Service Record Woes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    So I contacted BUPERS to get an original copy of my DD-214 (moved and it was "misplaced", don't ask).

On initial contact, they informed me that they "didn't have one" and it was "missing" in/from my record. They then informed me that by sending them a written request, I could have it "REBUILT" and it will take up to a year to do so.

With no other choice, I complied. Well, that was almost a year ago and I received it in the mail last week. After contacting them again wondering where it was and asking when I should be expecting it... they told me that I would have to submit another request because it was over a year.. EVEN THOUGH IT WAS GENERATED UNDER THE INITIAL REQUEST!

Now, here's my problem... I still have my DD-214 from my re-enlistment that has all awards/training/etc. to date at that time. However, the DD-214 they "rebuilt" is missing MOST of those entries!!!!

So... after contacting them today AGAIN... they instructed me to draft a letter and include my reenlistment DD-214, requesting that it be REBUILT AGAIN!!!!!!! Which could (and probably will) take up to another year to complete! Luckily I still had the document from my reenlistment! Why don't I just use that one you ask? Because on a reenlistment, DD-214 the bottom portion that states the type of discharge and your service classification code are not populated. Certain contracts and positions/employment opportunities require that documentation (even with "vouchers" - Meaning even with others that you've served with in the past giving you a thumbs up).

Not that I expected anything more or less... but it's still a cluster F#$K! Guess I'm on the bench for another year!

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    So I contacted BUPERS to get an original copy of my DD-214 (moved and it was "misplaced", don't ask).

On initial contact, they informed me that they "didn't have one" and it was "missing" in/from my record. They then informed me that by sending them a written request, I could have it "REBUILT" and it will take up to a year to do so.

With no other choice, I complied. Well, that was almost a year ago and I received it in the mail last week. Now, here's my problem... I still have my DD-214 from my re-enlistment that has all awards/training/etc. to date at that time. However, the DD-214 they "rebuilt" is missing MOST of those entries!!!!

So... after contacting them today AGAIN... they instructed me to draft a letter and include my reenlistment DD-214, requesting that it be REBUILT AGAIN!!!!!!! Which could (and probably will) take up to another year to complete! Luckily I still had the document from my reenlistment! Why don't I just use that one you ask? Because on a reenlistment, DD-214 the bottom portion that states the type of discharge and your service classification code are not populated. Certain contracts and positions/employment opportunities require that documentation (even with "vouchers" - Meaning even with others that you've served with in the past giving you a thumbs up).

Not that I expected anything more or less... but it's still a cluster F#$K! Guess I'm on the bench for another year!

sounds familiarly like dealing with the government.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    I have been going through the same thing with HQMC. Its been over a year and nothing but 2 copies of my medical record. They lost my 214 and my SRB so good thing I had a copy of my SRB to send them.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good luck. I feel for you. I suggest that if you are ever successful in reacquiring the document that you file it with the Clerk of Court in the Parish where you live. Even though I still have my original, I can always go to the Clerk and request a certified copy for use.

Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    That is one thing I will be going over with a fine tooth comb when I do my final transition appointment before I sing out on terminal leave to make sure they have everything that is supposed to be on there on it. I will then make myself some copies and have them certified and lock my originals up in my safe after I file a copy with the clerk of court here in LA or GA depending on where I can get a job offer and get hired on at.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I was talking with some Vets last night about awards that weren't on their 214 that should have been. Some said it was lazy clerks that didn't put the info on them. They were going to file to get a updated one with the awards they should have.

ddeacon1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    If you need a copy of the original at discharge, the separating PSD was supposed to send a copy to your state of home of record at EAOS. Contact the state's Veteran's Affair office.

ddeacon1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    Sorry...forgot one more thing. You can also go to the Board of Naval Corrections (BCNR). I have been told that there are statues of limitations and a decent amount of time that you would have to wait.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I was talking with some Vets last night about awards that weren't on their 214 that should have been. Some said it was lazy clerks that didn't put the info on them. They were going to file to get a updated one with the awards they should have.

This. I pissed off the paper pusher and somehow my CMB "disappeared". Been trying to get it awarded to me for 6 going on 7 years now. Congressman is only chance from what I hear.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    This. I pissed off the paper pusher and somehow my CMB "disappeared". Been trying to get it awarded to me for 6 going on 7 years now. Congressman is only chance from what I hear.
    Wow some 42a's can be dicks... Being I work in the same office as them I make sure everything is right... but then again right now my srb Is rather small Lol...

Top Bottom