security cameras

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DiggerP

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    Along these same lines... if anyone knows a decent installer please PM me. I know it's not terribly difficult -- but I just plain don't have the time. I had some installed at my home and business by a pretty poor installer and would like to get them re-done and added to.

andimthejr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    westbank
    Gotcha this is still alien to me trying to get a grasp on it I was just wanting a total of 4 cameras and enough memory to last at least weeks worth of video.

I was thinking wireless for installation purposes did you run the wires threw the attic? Would it be better to hire someone to install it? I'm pretty handy for most things but not sure if this is something that should be up to professionals?

Thanks for all the responses as well guys helping me take a lot of the expense of trial and error out of this.

i did mine threw the attic by myself it wasn't hard at all a drill, fish tape, electrical tape and some beer its as hard as you make it but with the right tools its gravy deff not something i would pay someone to do and as far as getting it all set up once everything is installed most "reputable" companies that sell them have outstanding tech support be careful of what you buy because in the long run you will be disappointed with "cheap cctv " i tried a few different "quality" setups from Lorex, Samsung and Atrix upwards of 650-800 bucks and all were junk just do your research and read reviews good luck and if ya need a hand installing im not to far from kenner

Darthv8der

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Gretna
    We bought our home in Sept. 2012 (on the westbank near Harvey and wall blvd). And since that time, our vehicles have been broken into (Dec, 2012), my air Compressor was stolen out of my garage (April, 2013), and now our garage door and vehicles have been shot with Paint ball guns (May, 2013).

This is becoming a very frustrating situation. Thank goodness I am a different person than I used to be.

Step 1: Security Cameras
    Step 2: Contact the City and petition for a street light to be installed on our corner as our section of the neighborhood is very dark.
    Step 3: File a complaint with the Gretna Police Depart and request additional or more frequent details in our neighborhood.
    Step 4: Request information and assistance from the Gretna Police department in forming a neighborhood watch program for the area.

I am going to start looking now at some security cameras. I do have some knowledge on purchasing them, and installing. They arent hard at all. If you can hook up your entertainment center stuff you can install these things. If anyone needs help running wires or technical support for installing these I would be happy to lend a hand as well. I will post some photos of the install I do on my home here once I get a system purchased.

carlosd321

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Walker
    I went with revo america through home depot. Its a decent system, i have upgraded a few cameras that have better resolution. Pay attention to the lines of resolution and power source. My cameras take one e cable back to thr dvr and that gives me audio power and video. I went with revo because we have in home nursing and all of the cameras have audio. I would get a system with BnC cables because that seems to be what everything is going to and its easier to swap to different brand cameras. Having cameras will spoil you and drive you nuts. Most box stores have systems online

u2etu4a8.jpg

jehaga4u.jpg

Last edited:

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    In that situation I'd say get at least two really good cameras. You should also consider motion activated lights, super fast and easy when replacing an existing flood light. Another possibility is a perimeter that will alert you. Either a beam or motion detector that when crossed will alert you. I have this with a voice dialer. If someone violates mah perimeter I get a call and can pull up my camera server to see what's going on. When I'm home it sounds a chime instead of calling.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I went with revo america through home depot. Its a decent system, i have upgraded a few cameras that have better resolution. Pay attention to the lines of resolution and power source. My cameras take one e cable back to thr dvr and that gives me audio power and video. I went with revo because we have in home nursing and all of the cameras have audio. I would get a system with BnC cables because that seems to be what everything is going to and its easier to swap to different brand cameras. Having cameras will spoil you and drive you nuts. Most box stores have systems online

monoprice has cables and adapters at a pretty good price.

carlosd321

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Walker
    In that situation I'd say get at least two really good cameras. You should also consider motion activated lights, super fast and easy when replacing an existing flood light. Another possibility is a perimeter that will alert you. Either a beam or motion detector that when crossed will alert you. I have this with a voice dialer. If someone violates mah perimeter I get a call and can pull up my camera server to see what's going on. When I'm home it sounds a chime instead of calling.

Id be interested in hearing more about the voice dialer and where you got that from

carlosd321

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Walker

Id be interested in hearing more about the voice dialer and where you got that from

Darthv8der

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Gretna
    @ Andimthejr Just wanted to thank you for the information. after looking at several different sites, forums, and reading more reviews than I care to remember I ended up ordering the system that you posted a link to. Which was the 8 Channel D1 Digital Video Recorder & 4 x 600TVL Cameras on Costco's website (http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-D1-Real-Time-Security-System-with-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-4-High-Resolution-Cameras.product.100028117.html). It was a little more than what I really wanted to spend but it is a good quality system and gives me an additional 4 cameras that I can add when I find the need or if I move to a larger home.

As I stated before once I get the system (that I have now ordered) I will post some photos of the install and give anyone who is interested a break down of its difficutly and any lessons I learn doing it. Hopefully it will help someone out if they decide to install one.

Also if another member ever wants help installing a system I am always willing to lend a hand.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Darthv8der

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Gretna
    Thanks I am pretty impressed already. I ordered it early Monday morning from Costco and already received the email indicating that it would be arriving tomorrow (Wednesday)! Talk about quick! Hopefully the install goes as smoothly as the ordering and delivery process! hahaha

andimthejr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    westbank
    @ Andimthejr Just wanted to thank you for the information. after looking at several different sites, forums, and reading more reviews than I care to remember I ended up ordering the system that you posted a link to. Which was the 8 Channel D1 Digital Video Recorder & 4 x 600TVL Cameras on Costco's website (http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-D1-Real-Time-Security-System-with-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-4-High-Resolution-Cameras.product.100028117.html). It was a little more than what I really wanted to spend but it is a good quality system and gives me an additional 4 cameras that I can add when I find the need or if I move to a larger home.

As I stated before once I get the system (that I have now ordered) I will post some photos of the install and give anyone who is interested a break down of its difficutly and any lessons I learn doing it. Hopefully it will help someone out if they decide to install one.

Also if another member ever wants help installing a system I am always willing to lend a hand.

Thanks again

awesome man good luck if you need a hand im in marrero you will enjoy and if you have any problems with the networking call tech support! they really stand by their product

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I also run motion lights and FWIW..........A Jeep not to far from Dog Pound had all four wheels stolen from a driveway. The perps unscrewed the bulbs and went about their business. Our wrecker along with one from Holdens had a ton of loose stuff stolen. Tools,chains,binders. If anyone tries to sell you enough equipment to setup a wrecker, PM me please
    :curse:

Darthv8der

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Gretna
    I also run motion lights and FWIW..........A Jeep not to far from Dog Pound had all four wheels stolen from a driveway. The perps unscrewed the bulbs and went about their business. Our wrecker along with one from Holdens had a ton of loose stuff stolen. Tools,chains,binders. If anyone tries to sell you enough equipment to setup a wrecker, PM me please
    :curse:

Sorry to hear that Paddle. I also have a motion sensor flood light in the front of my garage. Although while I am installing the cameras I am going to be switching out my motion sensor activated light for one that will constantly be on. My city counsel man said that they would not be installing a street light near my home even though our specific part of the street is very dark at night. So I am going to set this thing on a timer and have it come on at dusk (6pm) and turn off at dawn (7am). I have been looking quite a bit for a good light and here is the one I found that has good reviews no matter where I looked and is definitely going to be bright enough for my uses. Its a little pricey but so is replacing my stolen property or fixing damage done from hoodlums.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-1-Lamp-Metal-Halide-Flood-Light-OFL-100M-120-LP-BZ-M4/100626328#.UYkzHrXvuuE

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana

Darthv8der

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Gretna
    From what I understand (andimthejr correct me if I'm wrong) you can record directly to an external hard drive (of any size) using the usb port in the back or you can record to the 500 gig hard drive internal and transfer video from the internal to an external for providing to the police or for saving specific video for future use. More than likely what I will do is see how much video the 500 gig will give me with the video settings I choose and if I feel like I need more time before it deletes files to record over I will purchase an external 1 - 3 TB and have it plugged in.

The other thing you could do is have the DVR in one area of your home (like and office or bedroom) and have an extension USB cord running to another room or to a locked box with an External in it saving the recording that way if someone does break in and destroys the DVR at least the video is locked up on the hard drive in another location. (Just a thought).

My Unit is expected to be here tomorrow so I plan to install it this weekend. I will play around with it and let you know what I find out.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The USB port is going to be for saving chosen bits of recording ie: the video of your neighbor peeing on your mailbox, not for the 24/7 recording that it does. You can also save it to a computer over the network. If it's like most the application you use to use/control the DVR from your computer over the network will probably be easier to use than the built in interface. If you want more time recorded before it starts rewriting then you will need to replace the 500GB hard drive with a bigger one. You can also cut down on wasted time by blocking out stuff that sways with the wind. On mine with 8 cameras I have about 3 days worth of recording, it was 5-6 days when I had 4.

Top Bottom