Rookie looking for advice on a rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joshlala

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Hey guys, just found this site and thought I would get y'all opinion on my future purchase. I used to shoot skeet and some rifle (mainly just 22s) with my dad up until a few years ago when I got real busy with college. I am currently looking into getting a new rifle for recreational shooting at the range and some deer and possibly hog hunting. I have been partial to the Remington 700 in .308. Does anyone have any recommendations or critiques? I am hoping to pay somewhere around $500-$600 (still in college) so I know something used is the way I will be going. I am planning to get something I can use stock out of the box with the exception of optics. I look forward to any input. Thanks!

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    +1 Remington 700 is a great rifle and .308 is an awesome round. The synthetic stocks are more tactical looking so I like them more but it's your rifle get what you like. You may even be able to find an ar-15 in that price range if you look hard enough. Palmetto state armory being a good start.

Joshlala

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I second this.

Where are you hunting deer and hogs?

No idea. No immediate plans. Two of my roommates hunt and it's so drying I have always wanted to do. I have trapped pigs before but never hunted. I mainly wanted to pick a rifle that would leave me with the option to hunt if the oppurtunity ever arose.
    My uncle has been telling me about the tikka t3 as well. Any opinions on these?
    As far as stock goes, I would prefer wood but ultimately the cost will play a big factor. I don't want to get a cheaply made gun, but I would like to not spend more than I have to.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    No idea. No immediate plans. Two of my roommates hunt and it's so drying I have always wanted to do. I have trapped pigs before but never hunted. I mainly wanted to pick a rifle that would leave me with the option to hunt if the oppurtunity ever arose.
    My uncle has been telling me about the tikka t3 as well. Any opinions on these?
    As far as stock goes, I would prefer wood but ultimately the cost will play a big factor. I don't want to get a cheaply made gun, but I would like to not spend more than I have to.

Savages are cheap, but I believe they are just as good and just as accurate as Rem 700. I'm gonna get some hate mail for that statement.

Joshlala

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    When I say cheap I don't mean real cheap. I don't mind spending $600 on a quality rifle, it's just I don't feel that I need to spend $1000+ on a rifle to serve my needs.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    another +1 on rem 700. i would get synthetic just because it can take a beating and you dont have to worry about the wood getting scratched or marred etc. ive used the synthetic stock on my bennelli as a paddle before (obviously not a rifle but you get what im saying)

also the USMC uses a modified remington 700 for their M40 sniper rifle jtlyk

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Hey guys, just found this site and thought I would get y'all opinion on my future purchase. I used to shoot skeet and some rifle (mainly just 22s) with my dad up until a few years ago when I got real busy with college. I am currently looking into getting a new rifle for recreational shooting at the range and some deer and possibly hog hunting. I have been partial to the Remington 700 in .308. Does anyone have any recommendations or critiques? I am hoping to pay somewhere around $500-$600 (still in college) so I know something used is the way I will be going. I am planning to get something I can use stock out of the box with the exception of optics. I look forward to any input. Thanks!

I have a Savage 110 in 30-06 and a 700 in 308

Get the Savage... used for under $300.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Look at the Ruger Scout in 308

I'm planning one in the next month or so, have also been leaning toward the Nikon Pro Staff for glass...

I am sold on the 308...ballastics and availability

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The Savage with the Accu Trigger is a very nice rifle IMO, it will probably NOT win you matches BUT for what you plan to use it its more than dependable and reliable.

I had a Mossberg 4x4 and it was a great shooter for the price, again not match grade rifle but for what it was designed to do is more than enough, one of my best friends has been dropping Deer for the past 4 years at the camp with a Mossberg that was $299 with a scope.

The Remington 700 is a VERY NICE rifle and accesories and support in the market is out of this world, but being you are on a thight budget I would look into something else until your budget allows you to jumo into the big league

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Mickey JUST take Dave with you to the range and show him what a 308 can do PLEASEeeeeee

I have been hearing his statement about the 308 for almost 2 years now, lol

HAHA! :D
    We will be shooting a 600y match this Saturday and Next at Palo, everyone is welcome.

Oh, and there are plenty of us Shooting Savages. Yep, i said "Us", I shoot one. And they are quite capable of winning a match.;)
    Both rifles, the Savage and the Remmy, are great choices.
    Like onestory and bayoupirate said though, don't skimp on the glass.

Top Bottom