or flip ups, may want to get with him. Can't remember where he orderedhis from.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Yeah - that lower is a pretty decent price...huhmmm.

BUT...then I would have to pay FFL & shipping fee's on TWO different items, thus loosing all savings made on the lower. :(

Why on two items? You do realized that you don't have to have anything other than the stripped lower sent to a FFL? Everything else can be sent straight to your door. Thus why I bought a stripped lower and will probably order a Les Baer or AA 6.5 Gren. upper.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Why on two items? You do realized that you don't have to have anything other than the stripped lower sent to a FFL? Everything else can be sent straight to your door. Thus why I bought a stripped lower and will probably order a Les Baer or AA 6.5 Gren. upper.

Oh. I thought a complete upper had to be sent to a FFL also...:o It is just lowers or complete rifles. Thanks man.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Correct. Pretty much the same with any gun. On a bolt action it's the receiver that has to go through an FFL. On a handgun it's usually the frame, on an AR it's the stripped lower....no matter what's attached to it.....or what's not attached.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I saw stripped lowers for $155 so a complete for $175 is a good deal. Once you get the lower you can shop until you find just the right upper that fits you.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I saw stripped lowers for $155 so a complete for $175 is a good deal. Once you get the lower you can shop until you find just the right upper that fits you.

I was looking at different uppers. How do you know what you want without actually firing it? Is there THAT big a difference really with the RRA uppers?

I didn't get to call AR15sales today, because I got slammed at work. I will attempt to contact him again tomorrow. I am sure that I will get a lunch tomorrow. :rolleyes:

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    here in La we can get lowers extremely inexpensively... see Essential Arms... While I do have complete "branded" ARs I love my kit and piece rifles the best. Not trying to label you or anything. Just trying to give you other options.

What I mean to say is my Colts have never seen sunlight where I have a J&T rifle that has had 20,000 rounds through it.

Last edited:

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    What I mean to say is my Colts have never seen sunlight where I have a J&T rifle that has had 20,000 rounds through it.

Good Lord! That J&T site has some wild stuff. Maybe I should just stick to a "completed" rifle before I attempt to create one from scratch. I spoke with the gentleman @ AR15sales & I couldn't tell what the hell he was talking about. A good sign that I need to do more research on what I am about to drop hard earned money on.

He was saying something about the gas tube being mid-sized compared to full sized and less recoil? I dunno. :confused:

I just want a rifle that shoots well & is somewhat accurate to start with.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    How much are you looking to spend. What do you want 223,308. Do you want a 20" or 16" barrel. Fixed stock or adjustable, that will narrow down your choices. I have a CAR 16 DPMS with a adjustable stock and I love it.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    How much are you looking to spend. What do you want 223,308. Do you want a 20" or 16" barrel. Fixed stock or adjustable, that will narrow down your choices. I have a CAR 16 DPMS with a adjustable stock and I love it.

16" barrel (chrome lined, 1:9); adjustable stock, flip up rear sight or option to upgrade to EOTech red dot or other various sight, 3-4lb trigger, manageable recoil; .233(5.56); can take a little abuse, I will clean the crap out of the gun after shooting, so don't need something that I can pick up out of a mud puddle & shoot - but that would be nice. Price...less than $1500. Is this fantasy?!

Edit: Oh yeah. I like the rails on the front handguard. Something that I can add a pistol grip to if I wanted..

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    16" barrel (chrome lined, 1:9); adjustable stock, flip up rear sight or option to upgrade to EOTech red dot or other various sight, 3-4lb trigger, manageable recoil; .233(5.56); can take a little abuse, I will clean the crap out of the gun after shooting, so don't need something that I can pick up out of a mud puddle & shoot - but that would be nice. Price...less than $1500. Is this fantasy?!

Edit: Oh yeah. I like the rails on the front handguard. Something that I can add a pistol grip to if I wanted..

Last time I talked to Pete at Legal Transfers, a RRA Entry Tactical was $950 w/ a 2-3mo wait.

With a $1500 budget here's what I would do;

LMT 16" M4 Carbine Upper
    LMT M16 BCG w/ Standard Charging Handle
    LMT Defender Complete lower w/ NM trigger, SOPMOD stock, Ergo Grip

All can be had for around $1200.

I heard that Jim's in BR has a complete LMT 16" M4gery for $1250, which is a very good deal.

OR...

Stag 2T - $1000 last time I checked.
    - All of your listed requirements w/ Samson free float rail

OR...

Stag 2HT upper w/ Rock River Complete lower from Bill@B&B for about $900.

Last edited:

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    RRA Elite Tactical Entry (not 100% true to spec) S.P.O.T. Red Dot Optics
    The 6 pos collapsible is a Bushmaster. Stock pistol grip and no N.M. trigger.
    Blackhawk Sling.

60utmjmh70k8s6bozx.jpg

llc2cpato96yrvn4riz.jpg

hby826mz4gn170ukwf4m.jpg

hk437o9rd81dtfm7yei.jpg

Last edited:

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    I got $650 in this so far. This is another J&T kit rifle to replace my old one. here's the specs:

1/7 Chrome lined M4 profile barrel. Flat top upper with detachable rear sight. The trigger group is Colt with my usual mods. Breaks at a crisp 5 pounds. 6pos stock. Build on a Superior Arms lower. I wanted the trigger preset.

Going to add FF tube, shaved gas block, and different sights next. I want a longer sight radius.

Top Bottom