Scoring matches

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Just finished reading LSA's quarterly newletter from Dan. I've searched the NRA, Google and other forums for how and what the numbers mean on scores at Camp Perry....485-10x etc.
    I know it is an easy answer and n00b question, but the light bulb hasn't come on for me. Any info is greatly appreciated.

S

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    The first numer is the points. It helps to know what the total possible number of points is. 485 out of 500 is better that 485 out of 600 relatively speaking.

the second number is the X count, which is only used in tie breakers. An X is a 10 point shot. A 10 is a 10 point shot.

486 beats 485 regardless of x count
    486-1X beats 485-10X
    485-10X beats 485-9X

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Just to add, depending on the type of match you can have a total possible of 500, 800, or 1000 points.

Around here a 500 point match would cover an EIC match (no-sighters) or a NRA XTC reduced match at Gonzales.
    An 800 would cover a NRA XTC full course match at Palo Alto.
    I've read of 1000 point matches for NRA XTC but I have never been to one in our area or seen one posted.

Averages vs classification. You need to average the given percentage in a sliding 240 rounds total.

________________________________________50rnd______________80rnd
    Marksman Less than 84%__________________419________________671
    Sharpshooter 84% to 88.9%_______________420-444___________672-711
    Expert 89% to 93.9%____________________445-469___________712-751
    Master 94% to 96.9%____________________470-484___________752-775
    High Master ___ 97%____________________485-500____________76-800

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Just to add, depending on the type of match you can have a total possible of 500, 800, or 1000 points.

Around here a 500 point match would cover an EIC match (no-sighters) or a NRA XTC reduced match at Gonzales.
    An 800 would cover a NRA XTC full course match at Palo Alto.
    I've read of 1000 point matches for NRA XTC but I have never been to one in our area or seen one posted.

Averages vs classification. You need to average the given percentage in a sliding 240 rounds total.

________________________________________50rnd______________80rnd
    Marksman Less than 84%__________________419________________671
    Sharpshooter 84% to 88.9%_______________420-444___________672-711
    Expert 89% to 93.9%____________________445-469___________712-751
    Master 94% to 96.9%____________________470-484___________752-775
    High Master ___ 97%____________________485-500____________76-800

LCPL 4,
    I want to meet you at the next match at Gonzales.

I shot Sharpshooter my first match. My second match I knocked my average through the floor in a big way. Like wrecking ball destrcuction. I don't have a classification yet.

I shot some PPC pistol matches, those are 900 and the mid range prone are 600 points. A 499 in either sounds good until you find out they are not 500 point matches & see what the winner gets. At every match I've been to there have been some top of the line shooter.

I've only been to one timed pistol event. The first thing I found out was there is no round count per se. Wow, it was OK to miss.

They are all fun.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I clicked on it expecting a question about pistol matches. :o

How do the events you shoot score? What kind of events? The stuff gets confusing with all the different variations.

The PPC matches are good to start at if you want to get your feet wet. You just shoot the course of fire. It is mainly markmanship with some positions thrown in within a time frame. there is a 900 point and a 1500 i think. 1 static target.

The steel plate was cool because you stood within a square but still had to make choices. Not overwhelming but a little more action because of multiple targets

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    LCPL 4,
    I want to meet you at the next match at Gonzales.

I shot Sharpshooter my first match. My second match I knocked my average through the floor in a big way. Like wrecking ball destrcuction. I don't have a classification yet.....

They are all fun.

Look forward to meeting you RDO. One problem however is that I rarely attend the match in Gonzales. I usually try to attend a match once a month and my prefered local is Palo Alto since it's closer to me and I get the full distance to play with. When I do attend the one in Gonzales it's usually because a more pressing engagement gets in the way of Palo Alto. If you're looking for advice, Dan and a majority of the HP guys are much more experienced than I but if I can be of assistance then just ask. I usually can average an expert percentage at 200 sitting and 300 prone but I'm pretty abysmal at 200 standing and 600 prone. I have a bad habit of vertically stringing my shots standing and 600 I'm pretty much chasing the spotter.

Edit - great forums for advice and knowledge - http://www.usrifleteams.com/

Any ideas on why you dropped so many on the second match? I had a bad one quite awhile back. Turned out the free float tube I personally installed eventually worked it's way loose and I hadn't noticed till after I brought it back home. I shoot left handed and it seems the tension I was placing on the forearm with my hand and sling pulls in the direction to loosen while right-handed shooters are the opposite. Live, learn, and always give the monkey wrench and extra turn.

I don't have a classification yet.
    After your next match you will be snail mailed your classification card. It takes 120 rounds to get your first classification.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    The rifle matches at Camp Perry during National Trophy week are either 30 or 50 rounds (300 or 500 points). They are fired with service rifles at 200, 300 and 600 yards, and no sighting shots are allowed.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Dan

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    I see. Not advisable but if that's all you have then by all means I'd be learning to be the best damn carbine shooter at Gonzales. If I could have attended the 300yd vintage match today I would have used an M1 Garand and my late grandfather's old winchester model 94. While it didn't meet the military rifle requirement I'm sure it would have been a blast. :D

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Any ideas on why you dropped so many on the second match?

Short answer: I suck!

I decided to shoot an M1 carbine then looked at the ballistics.
    As I am perfectly capable of dropping points without it I figured I would go ahead and shoot it anyway.

I have a post on here with how it went. The kicker is I outshot a good friend. He had a really bad day. He is a better shooter than that. I felt bad about that.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20913&highlight=m1+carbine&page=2

I try to be safe, have fun and shoot well. The "shoot well" is optional.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    If you're looking for advice, Dan and a majority of the HP guys are much more experienced than I but if I can be of assistance then just ask.
    Dan has helped me quite a bit. I don't think I wouild have a shot a 426 without his guidance. Ultimately you have to do it yourself but having a good coach make it easier. I have picked up some good tips from other guys on the line.

I have found that at every match and in every form of shooting everyone will help you to shoot your best.

I just joined the site you linked last night. I have not really looked at it other than seeing it is a tight ship.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom