Safety Bonuses

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So there were no Transocean workers there? None of them did anything at all to contribute to what happened?

My point is, they claimed this year to be their safest ever. You should never be able to make that claim in a year when you lose 11 lives in one accident. I suppose the accountants don't see a death as a "lost time" accident though.

Pookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    I think they mean it was the "best year in safety performance in our company's history" since becoming a "Swiss" company last year to avoid paying U.S. taxes. Technically, I suppose that's true.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Torpedoes shouldn't count against safety records

If the only fault in RT found was the BOP not closing , the rig is still submerged and probably always will be, I just don't see how any blame can be attached w/o hands on investigation.

Whether torpedoes or huge methane pressures...whatever ,the cause can never be proven as absolute in my book.

Just a dam shame and reasonably good bet lives were lost for someones greed, still very sorry for all the families who lost in this mess. Hopefully there are measures in place now to prevent same.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Torpedoes shouldn't count against safety records

Just a dam shame and reasonably good bet lives were lost for someones greed, still very sorry for all the families who lost in this mess. Hopefully there are measures in place now to prevent same.

Then please don't belittle their loss with absurd accusations like torpedoes....

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Thats just a way to say anything that may have caused this mess.....if you don't like the way I word it sorry , I was making an attempt to show sympathy for the victims. Can't imagine whats in you two guys head to jump on it like that. I really don't even want to know

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I think I understand what they were trying to say.

If you take the Deepwater Horizon accident away from the overall industry statistics, then if their normal safety record improved significantly then that is important. It means that in addition to the lessons learned from DWH, they'll improve safety precaution and response even moreso, hopefully, in the future.

I'm not belittling last summer. Not in the least. But it was an untypical horrendous accident. Perhaps a number of people are at fault. Unless we work in that field, and know the history behind each of these corporations we can only speculate. But personally I do think it's a good thing when other rigs out there have improved in their safety procedures. That really is a good thing over all.

Regarding bonuses... I don't know. It goes back to not knowing who really is at fault. I have my own issue with oil field CEO's and the size of their paychecks. Was it tactless? Yeah. But we're also sensitive to it as well. I think today's apology and explanation of what he was trying to get across was better.

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    I have a real issue with this because the media is still spouting "Macondo's BOP" or "BP's well blowout preventer".

This was Transocean equipment and they were in charge of maintaining it..........period. Anybody that understands the workings of BOP management from a drilling contractor standpoint knows one thing for sure..........under no condition will a contractor back down and short-cut procedure due to an operator putting leverage on them.
    Some of this stems back to the fact that there was no remote-control or acoustically-activated trigger on the BOPE, only a "dead-man" switch.

And some of this ultimately should go back to when drilling companies questioned the cost/effectiveness of RC triggers and the MMS backed off the requirement.

As well, I have a very special place in my heart for the manufacturer (Cameron) of the DWH BOP, as well as the riser system. Back in the late 90's I was working on a rig with the same BOP/riser package and had to deal with the heart-ache of watching my lead-tonghand get slammed in the back with a 15lb nut f/ 75' while we were running a stack to surface. It was a clear-cut case of manufacturer defect, but instead Cameron wanted to put the monkey on our back because they said we did not PM the nut "housing" prior to running said riser....which is complete BS. I came across some of this riser years later at a shorebase boneyard in Fourchon and was told it was decommissioned due to numerous problems testing pressure against the conduits.....well no #$#@in' sh!t !!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Torpedos?

mad0218.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members