S. 374 - Fix Gun Checks Act passed committee.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legislation/upload/ALB13180.pdf
    The bill makes illegal the private transfer of firearms.
    Exemptions:
    Gifts between family members, but not sales or loans;
    Temporary transfers between unlicensed persons if:
    *It occurs at the tranferor's home and it stays at the home - can't bring it to your buddy's house and loan it to him.
    *At a range, if the firearm is kept at the range and the owner is also at the range.
    *At a non-profit competition, if the owner is present.
    *While hunting, if the transferee has a hunting licence and may only be possessed where hunting is legal, during hunting season.

You may temporarily transfer a firearm to a potential buyer, but the owner has to remain present.

The Attorney General sets the maximun fees associated with the FFL transfer and the Attorney General shall include a provision requiring a record of transaction of any transfer that occurred between an unlicensed transferor and unlicensed transferee. It doesn't say this record is limited to a 4473, the AG may require separate reporting to the ATF of private transfers.

Penalty for violating this section is up to one year in jail and a fine.

The bill also required reporting of lost or stolen firearms within 24 hours of discovery of loss or theft. The penalty for failing to make a report is up to five years in jail and a fine. Further, the loss of theft must be reported to the Attorney General and your local law enforcement.

The bill will become effective 180 days after passing. The next stop for this bill is a full Senate vote.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    That's some stupid **** right there.

While it's all retarded, my favorite part is the family member exemption.

What possible difference does it make per the scope of the law (supposing to keep unlawful people from possessing guns) if I sell the gun to a family member rather than gifting it to them? How could they even possibly or probably prove that the exchange included money or trade goods? Does barter count as a sale even, or is only with money?

Requires reporting a gun lost/stolen... sheesh.

I doubt this'll go far as-is. They'd surely have to amend that if they hope to get it passed.

bakerman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    St Tammany
    It is an unenforceable set of laws and they know it....ask yourself why are they doing it then?

Think about it...how can this be enforced

Temporary transfers between unlicensed persons if:
    *It occurs at the tranferor's home and it stays at the home - can't bring it to your buddy's house and loan it to him.
    *At a range, if the firearm is kept at the range and the owner is also at the range.
    *At a non-profit competition, if the owner is present.
    *While hunting, if the transferee has a hunting licence and may only be possessed where hunting is legal, during hunting season.

You may temporarily transfer a firearm to a potential buyer, but the owner has to remain present.

Last edited:

Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    It is an unenforceable set of laws and they know it....ask yourself why are they doing it then?

It's either a hail mary or the Senator is trying to pile on so much that it gets tanked. Rumor is Schumer is just trying to make points by submitting the bill. The original bill, with bipartisan support, had exemptions for CHP holders. This one doesn't even have exemptions for law enforcement.

Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    UPDATE: S. 374 is being 'retooled' and is supposed to include language that explicitly says there is no registration and no confiscation. There were four Senators working on the bill, but three refused to cosponsor. Exemptions for CHP holders may find it's way back into the bill.

There is still no indication of what would compel and criminal seller to conduct a background check on his criminal buyer.

S. 150, the assault weapons ban, will be heard tomorrow.

bakerman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    St Tammany
    Then it is toothless laws. The only way they could be enforced is with registration and an individual required to carry a registration card with each firearm to prove ownership. This bill should scare gun owners like no other bill

Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    Last week, the bill related to straw purchases was passed 11-7 and heads to the Senate floor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/08/us/politics/bipartisan-bill-straw-gun-purchases-senate.html?_r=0

Yeah, that's when S.374 was titled Protecting Responsible Gun Sellers Act of 2013, it's since been renamed to Fix Gun Checks Act. The original bill was empty and during committee it was changed with amendments to prohibit private sales and make it a felony to loan you firearm to your family and friends.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    UPDATE: S. 374 is being 'retooled' and is supposed to include language that explicitly says there is no registration and no confiscation. There were four Senators working on the bill, but three refused to cosponsor. Exemptions for CHP holders may find it's way back into the bill.

There is still no indication of what would compel and criminal seller to conduct a background check on his criminal buyer.

S. 150, the assault weapons ban, will be heard tomorrow.
    :rofl: and we won't spend the SS money either

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    What I sent to my senators, representatives, speaker of the house and a few others.

"S. 374 - Fix Gun Checks Act

I DO NOT support "fixed gun checks" or "universal background checks." It is unconstitutional to create such laws. I also DO NOT support anything that comes out of Dianne Feinstein's mouth, and DO NOT support any form of gun ban, accessories ban, gun restrictions, constitutional Second Ammendment violations or anything of the like.

I, and my entire family, as well as my friends (around 50, not to mention many others of whom I know - which go closer into the many hundreds) DO NOT support such legislation. We are also all voters who WILL NOT forget how our representatives vote, whether it's according to our wishes or not. "

Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    S. 150 Assault weapons ban just passed committee. It will go before a full senate vote. I think both of these bills will be voted on in April. The Senate will be in session April 6 - 28

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    What I sent to my senators, representatives, speaker of the house and a few others.

"S. 374 - Fix Gun Checks Act

I DO NOT support "fixed gun checks" or "universal background checks." It is unconstitutional to create such laws. I also DO NOT support anything that comes out of Dianne Feinstein's mouth, and DO NOT support any form of gun ban, accessories ban, gun restrictions, constitutional Second Ammendment violations or anything of the like.

I, and my entire family, as well as my friends (around 50, not to mention many others of whom I know - which go closer into the many hundreds) DO NOT support such legislation. We are also all voters who WILL NOT forget how our representatives vote, whether it's according to our wishes or not. "

I'd bet they don't even read the letters we send.

MOΛΩN ΛABE

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'd bet they don't even read the letters we send.

MOΛΩN ΛABE
    I've seen several, and known a few, people who work in politicians offices that say they do read every single one. They read it, mark it in a tally to accumulate the entire opinion and move on. That's it. Your big 5 page motivational speech is wasted as it gets the same result as a 2 sentence statement on your position regarding the topic. But it gets read and counted.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom