Ruger LCP's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Congrats on your purchase :D

I carry mine in a desantis pocket holster that I got with a Glock 26. It's a little big but it protects the trigger. I'd kinda like to get something else as the desantis holster seems to leave a glue-like substance on whatever goes in it, even if I clean it.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    love mine and dont mind shooting it at the range all day if I could find some ammo. Mine runs 100% so far on hollow points and fmj but I only about 300 rounds through it.

001-3.jpg

002-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    I just bought a Ruger LCP with the stainless slide from Houma Auto parts today. I had been trying to decide between the Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP and a J frame revolver for quite some time and finally decided on the LCP. It seems to fit my hand well and you couldn't ask for a more comfortable gun to slip in your pocket. Hell it weighs about the same as an Iphone when empty. Can't wait to shoot it. I picked up a box of winchester 92 grain wad cutters and a box of Hornady critical defense 90gr. Reading this thread makes me feel good about the purchase.:)

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just bought a Ruger LCP with the stainless slide from Houma Auto parts today. I had been trying to decide between the Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP and a J frame revolver for quite some time and finally decided on the LCP. It seems to fit my hand well and you couldn't ask for a more comfortable gun to slip in your pocket. Hell it weighs about the same as an Iphone when empty. Can't wait to shoot it. I picked up a box of winchester 92 grain wad cutters and a box of Hornady critical defense 90gr. Reading this thread makes me feel good about the purchase.:)

Wow, they make a stainless slide? I've have one of the original LCP's with the shiny barrel, and though I've had no rust I'd love a stainless model. I've been at the beach all week and have my fingers crossed on the rust issue. None so far.

Also, I've carried mine so much that the black finish is starting to wear off. Gives it a nice look with the holster wear.

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    I have the stainless one too,I believe its called the Chromed Finish are something like that. Its looks damn good and shoots really well. Wall-Mart has boxes of the ammo on Johnston street right now,Im REALLY glad I made the purchase.

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have the stainless one too,I believe its called the Chromed Finish are something like that. Its looks damn good and shoots really well. Wall-Mart has boxes of the ammo on Johnston street right now,Im REALLY glad I made the purchase.

I wish Ruger would update their website. I want to see some pics of the other finishes. They only show the black one there.

BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    Shot it this weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Recoil is snappy but definitely manageable. With a little practice it should be fairly easy to become proficient with this little gun. I ran about 20 rounds through it without any jams or fail to fires. Now I just need to find a decent holster. My only complaint was that the take down pin was a little difficult to extract. It would be nice not to have to use any tools for field stripping but once the pin was out the gun was nothing to disassemble and reassemble.

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    Thought I would chime in as well, even though its several days late. I picked one up the other day from another BS member. Bought some ammo today and run 18 through it. I pretty much agree with everyone, snappy and long trigger pull are the down sides. I bought a tagua leather rear pocket holster and a blackhawk nylon front pocket holster. Been wearing them outside and around the house today, both seem very comfortable. I got 5" groups per 6 shot group at 15 feet. I like it, believe I will carry it alot, once I get my CC permit.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'm impressed. They seem to like Buffalo Bore hard cast 100 gr ammo and carry exceptionally well.

Not my thing, at least not yet, but I would say if you don't want to carry a J frame, thats the next best thing.

Does anyone know if one of the local shops in the BR area carries Buffalo Bore .380?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I believe Cabela's stocks BB.

I'll have to check them out....Thanks. (I, too drank the LCP koolaid yesterday- and I love it. It's a neat little package, and I like the way it rides in the DeSantis Nemesis.)

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Just a reminder: Ruger says don't use +P ammo in your LCP

If it's a repost, sorry. But I thought I'd just throw this out there for whoever's interested....The last thing you want in a mouse-sized pistol surounded by your hand is a failure.

From their website's FAQ list:

Q: Can I use +P ammunition in my Ruger LCP?

A: No. The Ruger LCP was not designed for use with +P ammunition. Given the LCP's light weight and compact design, the use of +P ammunition in this particular model may result in damage to the firearm or personal injury.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Nice concealable weapon but very uncomfortable to shoot. It feels like it wants to jump out of my hands. Pistol that small I would prefer in .32acp.....faster than 380,holds more rounds and more controllable. With small calibers such as the 32 or 380,size of hole doesn't matter,velocity,penetration and tissue damage does...that's how a 32acp trumps over the 380.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    You may be right, Cujo....It would surely beat the hell out of .25 ACP...:D

Could this be the first time that Ruger issued a warning about using +P ammo in any of their handguns?

If Bill Ruger were still around, you have to wonder if he would have approved of the LCP, given his reputation for building "tank guns".

MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    You may be right, Cujo....It would surely beat the hell out of .25 ACP...:D

Could this be the first time that Ruger issued a warning about using +P ammo in any of their handguns?

If Bill Ruger were still around, you have to wonder if he would have approved of the LCP, given his reputation for building "tank guns".

The problem is that officially there is no +p in .380, because there's no SAAMI spec for it. In the case of Buffalo Bore and anyone else who markets .380 ammo as "+P", it's simply a marketing designation to let you know that it's an overpressure round.

You can't really label a gun safe for +p if no set of standards or limits for it exist.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The problem is that officially there is no +p in .380, because there's no SAAMI spec for it. In the case of Buffalo Bore and anyone else who markets .380 ammo as "+P", it's simply a marketing designation to let you know that it's an overpressure round.

You can't really label a gun safe for +p if no set of standards or limits for it exist.

In your opinion, is the Buffalo Bore's "over" pressure basically negligible compared to say- the Hornady Critical Defense, or the Winchester Bonded, et al?

I'm just looking for a hollow point that will work all-around as good as can be expected in a .380....

MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    I personally haven't run any of Buffalo Bore's "+p" 380 through any of my guns, I'm just not that comfortable with the idea. While I doubt that a few mags worth would do any harm, I'd rather not press my luck. While I trust both of my .380 handguns, I have doubts about their long-term durability when (or if) the round counts get high, even with standard loads.

I remember seeing some conversation on the subject here a good while back. I've heard that the BB is noticeably harsher than standard pressure .380 loads.

Sorry, I know that all I've offered is hearsay, but if I happen to run across a thread with more info, I'll post it here.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I personally haven't run any of Buffalo Bore's "+p" 380 through any of my guns, I'm just not that comfortable with the idea. While I doubt that a few mags worth would do any harm, I'd rather not press my luck. While I trust both of my .380 handguns, I have doubts about their long-term durability when (or if) the round counts get high, even with standard loads.

I remember seeing some conversation on the subject here a good while back. I've heard that the BB is noticeably harsher than standard pressure .380 loads.

Sorry, I know that all I've offered is hearsay, but if I happen to run across a thread with more info, I'll post it here.

Fair enough...I do believe there's some truth to the LCP not being being the right gun for the hotter loads....I mean- it doesn't really hit you until you take it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom