S&W M&P Pro 9mm.........

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary
    I've been thinking about getting a new pistol and I'm leaning towards this. Does anyone have any thoughts, insight, personal trigger time that you would like to share? I like what I read about it but that is as far as I've gotten.

any info is appreciated

Thanks
    -Sam

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I hear that those who get a trigger job have nothing to complain about afterwards.

I have shot one, not extensively and think it’s a good gun, just like most don't care for that style of STOCK trigger.

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Good gun, have one and like it. Trigger is more than fine out of the box but I did a small amount of polishing on it. Don't shoot often lately but it's my production gun for USPSA...

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I've had one since they first came out. I had the 4.25" before the pro came out, and I have a .45 cal also. My pro is a great gun but mine isn't as accurate with 147 gr bullets even with a different barrel. Best accuracy is with 124's. I did the triggers myself, but now you can get a sear, and FPB from Randy Lee at Apex and that would make a big difference in trigger pull. I run a 13# recoil spring and a stainless guide rod from Speed Shooter Specialties, I have Dawson adjustable rear and fiber optic front. I prefer my M&P over my Glocks, mainly because of feel and slide bite. I currently use a CZ Shadow for production, mainly for better accuracy, and I plan on getting an M&P in .40 if they come out with a 5" pro. I have extensive load data if you need it.

Last edited:

ReilleysMom32

Drunkie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    NOLA
    I have the 9mm M&P and love that thing. Totally comfortable for my small hands and I haven't experienced any problems shooting regular vs hollow points when I'm practicing. Plus, for me, it was way smaller than a Glock to conceal on me and in my Coach purse :-)

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Like mine so far but haven't been able to shoot it much. Ordered a holster and mag pouch from blade tech and will use it at the 3 gun match whenever it comes in. If you want to try it out let me know.

eagle359

AARP Newbie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Terrytown, LA
    ReilleysMom32,

When my wife shoots her Glock 19 she sometimes has a problem with malfunctions caused by limpwristing. Have you had any problems with the M&P ?

John

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have the 4.25 and not the pro, but enjoy it. great gun. I fooled around and changed the striker and recoil springs and ended up going back to stock. i have fired thousands of rounds through it and in the stock configuation it has never failed me.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    ReilleysMom32,

When my wife shoots her Glock 19 she sometimes has a problem with malfunctions caused by limpwristing. Have you had any problems with the M&P ?

John

Between her and the gun you should be able to correct this issue.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I too have the M&P Pro, I shoot IDPA and USPSA 3 Gun, have over 2500 rounds of 124gr of Bayou Coated Bullets w/ 231 powder with no problem, great gun, used to shoot Glocks, changed to small hands, kept stock Pro sights, great gun!!!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I too have the M&P Pro, I shoot IDPA and USPSA 3 Gun, have over 2500 rounds of 124gr of Bayou Coated Bullets w/ 231 powder with no problem, great gun, used to shoot Glocks, changed to small hands, kept stock Pro sights, great gun!!!

How did you change to small hands?

sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary
    Thanks for all the info everyone!

Being on a budget and not having a bunch of funds for upgrades I'm looking for a good "out the box" gun. I like the sights, seems to have a good (enough) trigger, holds enough rounds, I digg the backstrap thing and it has a rail.

Seems like good bang for the buck (all puns intended)

Thanks again

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I don't think you answered the million dollar question...what is the pistol for? Carry? Home defense? Competition? Range toy? If your answer is one of the first two, I'd pass on the Pro version of the M&P.

I've had one since they first came out. I had the 4.25" before the pro came out, and I have a .45 cal also. My pro is a great gun but mine isn't as accurate with 147 gr bullets even with a different barrel. Best accuracy is with 124's. I did the triggers myself, but now you can get a sear, and FPB from Randy Lee at Apex and that would make a big difference in trigger pull. I run a 13# recoil spring and a stainless guide rod from Speed Shooter Specialties, I have Dawson adjustable rear and fiber optic front. I prefer my M&P over my Glocks, mainly because of feel and slide bite. I currently use a CZ Shadow for production, mainly for better accuracy, and I plan on getting an M&P in .40 if they come out with a 5" pro. I have extensive load data if you need it.

+1 on the Apex goodies. The trigger (my only complaint with the M&Ps) is approximately 1.34 million times better than the factory setup, with no fancy gunsmithin' required.

sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary
    Well, to answer the million dollar question it's mostly a range toy but i want the rail for home defense. For years now I have kept a pistol (92fs) and a rifle (sks) as my personal/home defense weapons. But ever since late '08 when we came hours away from financial collapse, I have felt the need to get a more "modern" loadout to practice with.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, to answer the million dollar question it's mostly a range toy but i want the rail for home defense. For years now I have kept a pistol (92fs) and a rifle (sks) as my personal/home defense weapons. But ever since late '08 when we came hours away from financial collapse, I have felt the need to get a more "modern" loadout to practice with.

In that case I'd skip the Pro model. You're paying extra for basically a slight trigger upgrade and some fiber optic sights. I'm personally not a fan of fiber optic sights, and especially not the Dawsons on anything but a range/competition gun. If this will be the gun you grab when something goes bump in the night, I'd recommend some tritium night sights instead. And you can do the same or better trigger upgrades than the Pro for very little money (under $30).

I'd recommend picking up a standard M&P-9 or M&P-9L if you like the long slide version. As it comes from the factory it's a great gun. Then you can upgrade things as budget allows, as opposed to paying more on the Pro for things you'll probably want to change someday anyway. You should be able to pick up a like new M&P-9 for under $450 if you look around.

This is just my opinion though...

Top Bottom