Scope suggestions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIRDMAN 504

BIRDMAN 504
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    HARAHAN, LA
    If you had a beautiful Browning BAR safari model (blued) and you were trying to select a scope that looked good on it without sacrificing optic quality (preferably gloss finish), what scope would you choose? If you suggest a scope, please state why and any experience that you may have had with it. Please don't only post options in the price range that only Rockefeller could afford. Expensive scopes are not totally out of the question and I understand that quality costs money, but theoretically It would be nice for a working man to put said rifle to use before he retires. Thank you.

2011ERIC

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Belle Chasse, La
    I like the Leupold VX 2 in 3x9 with Gloss finish. I have used these on rifles that are really nice looking. They are reliable and well priced.

BIRDMAN 504

BIRDMAN 504
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    HARAHAN, LA
    Thanks for the input. I've looked at those, price isn't too bad for Leupold. I've also looked at Ziess Conquest scopes in that price range and found nothing but great reviews on them, just wish they made them with a gloss finish. I've also considered an old model Weaver (V,K or T model), just don't know how they stack up. I want to say that I've heard that the glass may not be the best but they are very reliable. Anyone with info on the old Weavers or should I stay away from them? I have to say, I purchased a new weaver rimfire model for a .22 and I think I prefer that to a Leupold rimfire model I also own (both are fine scopes).

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    What price range are you talking about? "...the price range that only Rockefeller could afford." doesn't put much of a ceiling on your budget does it? The best advice I can give someone looking for a pretty scope is to bring your money to Intrastate Guns (Sport Optics) in Hammond, ask them what you can afford with that number, and pick whatever you think will match your Browning.

BIRDMAN 504

BIRDMAN 504
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    HARAHAN, LA
    Don't have a grand or two to spend right now, health insurance is killing my wallet on top of everything else that life has thrown at me this year so far.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    How far are you wanting to shoot? Are you married to a certain magnification? I wouldn't get too married to the idea of going gloss. You'll take some really nice pieces of glass for the coin out of the equation.

Here's my two top picks:
    Metopa Meopro 3-9x42 or 4-12x50 with either the plex or their bdc reticle. Magnification will If you're looked through a Zeiss conquest then you've looked through a Meopta. Nothing Zeiss about the original conquest except for the label on the scope. The Meopta product is great for twilight hunting (early morning/late evening). They coat for a lower wavelength of light (475-510nm) compared to comparable models in the Leupold/Nikon/Vortex line who coat for yellow light (570nm range). If i were looking for a traditional hunting scope right now, that's where I would invest.

BIRDMAN 504

BIRDMAN 504
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    HARAHAN, LA
    I've heard a lot of good things about the metopa but have never had the opportunity to put my hands on one and look though it. Longest range for this one would probably be 300 yards, got bolt actions for further. Just picked up this beauty for a steal and it has a Swift scope on it. I've read all over of swifts being compared to Leupold but with this one I just don't see it. I've looked through Leupold Rifleman series scopes that have better glass than this swift. I want the gloss to keep up with and complement the classic beauty of this rifle. For the money I can try to swing right now, I am leaning towards a Leupold VX 2 or VX 3 in gloss. I think the gold ring on the scope will really complement the Browning gold trigger.

Top Bottom