S&W SD9 VE storage questions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Globallyoff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    Moderators, please feel free to move this post if it is not in the right forum. I bought my son a S&W SD9 VE and put an Apex spring kit in the trigger group prior to gifting it to him. He is 23 years old, and is just now showing interest in shooting. We went out to the range, and he showed good gun safety, and fair shooting skills. He could easily hit a human sized silhouette target at 10 to 15 yards. I decided after consulting with my wife to keep the pistol at home for now, until he shoots more rounds with me as a mentor and to make sure he completely understands the manual of arms.

Since he did so well, I told him we would work on letting him take it to Baton Rouge (LSU student). He lives off campus in a condo with some 2 other young people that may or may not be pistol savvy.

My main question is, how does one secure a pistol in a rental setting where other people have the keys to to unit so that it is hard to steal, hard to get into the wrong hands, and be of some use for self defense. A large gun safe is not an option right now.

Any serious feedback greatly appreciated.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Most places that rent to college students do not allow guns in the buildings. If he were to keep it there, he would have to keep it where the normal maintenance people would not see it. I would never advocate for breaking any rules as rules are clearly made to not be broken...but...if being a social deviant isn't an issue to you, or him, I would say look at some of the higher end gun boxes if you are looking for something secure.

Another good option, in my opinion, is a more discrete storage system. These options are not as "secure" as a steel lockbox, but they also are not obvious and do not stand out like a black metal box does. Here are two links as to what I am talking about:

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?c=5&p=HO+24670&ct=e

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?c=5&p=HO 24692-4

Both are pretty cool and by buying them, you support the NRA. Before buying your son something to keep a gun in, make sure he is exceptionally proficient with it. I know too many college dudes who have guns that are not qualified to shoot them.

Also, I am currently an LSU student. If your son is ever looking for a workout or shooting buddy, I am always looking to make new friends :)

Good luck!

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'll go over this again.

If you are paying rent, the apartment is your domicile.

In Louisiana, keeping a gun (or anything else legal) in your domicile is a constitutionally protected activity in a constitutionally protected area.

You cannot sign away your constitutionally protected rights and Louisiana prohibits housing discrimination based on you exercising your rights.

They can put whatever they want on the lease, and if they evict him for it, the lawsuit will be quick and profitable.

Back on topic.
    A small, high quality, handgun safe is the way to go. We're not trying to thwart master criminals, just protect him and his roommates from a stupid mistake.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'll go over this again.

If you are paying rent, the apartment is your domicile.

In Louisiana, keeping a gun (or anything else legal) in your domicile is a constitutionally protected activity in a constitutionally protected area.

You cannot sign away your constitutionally protected rights and Louisiana prohibits housing discrimination based on you exercising your rights.

They can put whatever they want on the lease, and if they evict him for it, the lawsuit will be quick and profitable.

Back on topic.
    A small, high quality, handgun safe is the way to go. We're not trying to thwart master criminals, just protect him and his roommates from a stupid mistake.
    And many people break the law often. How many college students do you know that would actually get a lawyer and sue for being evicted? I don't know many who could even afford a lawyer. Of course the law makes sense, I won't deny that. I won't stay somewhere that says no guns. My girlfriend's apartment has a very strict no gun policy. One of her roommates actually got evicted for violating said policy recently. I won't stay there and I try to not go there because of said policy.

I do agree with rrussotwo about the small handgun safe. If he can get away with having it in a discrete location, that would be the best option.

Globallyoff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thanks for the replies. The condo is owned by a local (Shreveport) doctor. I haven't read the lease agreement lately, but you can rest assured that I will. I don't plan in calling him and asking for permission unless firearm ownership is proscribed in the lease. Im beginning to think that a small gunsafe with the Simplex push button locks is the way to go. I have to make sure my son is on point in his mindset and has no desire to show the pistol to other visitors to the condo. He will be on target before the firearm ever gets to BR. In addition, he will have read about lethal force (the Gravest Extreme) by Mas Ayoob comes to mind.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom