SBR/Silencer Compatibility Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    I have a Daniel Defense MK18 complete uppper and lower. It has a stock 10.3" barrel. I recently purchased
    an AAC M42000. I have the SBR but still waiting on the suppressor. I have heard that the 10.3" barrel length is really
    hard on suppressors. The AAC rep told me to go with a brakeout muzzle device to help soften the load on the baffles.
    He said the only issue is that you will basically only be able to shoot your SBR with a suppressor as it will be way to
    loud to fire on a range with just the brake. He said it would be twice as loud as a 7mm mag(with muzzle brake) with just the brake.
    Yikes! So if i go with a blackout muzzle device instead does anyone know how much it will affect the decibel reduction and
    life of the M42000 suppressor? I would like to be able to take the suppressor off and shoot if I feel like it without
    knocking the guy next to me's hair piece off.

Last edited:

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I know of some guys on here with that exact rifle. They run suppressors on them as well. I have not heard of any issue on can life. They may get on here later and comment.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    my brother has the same set up, 10.5 inch noveske mk18 clone with m4-2k and he uses the brake out. Says it saves his blast baffle. I have a 10.5 inch sig556, and I'm going to do the same. Already have the brake out2, just waiting on the 7.62sdn6. Also have the blackout. I have both of the 51t muzzle devices not mounted yet. I Wonder if we can do a comparison. But prior, my brother was using a KX3, and I use a 4 prong blackout right now. Both of which are Loud, but not so much that I Wouldn't shoot my rifle. But the first shoot can definitely startle your. I definitely recommend ear protection.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Truth is, you are probably always going to be shooting with your can. The only exception may be when you are shooting a high round count class and you want to save the wear on your can. In that case you'll be outdoors and there will be plenty of other loud rifles around, so it's really not an issue.

I am in the same boat: 10.3" DD barrel, waiting on cans. At the advice of several others with more experience and knowledge, I will be using a Brakeout 2 on my rifle.

ETA: I've been in classes with guys using SBRs with Brakeouts and it is loud and obnoxious and shakes the ground, but it's not unbearable- just part of the deal.

Last edited:

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Good advice guys. I looked at 2.0 a little bit since y'all mentioned it and looks like the way to go. For my 16" AR I would imagine just a flash hider would be suitable. One more question, is rocksett absolutely necessary?

Thanks!

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    AAC and YHM recommends it. Locktite can loosen up when heated. And trust me, these suppressors get HOT. You don't want the supppressor backing out while shooting.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    where are you located? If you catch me on my day off, I have both the brakeout and brakeout 2.0 on my SBR's, and the blackout on a full sized rifle.

can see and hear it both suppressed and unsuppressed.

Last edited:

gunsmith86

Own the night
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Franklinton, LA
    Just to help eliminate (or add too :D) confusion, the Brakeout is the combo brake/flash hider device. The Blackout is the FH only, and the brake only is titled Blackout Brake longhand.

I've used the Brakeout original/v1 and it sucked as a FH. I haven't seen the v2. I'd go Brake on a 10.3-10.5" due to the added blast wear on the first (blast) baffle. I've viewed some tediously tracked after-action pics on one of the silencer forums. I have a Blackout FH on my 11.5" and I think it's OK for long-term wear. That barrel doesn't see much auto fire with the can attached (and also because it's LW profile). Anything over 11.5", I'd unquestionably use the FH. I also had a conversation with Mike Mers about this issue, and he said the DOD guys care about max flash suppression when the silencer is removed and they don't concern themselves with the increased wear or shortened equipment longevity when it's attached. Your tax dollars at work. ;)

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    where are you located? If you catch me on my day off, I have both the brakeout and brakeout 2.0 on my SBR's, and the blackout on a full sized rifle.

can see and hear it both suppressed and unsuppressed.

may just take you up on that, thanks for the offer bro. Btw are the thread protectors worth buying?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Thread protector? The muzzle device should be mounted with the rockset. The brake out 1.0 requires shims to time it. The flags hider doesn't and the breakout 2.0 doesn't. If you are getting an aac can, than it's necessary. I have 3 different aac 51t adapters. On 4 different rifles. I've been itching to ring out my rifles lately but I need an optic for my 308

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Thread protector? The muzzle device should be mounted with the rockset. The brake out 1.0 requires shims to time it. The flags hider doesn't and the breakout 2.0 doesn't. If you are getting an aac can, than it's necessary. I have 3 different aac 51t adapters. On 4 different rifles. I've been itching to ring out my rifles lately but I need an optic for my 308
    Ok. I misunderstood. Apparently I'm the noob here. I kept thinking thread protector to protect the teeth on the the FH when the silencer isn't on. Durr! Lol. Sorry apparently I mixed up threads and teeth. I'm a busy parent, hard to focus sometimes.

Top Bottom