s&w 642 or ruger lcr?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6cyclone6

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    BATON ROUGE
    I have decided a want a small revolver to add to the collection. I am just looking for opinions. I have a friend that has a lcr, and has had fail to fire issues with it. I know every/any gun can have issues. I am leaning to the smith, but i have not decided what do you guys think?

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Mom's Know Best

No contest. Get the S&W.

I bought my mother an LCR, only because she insisted. She liked the way it felt in her hand, and refused to let me show her some alternate stock options on the J frame.

I beg to differ and say LCR.

I also have put over 100 rounds of ammo including +P ammo and it's still tight as a pair of socks on a roster!

Isn't how it feels in your hand and being confident in your decision a major part of buying a firearm?

Mom knows best IMHO LCR:}

Last edited:
    J

jayd

I prefer the 6 shot Colt Agent over the J frames

(Colt on top, compared to J Frame on bottom)

standard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have S&W and Taurus. Both are fine, for what they are, 5 round lifesavers.

Since we are having more and more teen-assasins around here, many of us have gone to carrying a "J" in our HAND when out on the streets, concealed under clothing, for IMMEDIATE use in a life-threatening situation.

Since the 15 year-old murdered the Byrne lady AFTER she complied and cooperated, IN FULL PUBLIC daylight VIEW, 2 years ago, many of us realized that the only way to survive was to be immediately ready.

Last Winter, a tourist saved himself & his wife by being very ready on the "Moon Walk" by the Riverfront Hilton.

The Orleans Judges just turn them back out to the streets, again and again, until something terrible happens.

The kid who fired 32 rounds into a Haloween crowd earlier this week was 19, with six previous felony arrests and a long rap sheet of other crimes. One dead, 15 wounded from that. He did this in the middle of a bunch of NOPD and got away for a week !

When I treat the survivors in the hospital, I frequently have to forcefully tell them to quit cursing theri OWN MOTHERS, who are there to care for them.

leVieux

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Beautiful pony, Jay.

While I have often said that I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother who owned a Colt revolver, that perjorative does not apply to the snubs.

One day, I'm going to run across a cherry pre-shroud Agent ( I'm talking about the ejector rod shroud... Loves me some hammer shroud :D ), and I'll buy it. Just to have.

I have a 4" Cherry Diamondback you might find changes your mind!

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I also prefer the Colt Cobra (had an agent it was beat) to the J-frame. But I do occasionally carry a Model 60 S&W b/c the grip is shorter and it conceals easier. Plus it's stainless so if the weather is foul it's coming with me instead of the Cobra as well.

Dave

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Nope. Handled and shot several. Yes, the Diamondback is probably the nicest DA revolver Colt ever produced (and I include the over-rated Python in that statement); but its nothing more than a gussied-up D frame Colt with a too-large square butt and too large of a barrel with a totally useless ventilated rib :rolleyes: .

The snubby D frames are utilitarian guns; no frills, no useless "extras", just solid tools. The Cobra and Dick Special are substantially larger than a J frame, enough so that the sixth round advantage is obviated (IMO). But the chopped butt of the Agent... ah, now that sixth round and bit of extra bulk is easier to conceal.

Anyway, just my opinion. But either one (S&W or Colt snubby) is LEAGUES above that LCR... or any Tauri... in my opinion. ;)

Yea, I've owned a Python, and shot several. I have nicer S&W's.

But I traded into this Diamondback, in box with papers I have $620 in it, and decided to keep it. (Wish it was .22)
    Nether them nor my Dick Specials will get carried in preference to my Collection of J frames, but "Dang" that Diamondback is sweet!

Top Bottom