Ruger's new SR-22 (.22LR, AR-style)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbadjones

Rating - 96.7%
    119   4   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Natchitoches
    Could probably save some coin by buying a stock ruger 10/22 at academy for $189 then buying the archangel stock for $150. Looks very similar if not better IMO. I know ruger probably won't have any problem selling them though!!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    See, this is what floors me. Great looking rifle, aluminum frame, 10 ROUND MAGAZINE CAPACITY.WTF? Why only 10 rounds??? The Smith & Wesson version has 25. Is it me or does Ruger appear to be continuing their seemingly traditional practice of making PC, "non-scary", "non-evil sounding" rifles??? What gives?:confused:

Last edited:

HammondShooter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Albany, Louisiana
    All the after-market magazines that fit the 10-22 fit this gun. If you have a 10-22, all your high capacity mags will work.

I don't know why they won't supply a higher capacity one themselves--maybe all Ruger makes is the ten round and counts on the after-market to supply the others. Go figure. ???

Shane

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    See, this is what floors me. Great looking rifle, aluminum frame, 10 ROUND MAGAZINE CAPACITY.WTF? Why only 10 rounds??? The Smith & Wesson version has 25. Is it me or does Ruger appear to be continuing their seemingly traditional practice of making PC, "non-scary", "non-evil sounding" rifles??? What gives?:confused:

Ruger did no retooling at all to create this rifle. Nordic Components supplies the aluminum chassis.
    Don't fix what ain't broke.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Go to www.downrange.tv and download Michael Banes' podcast #127. He goes deep into the SR22 and the other AR platform 22s. He also sorts out the various options if you want to go the AR platform 22 route. Dedicated AR platform like the SR22, 22 conversion unit, or a conversion unit upper.

As Scooter said, Ruger did little to put this out. Nordic chassis. Same old 10/22 mags which do work very well. Same 10/22 action. I think Bane hit it. When todays market thinks 'rifle' it's not a deep blue steel and hand massaged wood stock bolt action of the 50's. It's a pistol grip in black with a magazine capacity of more than 5 with a rail that can handle any sighting system you want. Yeah, the AR platform. That's what the market today thinks when you say 'rifle'. Plenty of 22s out there in the old school platform but not a whole lot that look like an AR. Ruger and S&W are the first. Expect to see more in the future.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    Jims has them.

I was building an AR platformed 10/22 but with my recent .22 dedicated upper I have shelved it. it is a better fit for what I needed.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I bought the S&W M&P15-22 the other day and I much prefer it to knockoffs on the 10-22 platform. It is better in my opinion than the Colt, and Ruger, and all controls are exact to the AR. It's accurate and you can install any AR trigger group in it if you like. The only thing else I'd have liked to seen is a threaded barrel.

Top Bottom