Ruger LCR 9mm: Anyone has experience behind one?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I asked to make my point clear, and I'm glad that you see it now.

Not to get off topic, but I was making the point that his comment was still on-topic enough to avoid your criticism. So I don't see it now in this situation.

PS I will not rely to this post in the future unless I have something to add to the OP. BTW, thanks for the info, Im not a revolver guy so had to learn a few things about crimp/bullet jump.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I personally would like the LCR in .357 it is a slight bit heavier but the ability to practice with .38 and use .357 for self defense is worth the extra ounce. Yes, I have shot both with self defense rounds and with factory grips the .357 is manageable.

Thanks, but this isn't what I'm looking for.

I want a 9mm revolver for ammo consolidation purposes. Yeah, .357 is better, but so is the Glock 20C in my dad's safe...

JR1572

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006

I want a 9mm revolver for ammo consolidation purposes. Yeah, .357 is better, but so is the Glock 20C in my dad's safe...

JR1572

Does Crimp/Bullet Jump typically only happen with brass case or will steel and other cases do the same? perhaps a stronger crimp with a less pliable material?

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Does Crimp/Bullet Jump typically only happen with brass case or will steel and other cases do the same? perhaps a stronger crimp with a less pliable material?

The issue isn't related to case material. The issue is that common 9mm rounds don't have a crimp. Most .38 spl and .357 rounds are crimped from the factory.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

JR1572

Very sorry I'm going off topic also lol.

I would like to find a "quality" 9mm revolver so my carry ammo is all the same. If you come up with a solution please update us.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I personally would like the LCR in .357 it is a slight bit heavier but the ability to practice with .38 and use .357 for self defense is worth the extra ounce. Yes, I have shot both with self defense rounds and with factory grips the .357 is manageable.
    Actually. The 9mm model is slightly heavier than the .357 model. Both are built on the same frame, but the cylinder holes are slightly smaller on the 9mm, resulting in the insignificant difference in weight.

JR1572
    Ammo consolidation isn't the only benefit. Reloads using moon clips are very fast. That's what attracted me to the concept.

Typically revolver ammo uses a roll crimp, where the edge of the cartridge case it rolled over into a crimp groove in the bullet. Semi auto ammo headspaces on the case mouth and typically uses a taper crimp, with is less effective at holding the bullet under recoil.
    This effect, jumping crimp, is mostly noticeable on very light revolvers.

The issue isn't related to case material. The issue is that common 9mm rounds don't have a crimp. Most .38 spl and .357 rounds are crimped from the factory.
    Kinda. 9mm does have a crimp, it's just a different style of crimp. If it had no crimp at all, bullet setback would cause Kabooms in semi autos.

9mm headspaces on the case mouth so the "crimp or lack of" is more of a taper.
    Yes, taper crimp.

This crimp can be adjusted on your dies, same as a roll crimp can.

Most factory ammo won't have an issue with bullet jump, unless you're using heavier projectiles. Stick with 115 gr cartridges, and you should be fine.

A firmer grip can help too.

If you want to try it , before you buy it, I shoot at HI most Sunday mornings. Let me know, and I'll bring it along.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Very sorry I'm going off topic also lol.

I would like to find a "quality" 9mm revolver so my carry ammo is all the same. If you come up with a solution please update us.

I'm working on it.

I really want this to work. I'm in the process of looking for a LCR, S&W 940, or a Ruger SP101.

JR1572

DerpMeister

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Zachary
    I'm working on it.

I really want this to work. I'm in the process of looking for a LCR, S&W 940, or a Ruger SP101.

JR1572

I'd go with the LCR. The 940, aside from being rather rare and quite expensive (and as heavy as a standard J frame), has issues with those moon clips. That is why the couple of dozen of our guys, who bought them as personal BUG/off duty iron in the 90s when they first showed up, eventually stopped bringing them to in-service.

The SP101 is solid; but Jesus, its so heavy you might as well carry a service piece!

DerpMeister

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Zachary
    I wish S&W would bring the 940 back.

If they made it an AirWeight (exactly ONE, the 942, was produced) and changed the extractor star so it ejects no-moon-clip cartridges, then, IMO, you'd have something.

All-steel (i.e. heavy)? A pre-95 640, loaded with the good old-fashioned FBI .38+P round would be MUCH better... in my opinion.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Got several LCR's in stock at Shootwise, but alas, not one in 9mm. Likely could order one though.

Is there a Ruger LE program? Also, what kind of price are we looking at? Last time I was in your place your prices were rather high. That was in 2009 though...

JR1572

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Is there a Ruger LE program? Also, what kind of price are we looking at? Last time I was in your place your prices were rather high. That was in 2009 though...

JR1572

5% off firearms for active military/leo.

We are higher than Academy Sports. That's for sure. But we back up what we sell with a gunsmith onsite, and if that won't fix a problem, we'll ship the firearm to the manufacturer, so you don't have to.

You can check prices on the website: Shootwise.com

To be clear, it's not 'my place'. I work there on Mondays, so the manager can have two days off a week.

I'm really a contractor.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    5% off firearms for active military/leo.

We are higher than Academy Sports. That's for sure. But we back up what we sell with a gunsmith onsite, and if that won't fix a problem, we'll ship the firearm to the manufacturer, so you don't have to.

You can check prices on the website: Shootwise.com

To be clear, it's not 'my place'. I work there on Mondays, so the manager can have two days off a week.

I'm really a contractor.

Thanks. I'll definitely check into it.

JR1572

jlee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 29, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I watched a video by hickok45 on Youtube a few days ago relating to this exact issue: https://youtu.be/tuE6ajPRkDI?t=302

I bought the .38 model with the intention of having an easy to use revolver in the house for my wife to use when I'm away. I was considering getting the 9mm model to have one primary ammo supply, but this issue pushed me away.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    If they made it an AirWeight (exactly ONE, the 942, was produced) and changed the extractor star so it ejects no-moon-clip cartridges, then, IMO, you'd have something.

All-steel (i.e. heavy)? A pre-95 640, loaded with the good old-fashioned FBI .38+P round would be MUCH better... in my opinion.

The only wheel gun I ever carry is a 442 "don't know all the different numbers". But if I could have it in 9mm with no moon clips I'd be set. There's times I carry it as a second gun so not having moon clips would be sweet because I could load rounds from my spare glock mag.

View attachment 67243

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom