Round count on firearms?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Just curious whom really keeps track of the actual round count?

Yes, I'm anal about this?

IE - All the adds about "only fired 250 rounds and such".

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I have a pretty good count on anything I have owned since new. Also what I've put down any I've acquired pre owned. The pre owned is variable that can not be guaranteed though. I don't get buying a new gun though and going to the range to shoot one box of 50. So I never believe that ! That said I have purchased guns second hand that I truly believe we're never fired.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I have a pretty good count on anything I have owned since new. Also what I've put down any I've acquired pre owned. The pre owned is variable that can not be guaranteed though. I don't get buying a new gun though and going to the range to shoot one box of 50. So I never believe that ! That said I have purchased guns second hand that I truly believe we're never fired.

Not everyone has to load up and make a special trip to the range. I have purchased guns new and only shot enough to sight in a scope or something right out in the back yard and then before shooting it again end up selling it or something as I'm always open to wheel and deal on certain guns that don't have sentimental value.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    I shoot to much to really count. I just figure I did x amount of classes in a given time frame and look at what the minimum amount of rounds recommended and use that as a base.

I'm not in the habit of buying and selling so maybe that's why i don't pay attention? I dunno?

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I bought a AR years ago and kept a loose rd count on it, basically 6400 rds downrange before the accuracy went out the window! Never really kept accurate count of any of my other weapons though. It was easy back then, this was my only AR and rifle I was shooting much! Thank goodness the manufacturer warrantied my barrel for me!

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If I really kept count, I think it would be easier now than when I first got started. Back then it was buying a few boxes at a time from Academy. Now that my addiction has worsened, the orders are on-line for x-thousand rounds. It would be easier to remember that I bought 5K rounds of 9mm in 2015 and the vast majority were shot out of my G17.

marmy7451

Bill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Livingston Parish
    I have a number of pistols that I use in classes. A KelTec PF9 with 8100, a SIG P220 (AKA Browning BDA) 38 SUPER with 23000 when I stopped keeping records on it. The highest count I have on a revolver is a Ruger Security Six with between 11 and 12,000. All still serviceable and as accurate as they ever were as far as I can tell.

DH Vidrine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    I keep a shots fired count on my competition service and match rifles. I change out my 5.56mm service rifle barrels at about 2500 shots fired. At 2500 shots they still shoot well at 200 yd. but begin to loose X's at 600 yd. I sell the take-off barrels on GunBroker with full disclosure. I get $85 each from the zombie slayers.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    As DH Vidrine does I keep track of round count on the competition service rifle and just starting with the Ruger Precision Rifle which will be used for F Class. I'm not at Mr Vidrine's level and can't tell if I'm loosing X count or if I just botched the shot. As such running the service rifle to beyond 2500 rounds makes sense at my level.

I keep track by buying a sleeve of 5000 primers and using those primers only for that rifle. 5000 minus whatever is left over is what is gone down the tube.

I sorta keep track of round count in handguns. The 1911 especially likes to have its' recoil spring changed every 5000 rounds. Except for the 1911 it's mostly a WAG.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    The only one I know for sure is my single shot primitive season gun, only cause I've only ever bought 1 box of ammo for it and still have a few left. Once I get some more my count is going to go out the window.

I have a rough idea on some of my guns, but for things like the G17 I've carried for 10 years with lots of practice, competitions, qualifying, training, etc...? Not a clue. probably not 10K, but it's a lot.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Years ago, my wife bought me a stainless 10/22 for Christmas. I went to Honey Island every weekend and shot two bulk packs of Federal, or 1100 rounds, then came home. I did this for two years. Unfortunately, I graduated from Orleans public school, and can't count that high. I feel comfortable just saying that that receiver has a bagillion rounds through it.

I have a Dan Wesson that I've had since I was in my 20's. (A long time ago). It also has had a bagillion rounds through it, measured with the same scientific accuracy.

My HR Handi in .300 Blk Out has had 18 rounds through it. Now that I've mounted a Surefire 7.62 Muzzle break, I might shoot it a bit more. :mamoru: Still working on reloading data for it. I want to shoot Donny's 115gr LRN bullets for .30 carbine through it.

I have exactly 0 firearms that have never been fired, although I do have one Black Powder Pistol that I've never fired.

ca survivor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2015
    Miami, Florida
    I have a book with the gun serial # and date that I bought it, every time I shoot a gun I go back to that gun's page and put down the dated and rounds fired.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    If I regularly shot at 500 yards I'd keep a round count. I'd estimate that most of my 200 yd guns have barrels that are good for 10,000 rounds. If I shoot 100 rounds at each range trip, go to the range once a month, then it would take me ~8 years to wear out a barrel. Yes I know, hotter loads wear a barrel out faster, etc. etc. etc. On the flip side if you keep the gun clean and don't run them until you can cook bacon then they last even longer than normal; And I won't shoot the same gun at each range session so my barrels should last even longer. Too much trouble to keep a round count.

Top Bottom