Safe to run in NO?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    I will be staying at the Riverside Hilton this weekend and the wife and I want to sun Sat morn. Is it safe to run around the area we are staying? Or is it worth a travel to a park etc. Not super familiar with the area and would like some input. Thanks! Run will be approx 6-10 miles.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Can't answer the local safety issue- but from what it sounds like, the weather is going to be a mess, man....cold front shoving through. :thumbsdown:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Not too familiar with the area or which streets would be best to travel on, but a good 10-mile route would be from the Hilton to City Park and back. The weather actually should be fairly nice for running if you don't mind the rain.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    That's right downtown by the quarter, high traffic/tourist area. You'll be perfectly fine to run anywhere around there, unless you like to run at 3am.

Or drive/walk/streetcar up to Audubon or City Park if you wanna make a thing out if it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I don't know where you would run in the CBD. The warehouse district has had a revival of sorts over the past several years, but as for jogging; ugh! Uneven streets, cracked sidewalks, stopping stride to avoid traffic, etc...

Speed's idea of trolleying to Audubon is not a bad one at all. You will find many runners there. They also run on the river levee between the Corps of Engineers and Parish Line.

As for your safety? If you stay in the CBD, you are more likely to get struck by Nigerian taxi driver texting than a predator.

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    Thanks guys...I just looked at the weather...don't mind the rain but not a down pour. They do have a nice workout facility too...

MD_Wells

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Running in New Orleans

I would definitely recommend going to City Park and running on the new trail that surrounds the big lake in front of New Orleans Museum of Art.

Also, they recently built another walking/running trail across the street, North of the Big Lake trail.

Check out the Nature Trail off of Harrison Ave. There are also various walkways that were once used for the old golf course that people run on throughout the central section of the park, between Harrison and Filmore Avenues.

Enjoy your stay in New Orleans!

Oh, and for shooting purposes, The Shooters' Club in Harahan is a great range!

GaryCCR

Off target
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Westbank, La
    If you're running that far, i would go up poydras, go down st charles and you could run down st charles on the neutral ground to audubon. or ride the street car and run around city park. city park is big, about 1300 acres. if you go to audubon park make sure to check out the tree of life. also, safety is no issue i think, like someone said unless you run at 3am, lol. dont miss the char grilled oysters at dragos either.

Last edited:

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Me and my wife have stayed the weekend at the Riverside Hilton many times, great time, your in a good area, you can catch the trolly to the french market or walk. Your not really by the quarter, your close to Fulton street go check out the Roosevelt and Manning's is right there, great food, not really pricey and cold beer on tap, your not that far from the WWII museum, Civil War museum, and lots of other stuff to do. The breakfast buffet at the Hilton is a little pricey but pretty good still, lots of choices. Cuchon's Cajun restaurant is not that far away and is really good, but nothing is cheap down there.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I bet the staff at the hotel could help you out.

The old Crescent City Classic used to start at Jackson Square, go past Canal a couple of blocks, zig right then left, and straight on to Audubon.

It would also depend a lot on how long you want to run.

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Check with some local running clubs. N.O. Is a runners paradise and there is usually a run somewhere in the city every weekend. There are several running stores/shops that would be glad to help you also.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    If it was me I'd hop the Algiers ferry to the other side and run the levee, no traffic or tourists to worry about. Haven't been on that side in many years, since my grandparents lived on Elmira, but never had any issues walking to the ferry back then and last time I was in the area it looked like it's been going through a lot of gentrification.

DoubleJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    New Iberia,LA
    Check with some local running clubs. N.O. Is a runners paradise and there is usually a run somewhere in the city every weekend. There are several running stores/shops that would be glad to help you also.

Topics kind of old but the above is the best thing to do when you will be in a new area that you presume may be dangerous to run alone.
    N.O. has plenty running groups. Louisiana Running is a show store there that does a lot of runs. Also can check with groups like Run Louisiana.

Top Bottom