Scam?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I'm getting fake medical collections (calls) recently.

I almost bought the one trying to get $13 from me.

But I JUST DON'T give out ANY INFO when I'm called.

I said I'd call them back and called the hospital they were collecting for. Hospital had never heard of them.

Happened again, now "collecting for the doctor" oh and told me "I would not be able to pay the hospital, but had to pay them." even told em I could call te hospital and they would verify.

Called the haopital: never heard of the "billing company"

Insane.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    One of my uncles was hit with the "Microsoft Support" scam a few months back. I can't believe he fell for it too, at least up until the point where they asked him for money. I was worried they may have dropped a backdoor Trojan on his computer, but couldn't find any signs of tampering with even though he let them have remote access to it.

I also had FOUR clients call me about the IRS scam that is making its rounds right now. I had to inform them that the IRS generally sends certified letters that must be signed for telling YOU to call THEM. It is extremely rare that they will call you.

Got this call to my home number a few days ago. I told the guy I was very worried about what was wrong with my system, but that I was running Linux on my laptop and did not know how to do what he was asking. That really messed up his scam pitch.

Epi5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    Houma, LA
    Very fishy, especially when your own number shows up.
    I refuse to answer a call that is blocked or is not programmed in my phone, I just will not do it.

On a totally different note, my wife got a call from the "DEA" several monthes back. The guy had her name, address, and even knew that she had placed an order online for diet pills years ago. He told her that to avoid charges that she would have to pay or get arrested. She called me in a panic after, and I knew it was total BS. They were nice enough to leave a callback number. He called her twice the same day saying that if she didn't pay that the police were going to arrest her.........needless to say, whenever you would call the number (of course I did to see who this ******* was) it was a recording of some democrat sounding like they had sh*t in their mouth. I then decided that I would continue to keep calling that number for days and leave them a "nice" message. It was really fun to get back at the dumbasses. I didn't think it was possible to call someone a stupid MFer so many times.... Every time I would think about it or had something **** me off for the next week I left them a "nice" message.

It's incredible to think that someone would go through that much trouble to try to scam someone. Hell, a real job would be easier!

Do not call scammer back.

They can have their call back number set up with a toll if it connects.

Could end up calling a number 10x times with them just picking the line up and hanging up with a $50 toll .

"A more recent version of the 809 scam involves calling cellular telephones then hanging up, in hopes of the curious (or annoyed) victim calling them back.[6] Effectively, this is Wangiri but using former +1-809 countries such as 1-473 Grenada which look like North American domestic calls but are Caribbean island nations.[7]"

"In the US, area code 500 and its overlays permit a "follow-me routing" in which, if the number has been forwarded to some expensive and arbitrary destination, the caller is billed for the call to that location."

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    The IRS scam hit my brother in law in May, and hit me in September. You'd think those phone calls would be more fun than they actually are. Terrorists have no sense of humor, I swear.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom