Shallow thoughts by LC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    You can find all kinds of advice on the interwebs about how this technique or tactic is the bomb, or that one is just sure to fail. For every item you see one person list their reasons as to why it doesn't work, you can find other knowledgeable people who insist that it works great for them. Often, they are both right. What works for almost everyone else may not work for you. What everyone else hates may be just what you need. Granted some things, like trusting your life to a Hi-point, may be a bad idea in general, if all you have is a Hi-point, that's what you use.

The solution?

Train with what you have, focus on improving YOUR skill, not relying solely on one weapon, technique, gadget, scenario, etc. Any weapon should be simply a tool at your disposal. It is the fighter that determines the outcome. If you have not done so already, get training from a professional. However, do not take anyone's word as gospel when it comes to what is right for YOU. You are the only one who can determine that. Others may have never encountered and had to deal with things that are unique to you (maybe cross-eye dominance, bad knees, etc.). Many things that others would have zero use for are a great boon to someone else. Learn YOUR own shortcomings and strengths, and build your training around those.

Also, don't stop with paid training classes alone. Join some real world competition groups, and compete. Just try to judge what is going on and make sure the habits you pick up there don't get you killed somewhere else. If you can find some practical competition, though, it is often more valuable than standard live fire practice alone. It should not replace practice, but supplement it. It is when you are under the gun (timer, in this case) that you really see (short of having boots on the ground and getting shot at) where you and your gear are really at. A sling or gadget that works great in getting those shots on paper when you are taking your time shooting paper may be the same item that is killing your actual response times, or may cause you to fall to pieces when it craps out on you.

Take the time to FIND THIS STUFF OUT FOR YOURSELF. Learn from others, but beware any time someone tells you that a certain way is the only way- it's not. Your goal is to learn your way, and be the best that you can be- the only one you are in competition with is yourself, and it is your MINDSET and TRAINING, only SUPPLEMENTED by your gear that will carry you through, should the time to use it come.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Your goal is to learn your way, and be the best that you can be.

I would suggest that these are often mutually exclusive.

Training with a qualified instructor is a good first step. Practicing the skills you learned, in competition or by yourself, is the logical second step toward mastering a skill set.

Practicing by yourself, without benefit of training may work. Or you may just be reinforcing bad habits.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes permanent.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I am not saying you can be Bruce Lee by yourself- all I am saying is don't try to be Bruce Lee- be yourself. I know that probably doesn't make sense- I have my own "special" way of putting things. My point is simply that few rules are right for everyone 100% of the time, and it is up to each individual to find out what works for them, and not simply let someone else dictate that. Learn from others and yourself both.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I would suggest that these are often mutually exclusive.

Training with a qualified instructor is a good first step. Practicing the skills you learned, in competition or by yourself, is the logical second step toward mastering a skill set.

Practicing by yourself, without benefit of training may work. Or you may just be reinforcing bad habits.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes permanent.

I did not mean learn however you want, necessarily.

I meant put the mental and physical effort into figuring out what "the best way for you" is.

Yes, seek instruction, but question everything, and hold to that which is good.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    A sling or gadget that works great in getting those shots on paper when you are taking your time shooting paper may be the same item that is killing your actual response times, or may cause you to fall to pieces when it craps out on you.

This reminds me of a time at my hunting lease this summer. We shoot moccasins when we see them (our summer hunting). I came up on a monster one in the trail while on my ATV. It was a perfect example of a "High Stress" situation that did not allow time to think, just react. When I drew my G19 from IWB holster and went to fire, I realized the trigger felt very different. In fact, it felt like I did not even have my finger on the trigger. This caused me to try and think about what I was squeezing if it was not the trigger. So, I took my finger off, then looked down to see what I had. Of course, it was the trigger, I was just wearing those thick leather work gloves. All of this happened very quickly, but due to the fact that I have never shot a gun while wearing thick leather work gloves caused me loose that 1 second, missing the opportunity on the shot.

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    ...My point is simply that few rules are right for everyone 100% of the time, and it is up to each individual to find out what works for them, and not simply let someone else dictate that....

Yes, I get what you mean. It's somewhat like writing. To be great writer you sometimes have to break the rules. But, you have to know when to break them. And to do that you have to have a firm grasp, indeed almost mastery, of the rules first.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom