Self Defense from a Car with Matt Jacques

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    No but if I wore scrubs the majority of the time I would go with the dreaded fanny pack. When I was wearing man dresses I wore the stupid thing because its just what worked.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Belly Band is another valid option. I chose Fanny Pack bc I also carries a light, TQ, Spare Mag, and a Frag. Momma wasn't watching me get my head sawed off. Either the FP or the BB are better options than the cup holder.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Another option for someone who drives a Lot is a cross draw. I'm not a fan of them because you still haven't solved the seatbelt problem, but it Is an option.

In my opinion, this would be the one place where an ankle holster might be more effective. I've read a bunch of articles on the benefits of the ankle holsters inside a car. I may have to get a slot in the next GF2 to test this for myself.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    If you don't have a CHP you don't have that option. For me personally if I'm driving more than 10 minutes mine rides in the cup holder.

Cup Holder is for your kids Marshal Arts Class Here is what you need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nug5FZgxuk

Try and see what works for you and your type of car and fire arm.
    It's too late when you need it and it don't work so good!
    Don't want to shoot up your own car? Take a class that fill your needs.
    Add up all the time that you are in your car.:hsugh:

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Another option for someone who drives a Lot is a cross draw. I'm not a fan of them because you still haven't solved the seatbelt problem, but it Is an option.

In my opinion, this would be the one place where an ankle holster might be more effective. I've read a bunch of articles on the benefits of the ankle holsters inside a car. I may have to get a slot in the next GF2 to test this for myself.

Ankle holsters are pretty easy to access sitting in a car. They're for tiny guns though, but if you're engaging from a vehicle, I imagine you're going to be bad-breath close.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    While I understand the value of having the gun on you, no way anyone is going to convince me I'll screw up pulling my gun from the cup holder, yet will be better off fumbling with a fanny pack or ankle holster.

Either way, my situation is my own. Everyone has to compromise something, unless appendix carry works for you that really is THE ideal option. I tried it, doesn't work for me.

The only way I can carry/conceal a Glock 19 is at 4:30 behind my hip. Which is uncomfortable as hell in a vehicle and very hard to draw from, especially with a seat belt on. So what are my options?
    - Keep carrying the way I do, keep the gun on me and have to unbuckle my seatbelt and shift my entire body to draw my pistol.
    - I could carry a smaller gun closer to 3:00 or possibly appendix.
    - Ankle holsters and fanny packs? Really?
    - I can keep putting it holstered and easily accessible in the cup holder.

The "solution" results in carrying a smaller gun. No thanks. The other options keep the gun on me but present huge accessibility concerns. The current method presents it's own issues but allows quickest/easiest access. Like I said, everything is a compromise and there's so many variables involved what works for you or me probably won't work for the next guy.

The singular most important factor is TRAINING for whatever route you decide. No magic holster or carry method is a replacement for training.

And all said and done none of the "keep it on you" options work for people without a CHP, which was the whole point of the discussion. Belly bands and fanny packs are still "on you" and not legal for those who don't have a permit for whatever reason. Should they get a permit? Absolutely. Until then I think "not-on-your-person" methods of gun placement in the vehicle is a good thing to discuss.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    While I understand the value of having the gun on you, no way anyone is going to convince me I'll screw up pulling my gun from the cup holder, yet will be better off fumbling with a fanny pack or ankle holster.

Either way, my situation is my own. Everyone has to compromise something, unless appendix carry works for you that really is THE ideal option. I tried it, doesn't work for me.

The only way I can carry/conceal a Glock 19 is at 4:30 behind my hip. Which is uncomfortable as hell in a vehicle and very hard to draw from, especially with a seat belt on. So what are my options?
    - Keep carrying the way I do, keep the gun on me and have to unbuckle my seatbelt and shift my entire body to draw my pistol.
    - I could carry a smaller gun closer to 3:00 or possibly appendix.
    - Ankle holsters and fanny packs? Really?
    - I can keep putting it holstered and easily accessible in the cup holder.

The "solution" results in carrying a smaller gun. No thanks. The other options keep the gun on me but present huge accessibility concerns. The current method presents it's own issues but allows quickest/easiest access. Like I said, everything is a compromise and there's so many variables involved what works for you or me probably won't work for the next guy.

The singular most important factor is TRAINING for whatever route you decide. No magic holster or carry method is a replacement for training.

And all said and done none of the "keep it on you" options work for people without a CHP, which was the whole point of the discussion. Belly bands and fanny packs are still "on you" and not legal for those who don't have a permit for whatever reason. Should they get a permit? Absolutely. Until then I think "not-on-your-person" methods of gun placement in the vehicle is a good thing to discuss.

I am right there with you! And it depends on the vehicle/console layout. I have this console pictured below. It is almost tailor made for my gun and my purposes/situation. I will even go one step further; a lot of emphasis will be on the layout of the cup/gun holder on even next vehicle I buy as well.

I promise that you guys that carry it anywhere else in your vehicle can't get to yours as fast as I can get to mine.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I also don't want to be killed by a flying handgun in the event of a crash.

Imagine you are in an accident (at fault or not at fault) and 1. Your gun flys out of your cup holder to locations unknown (if not holstered in a retention holster bolted to the car) or gets pinned. Not so easy or quick to get anymore.

2. You get in a wreck, and without thinking you exit the vehicle to check on the other person and forget your gun under stress.

Crazy stuff happens. "I always get my gun" doesn't cut it under very high stress.

I am convinced appendix is about as ideal as possible.

Curt, what appendix holsters have you tried?

I carry a full size gun with RMR, Light, threaded barrel, and soon to be spare mag appendix. No problem, and very comfortable.

--------------
    Hitman - The McColinNoir video leaves me with a few questions / thoughts.

That holster will not retain the gun in a wreck, his demonstration was sandbagged. And second, you cannot get a full firing grip on the gun before drawing. Its no faster than appendix with your shirt tucked behind the grip to expose it.

Last edited:

LafM25

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Lafayette
    Getting into this conversation late in the game but I use a holster mounted on the steering column, close at hand and secure. People don't even see it there unless its pointed out.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Imagine you are in an accident (at fault or not at fault) and 1. Your gun flys out of your cup holder to locations unknown (if not holstered in a retention holster bolted to the car) or gets pinned. Not so easy or quick to get anymore.

2. You get in a wreck, and without thinking you exit the vehicle to check on the other person and forget your gun under stress.

Crazy stuff happens. "I always get my gun" doesn't cut it under very high stress.

To this I would respond, to each his own! And I have been doing it my way for a long time, and have stated before; If I am involved in an crash that sends my gun flying through the air with enough force to ricochet and hit me in the head with enough force to kill; I probably will be severely wounded from the energy of the initial crash itself.

I have enough faith in the hypothetical pros of doing it my way than to not do it due to the hypothetical cons.

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    mounting spot

My truck has a holster mounted in the cab in a easy access. My only concern has always been what will happen in the event of a wreck. Maybe a mounted holster with a release on it would be best.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    If I am involved in an crash that sends my gun flying through the air with enough force to ricochet and hit me in the head with enough force to kill; I probably will be severely wounded from the energy of the initial crash itself.
    You'd be really wrong. It's initially surprising how easy objects become lethal or incapacitating projectiles, and how little it takes. Ask some traffic cops.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

Curt, what appendix holsters have you tried?

I carry a full size gun with RMR, Light, threaded barrel, and soon to be spare mag appendix. No problem, and very comfortable.

And what if you got in an accident and your leg (for you ankle holster guys) or torso got pinned and you couldn't access your gun? There are just too many "what ifs" to have a perfect solution. And again I'm not saying that what I do is ideal, we all know it's not. But it's the compromise that works for me after lots of thought and trial-and-error. I wouldn't recommend it to a single other person as "the way", cuz I'm not them and they ain't me. I'm only stating why I do what I do since without clarification it sounds dumber than it is.

I've tried I believe a Milt Sparks VM2 style (whatever Gomez used for appendix), another kydex appendix holster and a Vanguard 2. I wanted it to work, hence the repeated efforts, but for me none of them were "oh man that's close maybe a different holster will help." It was more like "Hellllll no that doesn't work." With my Glock 26 and the VM2 I could pull it off. However, I'm not giving up my 19 for some pretty out there "what ifs".

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Just out of curiosity, how do you guys that keep the gun in the console or some fancy sort of mount handle traffic stops? I would picture the presence of a gun sitting in the cupholder making the JBT kind of antsy. Not sure why I think it would be a bad thing (in the context of a stop) there moreso than on your person... I just do.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Just out of curiosity, how do you guys that keep the gun in the console or some fancy sort of mount handle traffic stops? I would picture the presence of a gun sitting in the cupholder making the JBT kind of antsy. Not sure why I think it would be a bad thing (in the context of a stop) there moreso than on your person... I just do.

Well Speed is obviously more sophisticated than I, cause I don't even use a holster. But to answer your question; I have only been pulled over twice with it there. I removed it from the cup/gun holder and stuck it under the seat both times. Then I informed the officer(s) I was a CHP (even though I didn't have to). JPSO was very grateful; and thanked me for informing him and never asked to see the weapon; then politely wrote me a illegal turn ticket! Unfortunately, the LSPO was kind of a disappointing interaction. I think he was really undertrained. I wrote about it on here somewhere.

Oh, BTW: He gave me a ticket too! :mamoru:

In the end; no sense in flaunting my cool cup/gun holder to the boys in blue.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

Keeping hands on the wheel, I inform the officer that I have a gun right *there* (looking at gun) and if ask if he'd be more comfortable if I got out of the vehicle. In NOLA, 3/4 times they said sure and I stepped out, 1/4 times he told me to just throw it in the console and I remained in the vehicle. On the northshore I've been pulled over twice and both times they couldn't give less of a **** about it and simply thanked me for telling them.

Guns don't make cops nervous nearly as much as people do. Your actions set the tone.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Well Speed is obviously more sophisticated than I, cause I don't even use a holster. But to answer your question; I have only been pulled over twice with it there. I removed it from the cup/gun holder and stuck it under the seat both times. Then I informed the officer(s) I was a CHP. JPSO was very grateful; and thanked me for informing him and never asked to see the weapon; then politely wrote me a illegal turn ticket! Unfortunately, the LSPO was kind of a disappointing interaction. I think he was really undertrained. I wrote about it on here somewhere.

Oh, BTW: He gave me a ticket too! :mamoru:

Moving around sticking things under a seat while being pulled over is a terrible idea. Just sayin...

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

You know I was going to ask, "just how often do you get pulled over"? in an attempt to undermine your suggestion that traffic stops happen often.....but after reading both post above I guess it is a valid question :rofl:

I haven't been pulled over for several years now. So it just seemed like that would be a super rare occurrence. But I guess for some folks (SPEEDRacer) :p it could be a common thing

Last edited:
    Top Bottom