Running Windows Program on MAC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Sigh...

As I said, it was asking for something I DIDN'T HAVE. ...

You didn't say that you didn't have the disk, unless there is some sort of invisible text in your message that I can't see!

Been runnin' Macs since 1985, with an interlude when they fell behind PC's during the 1990'. I run Windows 7 using Bootcamp regularly with zero problems, other than fighting the usual viruses and adware that come as part of the price of running Windows. I also run VMWare from time to time when I need to run the two os's simultaneously for a number of reasons - copying files back and forth (although you can easily do that as well when running bootcamp).

The way to run games is to run "native" using bootcamp. Anyone who tells you otherwise is pissing up a rope, or trying to make you go away. You are not accessing full use of resources like video card acceleration when using emulators.

People who have issues installing windows via bootcamp usually are trying to install a copy of windows that comes from a strange source- an OEM copy that is restricted to another computer model (ie Dell only), or some student/teacher issue deal that requires a university account, or a downright pirated disk.

Many times, the person installing it is an unaware victim of a well meaning friend.

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    You are a lot more patient than I am either that or a great multi-tasker..... I can't stand waiting 6+ sec waiting on Aperature 3 to open and it has 4 gb of ddr3 at its beck n call. If I was running that Macbok with the new sandybridge processor I would be sporting a SSD and flying threw ****. In the words of Ricky Bobby, "I wanna go fast!"

That's an understatement. I am a sports photographer on the side with a library of over 60,000 images. I run photoshop as an external editor for Aperture 3 on a Mac Pro. There is no way I'd do that under either emulator. Hard to believe anyone is advocating Parallels or VMWare for resource hungry software (video/photo editing or games).

By the way, the SSD on a MacBook Air makes Aperture surprisingly quick, even on a Core 2 Duo processor. One begins to understand that the bottleneck is often disk access.

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    ....But when HL3 shows up- if it ever does- then I'm gonna have to get serious about this.

Don't call me when it's time to get it set up! I'd rather try to convince the Taliban to convert to Judaism that talk to you about computers. Hell, by then, if you apply your Gun attitude towards your Computer collection, you'll have moved on to Linux anyway!

Of course we did have your luddite arse up and running on video chat in about three minutes, despite your fighting us every step of the way.

Like teaching a Gorilla to play Mozart on a Wurlitzer Grand Piano...

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    That's an understatement. I am a sports photographer on the side with a library of over 60,000 images. I run photoshop as an external editor for Aperture 3 on a Mac Pro. There is no way I'd do that under either emulator. Hard to believe anyone is advocating Parallels or VMWare for resource hungry software (video/photo editing or games).

By the way, the SSD on a MacBook Air makes Aperture surprisingly quick, even on a Core 2 Duo processor. One begins to understand that the bottleneck is often disk access.

I was thinking about replacing my Optic drive with an SSD. (I can't remember the last time I used a CD) I haven't pulled the trigger yet still waiting for the price to drop a little more on the ones over 200gb.

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Just the opposite.

I told you to get an OEM copy from Newegg for a hundred bucks or so, and that the LSU students I know have had to fight a bit to use their free copy, which is downloaded and then burned to disk.

Again, it's common for people to have issues with such kludges.

Did you repair permissions on your disk drive, using the included Disk Utility that is in your "Utilities Folder" before partitioning your disk with Bootcamp Assistant? It's recommended in the instructions, which you need to print, or download to a laptop for reference during the installation.

Good grief! What am I thinking? I'm talking to LSP about computers again! Quick, someone point me at the local Taliban chieftain!!!

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Are you familiar with how to search email? Perhaps this went to your PC and is not visible on your Mac, which has a nifty search feature on the upper right of the Mail window... It has a little spy glass to depict "search".

Sent: Friday, November 12, 2010 12:32 PM
    Subject: Switching to a Mac

"There is a ton of support on the Apple webpages. From "How to" videos, to discussions, to Apple articles. You just cookbook the solution and go on with your life.

If you want to play games, play 'em in Mac mode if available. If not, then you buy an OEM copy of windows from newegg, use bootcamp to partition a segment of your drive for that system. When you want to start up into Windows, you simply hold down the "Option Key" during the start process. A screen pops up showing you the systems available, you select windows instead of Mac, and the thing boots right into windows. Everything works at full speed. The computer IS now a PC in all respects.

Do not get an emulator (Parallels or VMWare), those are not suitable for games, they are meant for people who need to run both OS's simultaneously for business type applications. The Mac comes with the Bootcamp utility that will set up the full speed windows installation, it's free, you print out the instructions and cookbook the installation, just follow the damned instructions and don't outsmart yourself. You will need a new copy of Windows, perhaps not the one that came with your current PC as those are usually confined to work only with that PC if it was preinstalled."

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    This is what you want- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...116754&cm_re=Windows_7-_-32-116-754-_-Product

"OEM" means it can be installed on a new system, which is exactly what you have. This is common for Mac Users running Bootcamp. The license allows for installation on one system, meaning you can't transfer it to another computer. By the time you are ready to do that, there will be a new Windows anyway.

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Repair disk permissions first, Alan will tell you how. The partition needs a section of the disk free of files, which shouldn't be a problem on a new mac that hasn't been filled up with data yet.

The real secret is to print and follow the instructions which show up when you run bootcamp assistant.

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I assume that entailed plugging it in? you are making progress my man! :)

This stuff is all still magic to me, but if you make good use of all of the resources out there, like the Apple discussions forum, One to One, even simply googling a question, it isn't difficult.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I tried bootcamp a year or so ago and had the same problem with it crashing. It's not that I am happy you are having problems,,,,just that now I don't feel so "computer challenged."
    Now I just use my Mac ,,, but when I want windows, I use my old laptop.

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Boys, there was an update to Bootcamp late last year to version 3.2- that may be what the installation is asking you to download.

I run Windows at full speed with no issues, but I don't web surf or do email while in Windows.

Top Bottom