Seliing a firearm, Would you travel to sell?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Oh, and Robbie, your price looks fair on the pistol you have up.
    If someone has nothing better to do than email you telling you that your auction sucks I submit that you block them from your account (can be done in settings) so you don't have to deal with their attitude in the future.
    Well, unless it's your wife...
    ;)

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I've met halfway. I've also drove a long ways to buy something special that I really wanted. But I've also had an offer before that I responded with "only if you make it easy on me, as in drive to my house to get it"
    Depends on the deal and my mood.

Last edited:

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    That's happened to my me twice here.
    I had no problem getting in my truck and leaving!

I have also dealt with Robbie- no complaints here.
    As for traveling, it all depends on the specific deal.
    For a brick of .22, not worth it.
    On a $3k rifle, travel is negotiable for me.
    But the most important rule is that the seller determines the deal and the parameters under which it is transacted.
    If you have something that I want and you won't travel I, as the buyer, can choose to travel to you, offer more money to make travel worth your while or to pass on the deal.
    As a buyer I figure if I can't meet a seller's terms then I should be graceful and decent about it.

Speaking of folks pulling nasty last-minute antics, it all depends on the circumstances.
    I once sold an item and agreed upon a price with the buyer.
    Met him at his work, it was a hot summer day and out agreed upon location was a sidewalk with no shade.
    Was left waiting for a few minutes (not overly terrible) and when he showed up I was offered a much lower price since he didn't have the full amount in his wallet.
    I told him that I would rather leave and proceeded to do so.
    It was then that he pulled the rest of the money we agreed upon out of his rear pocket.
    To me this was insulting bullsh*t so I told him what I thought of his tactic and left.
    He actually looked offended.
    Premeditated antics like that are what adds insult to injury.

Just my .02.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    HAHA

Oh, and Robbie, your price looks fair on the pistol you have up.
    If someone has nothing better to do than email you telling you that your auction sucks I submit that you block them from your account (can be done in settings) so you don't have to deal with their attitude in the future.
    Well, unless it's your wife...
    ;)

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    As others have said, I'll travel if I really want the item or if it's a good enough deal to justify gas+wear and tear. I've also traveled when I wanted to go that direction anyway as an excuse to get there (ie: going to cabelas)

As a seller, if someone pays my asking price, I'll drive to meet them. I typically price higher than I want anyway because I know the low ballers will offer exactly what I want to sell it for if I list high. If someone wants the item bad enough to pay full price I'll be more than happy to spend some time/money in gas delivering.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have also dealt with Robbie- no complaints here.
    As for traveling, it all depends on the specific deal.
    For a brick of .22, not worth it.
    On a $3k rifle, travel is negotiable for me.
    But the most important rule is that the seller determines the deal and the parameters under which it is transacted.
    If you have something that I want and you won't travel I, as the buyer, can choose to travel to you, offer more money to make travel worth your while or to pass on the deal.
    As a buyer I figure if I can't meet a seller's terms then I should be graceful and decent about it.

Speaking of folks pulling nasty last-minute antics, it all depends on the circumstances.
    I once sold an item and agreed upon a price with the buyer.
    Met him at his work, it was a hot summer day and out agreed upon location was a sidewalk with no shade.
    Was left waiting for a few minutes (not overly terrible) and when he showed up I was offered a much lower price since he didn't have the full amount in his wallet.
    I told him that I would rather leave and proceeded to do so.
    It was then that he pulled the rest of the money we agreed upon out of his rear pocket.
    To me this was insulting bullsh*t so I told him what I thought of his tactic and left.
    He actually looked offended.
    Premeditated antics like that are what adds insult to injury.

Just my .02.

I agree with this. I've done a lot of deals on this site and all went perfectly except for one guy who gets there and offers me less than the agreed upon price. Very insulting and agitating.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I agree with this. I've done a lot of deals on this site and all went perfectly except for one guy who gets there and offers me less than the agreed upon price. Very insulting and agitating.

That would suck.

I've had people over to my house before for deals...

JR1572

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville

I have done this before, but ONLY because the condition of the item was not as described or shown in the photos. Also, if what was stated to be included is forgotten or no longer available.

So that is the other side, you travel a distance prepared to pay the agreed price but the condition or "extras" are not as agreed on then you either pay the price or you get your offer declined and drive back with nothing.

Last edited:

Sks985

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Slidell
    I usually try to reconfirm the agreed price at least twice before I meet up with anyone that I haven't dealt with before. Luckily it has worked out so far.

I have had people try to lowball me the night before the meet and I just refuse the sale for fear of shenanigans once we meet up. It's only happened twice and both were from phone calls so they may not have even been members. That's the downside of listing a phone number in sale ads.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    You've done a lot worse than this if I remember correctly!

How is what I stated is to be labeled bad/worse at all?
    You drive an hour away for something that is suppose to be LNIB and get there to see it has several marks, worn on the slide etc.
    so you offer $30-40 less and it's declined so you drive back.....
    I would say that is BAD on the sellers end.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    How is what I stated is to be labeled bad/worse at all?
    You drive an hour away for something that is suppose to be LNIB and get there to see it has several marks, worn on the slide etc.
    so you offer $30-40 less and it's declined so you drive back.....
    I would say that is BAD on the sellers end.

No I agree with you there. If it isn't described properly than you aren't obligated to go through with sale. I was referring to something else. A deal you did with a guy selling pmags..

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    No I agree with you there. If it isn't described properly than you aren't obligated to go through with sale. I was referring to something else. A deal you did with a guy selling pmags..

I recall what deal you were referring too.
    Makes no difference.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I herd that, I'm not hurting to sell. LOL - I just got a pm that I priced my ad way to high.

If your talking about the M&P 9C then they're right. New they sell for $450 at Buds

But to answer your question. I have my asking price and my bottom line price. If you want me to meet you my bottom line price is my asking price. If your coming to me at my convenience then I'll negotiate.

Last edited:

Sks985

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Slidell
    If your talking about the M&P 9C then they're right. New they sell for $450 at Buds

But to answer your question. I have my asking price and my bottom line price. If you want me to meet you my bottom line price is my asking price. If your coming to me at my convenience then I'll negotiate.

I hate when people quote Internet prices. These prices don't include shipping fees, cc fees, FFL fees, and of course the wait time to get it shipped (which is the worst to me).

For me in Slidell I don't have any FFL dealers that I'm willing to deal with (that I've met so far). And even if I would spend my money with them $30 is a bit steep to receive a FedEx and fill out a form.

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    Depends on the value of what I'm selling, what I'm selling it for, and how bad I want to move it, but I usually wont drive over half way to the buyer unless its worth it for me.

I've actually had a guy get mad at me because I did not want to drive 3 hours to meet him in his town. I offered to meet half way and he low balled me because he would have to drive.

fr3nchy524

resident asian shooter!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    new orleans
    im ok with driving within distances. usually within a hour of nola. i tend to find something in that direction that im meeting the person to do. say someone is from laffy, i'd suggest meeting in BR. then i'll call some friends up to hang out or dinner cause im in the area. makes it a great day. get some money for something I'm selling, and get to hang out with friends.

but i always try my best to list as much details as i can. it helps more if the buyer would text me and ask specifics, so i can tell them because i may have forgotten a detail. and i usually ask more then once if our price is agreed upon.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Trying to renegotiate at the meet after agreeing on a price? I would be too embarrassed to ever show my face around here if I pulled a stunt like that. I take arms trades and transactions seriously and as far as I'm concerned, I'm only as good as my word. If I agree to pay a price, then that's what I pay (provided it is as described). I arrive at a buy with the exact amount of money in an envelope and my father always taught me to look a man in the eye when you shake his hand after a transaction.

I'm still haunted by a trade I made on here many years ago. I promised someone some brass (a small bag of 357 brass) as part of the deal and I actually forgot it when I met the guy out of town. I felt awful but the trade or sale still went through and for the life of me I can't remember who it was. I think he was supposed to call me later and give me an address to mail it to but I never heard from the guy afterwards. If I could ever find out who the guy was, I'd gladly pay him 3 times the cost of it.

Top Bottom