S&W M&P Scratchy Trigger

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boothkicker

Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    West Monroe, LA
    I've tried searching the forum and cannot find a topic for this. What's the deal with a scratchy trigger on my S&W M&P 9mm? I bought the gun used but it has no signs of use/wear/"hidden" carbon build up. If the slide is on the frame the trigger is extremely scratchy and feels like it's grinding or something. If I take the slide off and pull the trigger it is fine.

Is there something I can polish to get the scratch/grit out?

Thanks

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The firing pin plunger causes the grittiness during initial takeup. You can round it off/polish it or best bet is just drop in an Apex kit. To access the plunger you have to remove the rear sight.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Y'all can keep them M&P's. I think it's ridiculous that you need to replace all those parts with APEX parts.

My Glock still has it's original guts.

JR1572

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I just picked up a Shield and although I like the gun, the thought of spending another $100 to de-**** the trigger... Not happening.

You don't *have* to. The trigger really smooths up after ~500rds. To make it even better on a budget, just polishing the striker plunger, trigger bar loop and sear will dramatically improve the pull. The Apex kit takes that a step further by lightening things up and giving you a shorter trigger pull and much crisper break. It's far from a necessity but it makes for a damn nice trigger.

Boothkicker

Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    West Monroe, LA
    Thanks for the info. I'll probably try the polishing method first. Going to be taking the gun apart for cerakote/duracoat here soon so I'll have all the parts out anyhow.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I just picked up the Shield yesterday, and although I have not fired it yet, I have been dry firing the **** out of it.

I owned an M&P 9 when they first came out, however many years ago, and I have to say that the trigger in the Shield feels MUCH better than that early 9 did.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Unfortunately, there's about eleventy jillion things that can cause grit in the M&P trigger. Though Speed is right-- if it's during the earliest part of the take up, it's probably the striker block and the subsequent plunger on the bar. (That block is STUPID square at the shoulder, unlike the relatively round one on everything else. The APEX replacement and any decent trigger job leaves it a polished dome shape, just for reference.)

You may also have grit between: the trigger bar loop and the sear, the sides of the sear and the sear housing (seen it especially in the newer versions), the sear spring cap and the sear, the sear spring and the sear housing, the rear of the trigger bar and the sear housing, the striker block and the slide itself, the striker block spring and the striker block...

It's a shame that the guns need work, or at least extensive running in, out of the box. A lot of it could be cleared up from the factory, and truth be told... the APEX parts are nothing if not evidence that S&W could make the gun that sweet before it even left their hands. (Drop in stuff, after all.)

That said, once all of that's taken care of... they're really hard to argue against as a very solid and sweet shooting polymer duty/carry gun.

FYI-- if you know anything at all about firearms, or mechanics for that matter, the guns are stupid simple to work on. There are several .pdf and video references out there to help you along. I'd highly suggest going with the SSS replacement hard sear if you're going to do any stoning/cutting though, as that crappy silver MiM one the guns come with now will NOT stand up to much work... or hold a shape for very long.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Boy, did I goof mentioning that I have a Shield.

The vultures are already circling. Could it be my reputation?

That's why I didn't mention mine! :ninja: Dave in LAF had one on the shelf on friday 4/26, 9mm...$425 if i remember right.

Even though they improved the trigger on the Shield, I still want Apex parts in it. I REALLY want a metal trigger for it like they make for the original M&P series... (im used to shooting glocks with the a similar trigger safety)

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    For the northern vultures, I was at bass pro in bossier yesterday and they had one out on display for 449. Not sure how many they had total in stock. Just saw the one.

I'm in the same boat too of like the trigger so far but have only been able to dry fire so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoyL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Youngsville, LA
    If you will just go to the range a couple of times I think you will forget that gritty feel you get when you mess with the trigger at home. It has zero effect, and if yours is anything like my 9C, it will be flawless in operation. I have put 400 or 500 rounds through mine and I forgot about it the first time I took it to the range. The trigger is what it was designed to be, and people can talk about Apex all they want, the stock trigger is excellent for rapid fire and accuracy. I wouldn't spend 10 cents to change it.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Hey man if it takes 500 rounds to "break it in" you're spending twice what the DCAEK costs these days.

The more I dry fire the Shield, the less I want to do anything to the trigger. There's no gritty take up. What take up there is isn't long, like on a Kahr for instance.

It doesn't really stack either. It takes up and then it breaks. Clean break. It's almost like a 2 stage trigger. I've finally got a day off tomorrow and if I do nothing else all day, I will be shooting my Shield and I have high hopes for it and the trigger.

We'll see... Otherwise, get your Benji-greens together, all ya'll that texted and PM'd and called me.

RoyL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Youngsville, LA
    The more I dry fire the Shield, the less I want to do anything to the trigger. There's no gritty take up. What take up there is isn't long, like on a Kahr for instance.

It doesn't really stack either. It takes up and then it breaks. Clean break. It's almost like a 2 stage trigger. I've finally got a day off tomorrow and if I do nothing else all day, I will be shooting my Shield and I have high hopes for it and the trigger.

We'll see... Otherwise, get your Benji-greens together, all ya'll that texted and PM'd and called me.

Don't worry about that trigger. I have a new Sig M11-A1, and that thing is as smooth as silk. But at the range, I am more accurate with the M&P 9C. Of course I am just getting used to the Sig trigger action (it popped my cherry for DA/SA), and it is getting better and better, but still, when I'm shooting these two I don't really notice the difference, other than trigger pull weight. When you put rounds down range I bet you will like it. They should put a lock on M&Ps that can only be removed at the range when you have a round in the chamber. Messing with it at home kinda gets in your head. Don't let it. It will be fine.

Top Bottom