Scope Discussion S&B 5-26x56, Kahles 6-24x56i, Steiner T5Xi 5-25X56mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    As title says I am looking to get a scope for my new 5r 300 win mag project and my friend I work with bought a S&B 5-26x56 with the Fine reticle (sportoptics) and I know this is probably the best scope on market I love his, but what about the Kahles 6-24x56i or even the Steiner T5Xi 5-25x56mm (military version or not, really don't know the difference)?

Also anyone know where I could look through all three of these possibly? Any thoughts on those 3 scopes.....the most I expect to take it out to is 600 to 1000 yards, or even use for hunting etc...., I just want premium glass and function and those are the 3 I narrowed it down to.

Thanks in advance,
    David.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    For what its worth I find the best value in the NF ATACR F1 and the Kahles K624i depending on what you need the reticle to do. The AMR reticle in the Kahles is what I need so that's what I shoot. If you can make it up to the store this weekend we might have all three still in stock along with the illusive ATACR F1.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I prefer S&B. You can get the parallex down very close, however truth be told, usually not needed. At a few matches I have had to shoot targets at 10 yards and it was nice to have but really is probably more useful if you dry fire indoors. You can buy something you put over the occular lens to be able to focus close indoors with other scope though so it may be mute. The tracking is great and the glass is the best there is. I had a Kahles but recently sold it because no matter what I did I would not get the reticle clear and the scope parallax free at the same time. If I would adjust the diopter to make the reticle clear the image would get blurry. If I focused on the image the reticle was not as crisp as in my S&B's. The tracking on the Kahles is perfect too no difference there. Both have very positive clicks and more adjustment in one rev than you would need for your intended distance. Both have illuminated reticles which I have NEVER used and really you probably will not much either.

Really you cannot go wrong with either. Another in that same league is the Gen II Vortex Razor. Thinking about picking one of those up soon. Also the new NF are from what I hear better than they used to be. I sold my F1 3-15 because it didn't compare to my S&B's. The new ones are much better glass so I have been told. I have looked through a Beast and it certainly was an improvement.

I've had Leupold, Premier, NF but no experience with a Steiner so no help there.

The only scopes I think I currently own are S&B and Vortex besides an el cheapo on a .22lr.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    See I have a vortex viper pst ffp on my 308 and i really like it, but never thought about the HD ones....Also every nightforce I looked through (granted this was 1+ years ago) in my opinion the glass looked horrid for the price. Thanks for the info so far.....

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    See I have a vortex viper pst ffp on my 308 and i really like it, but never thought about the HD ones....Also every nightforce I looked through (granted this was 1+ years ago) in my opinion the glass looked horrid for the price. Thanks for the info so far.....

The Nightforce ATACRs are using euro glass

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'd definitely take the drive up to Interstate Guns in Hammond for some hands on and knowledge before making such an investment. Lucky to have a local spot with such scopes in stock to handle, might as well take advantage!

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    I bought my Steiner T5XI from Interstate. It lives on my .300WM. I'm very pleased with the scope. I did not have any of the parallax issue that some have reported.

I also have the Kahles 624i . It is clearer than the Steiner. I love it too. I do like the parallax Knob much better on the Kahles. I also like the dial better. I got a smoking deal on it brand new ( not much more than the Steiner.) Because a buddy decided that he just had to have a US optics scope (never even mounted the Kahles) and he didnt like the AMR. I do!

I have a chance to shoot the new Vortex Razor HD II 4.5-27 scope. I love it. It will be my next glass. I plan to put one on a Ruger Precision rifle in 6.5 ( if i can ever find one. ) It's not the lightest scope, BUT I don't think you get anything more by spending the extra grand on an S&B.

I'd HIGHLY recommend making the trip to Hammond to see Chris. Super Knowledgeable, straight shooter.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought my Steiner T5XI from Interstate. It lives on my .300WM. I'm very pleased with the scope. I did not have any of the parallax issue that some have reported.

I also have the Kahles 624i . It is clearer than the Steiner. I love it too. I do like the parallax Knob much better on the Kahles. I also like the dial better. I got a smoking deal on it brand new ( not much more than the Steiner.) Because a buddy decided that he just had to have a US optics scope (never even mounted the Kahles) and he didnt like the AMR. I do!

I have a chance to shoot the new Vortex Razor HD II 4.5-27 scope. I love it. It will be my next glass. I plan to put one on a Ruger Precision rifle in 6.5 ( if i can ever find one. ) It's not the lightest scope, BUT I don't think you get anything more by spending the extra grand on an S&B.

I'd HIGHLY recommend making the trip to Hammond to see Chris. Super Knowledgeable, straight shooter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom