SBR's, SBS's and AOW's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    I wasn't aware of this State Police part till this morning. I thought you only had to deal with the ATFE in this state on Class III.

2. Application To Register As Firearms Manufacturer is a Louisiana State Police form you can get here: http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chDealerReg.pdf Submit the form in duplicate.

3. Application To Register Firearm is again from the Louisiana State Police and you can get it here: http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chFirearmReg.pdf Submit this form in duplicate, too. You can send both applications in the same envelope at the same time. The address is at the top of the form. You'll get it back approved in two weeks or so.

So this is only necessary if you SBR, SBS or AOW right? Buying a suppressor (assuming you are not building one but buying) or a machine gun is not building so this part is not required?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You need to do the registration paperwork with the state for anything NFA. But don't worry it's relatively quick and easy. The examiners at ATF usually call this the state "permit".

Last edited:

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    So this is only necessary if you SBR, SBS or AOW right? Buying a suppressor (assuming you are not building one but buying) or a machine gun is not building so this part is not required?

You have to fill out a State Application To Register A Firearm for suppressors and machine guns too. Everything NFA must be registered with the state, as aroundlsu said.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Thanks. I was just wondering which ones didn't as when I lived in KY we did not have too.

LA isn't nearly as firearm friendly as outsiders think. Yes, this is somewhat unique to our state. We are also the only state in our area that you can't hunt deer with a suppressed rifle in, although I am not sure about Mississippi. They may be the same as us. We are "sister-states" in most ways.

LandrysGuns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Addis, LA
    I get that question a lot on the paperwork with State Police.

First we have file a Transfer from out of state to in state dealer. Once approved, it goes with the form 3 to ATF.
    Then I do a registration of the weapon with State Police.
    Then I do a Transfer form to the person buying it, and send a copy with their Form 4 to ATF.
    And finally they do a registration after they take possession of it.

Too much paperwork. Sometimes LSP will get my paperwork (I fax it in) and sign it in a day or two, then wait to mail it for 2 weeks or more. Other times it gets there, sits for 4 to 6 weeks and gets signed with forms that arrived a day earlier and then they mail it all over. No consistency lately and it puts delays on my orders.

Dale Landry
    Landry's Guns
    225-694-3376

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Sounds like it's time to move to eliminate this state red tape.... Start contacting your reps. How much time and money must the state be wasting with this duplicative behaviour...

AFFS

When seconds count...
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    Sounds like it's time to move to eliminate this state red tape.... Start contacting your reps. How much time and money must the state be wasting with this duplicative behaviour...

I agree. Louisiana is the only state out of all 50 states (or 57 states if you're Barack Obama) that require this "out of state to in state" additional state transfer paperwork. And it "USED" to take two weeks, but as of lately, it is taking 1 1/2 months just for the state to do their part. This is causing huge delays on NFA processing.

It is time to get all of our firearms friendly state legislator to take a look at bringing Louisiana in line with the rest of the nation.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    Actually I see some quirks in other states:

Arkansas requires that MG's be registered with the Sect of State
    Arizona requires the registration of over .30 cal pistol MG's
    Iowa only allows Class III firearms to basically be C&R guns
    North Carolina requires a sheriff's permit for MG's
    North Dakota requires registration of MG's and suppressors.
    Minnesota requires registration of MG's and SBS's
    Missouri requires non-FFL's register C&R MG's, SBR's and SBS's; C&R FFL's can get any MG, SBR or SBS.
    Virginia requires registration of MG's.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Actually I see some quirks in other states:

Arkansas requires that MG's be registered with the Sect of State
    Arizona requires the registration of over .30 cal pistol MG's
    Iowa only allows Class III firearms to basically be C&R guns
    North Carolina requires a sheriff's permit for MG's
    North Dakota requires registration of MG's and suppressors.
    Minnesota requires registration of MG's and SBS's
    Missouri requires non-FFL's register C&R MG's, SBR's and SBS's; C&R FFL's can get any MG, SBR or SBS.
    Virginia requires registration of MG's.

Yep and they're all stupid...lol! Well, let's deal with this one here and get rid of it - just my opinion.

AFFS

When seconds count...
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    Registration usually occurs after BATF&E tax stamp is approved and does not typically delay the issuance of the tax stamp like it does here in Louisiana. It never sued to take as long with the processing, but the new person they have doing it takes over a month to move the state approvals along.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    And to add fuel to the fire, if you want to travel to LA with your goodies from another state, you have to register your item with the state before the ATF will process your travel forms. Now that really sucks.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    Registration usually occurs after BATF&E tax stamp is approved and does not typically delay the issuance of the tax stamp like it does here in Louisiana. It never sued to take as long with the processing, but the new person they have doing it takes over a month to move the state approvals along.

You're right. I didn't think about it that way.

And to add fuel to the fire, if you want to travel to LA with your goodies from another state, you have to register your item with the state before the ATF will process your travel forms. Now that really sucks.

Got statute or link to that...........as that sucks for outsiders.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    It's in there somewhere. I really got that info from the officer in charge of the division. I called the state to verify the reason a friend, traveling to Will's bash, told me his 5320 travel forms were kicked back by the ATF. Any items registered, in another state, need to have a state registration form to travel to LA. It's a one-time registration and required by the ATF. LA residents won't try to get it removed from the books because it does not affect them.

Top Bottom